PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu in the news - BBC

Paddy Landau
October 28th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Ubuntu has made the news on BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8327082.stm).

Quite a nice summary, though existing Windows users may be put off by the statement that Windows and Mac programs won't run on it.

ElSlunko
October 28th, 2009, 08:59 AM
It's good to see the exposure. The windows/apple software statement should definately be acknowledge since it is one of the pitfalls of going Ubuntu. Would've been nice if they would've acknowledge that there are alterternatives to some popular software.

earthpigg
October 28th, 2009, 09:09 AM
the interviewer's claim that he was told that he "had" to enter "computer code" and that this was somehow unique to ubuntu is quite dubious:

1) ever called your ISP's tech support with connection issues? regardless of OS, one of the first things they will tell you to do is type "ping blabla.com" into a terminal. does this not qualify as "computer code" too??

2) was he told on ubuntuforums.org that he HAD to use "computer code", or was that simply the easiest way for the community volunteer (ie: me and you) to get the job done? did he specifically ask for a point-and-click method, or did he simply want his objective reached as quickly as possible? two entirely different things! as we all know, often it is quicker for us to tell a new user to type a terminal command than point-and-click to 50 different places. pointing and clicking to 50 different places may be the only option avilable on a windows machine, but i see the choice as a feature of ubuntu.

EDIT: also, is there some BBC community / comments / discussion forums at the news.bbc.site that i cannot find? i would be very interested in dispelling the not-quite-perfect information they have been distributing lately.

Paddy Landau
October 28th, 2009, 09:21 AM
is there some BBC community / comments / discussion forums at the news.bbc.site that i cannot find? i would be very interested in dispelling the not-quite-perfect information they have been distributing lately.
I don't think so, but I wouldn't bother, really. News items always have to be selective over what they report by the very nature of limited space and time, and so always will be selective.

The mere fact that it's been reported more and more in favourable terms is good, as it provides extra competition to the massive almost-duopoly there.

There have been a couple of other reports on the BBC lately:
Ubuntu readies the Karmic Koala (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8326264.stm)
Ubuntu set to debut on netbooks (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7729978.stm) (a little dated)

It would be nice to see other Linux reports, too, but Ubuntu, currently, is probably the best ambassador for Linux.

speedwell68
October 28th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I think that was a very balanced interview which painted Ubuntu in a favourable light. With reference to the 'typing in computer code' issue, this very morning I had to advise a Dell netbook user on how to start the Firefox profile manager in Ubuntu. The quickest and easiest way I know is this in the terminal...

firefox -profilemanager

Needless to say the user very nearly crapped themselves at the thought of even opening the Terminal. The trouble is that average computer users have been indoctrinated into thinking that the command line is mad, bad and dangerous to know. So when you come to use Ubuntu and then have issues, you will wind up on these forums and very often us more capable users will present a solution to a problem using the command line, because it is usually the easiest and fastest way. Unfortunately this puts the less daring noob users off, because of the prior anti-command line indoctrination they have received.

Paddy Landau
October 28th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I think that was a very balanced interview which painted Ubuntu in a favourable light.
I agree.

... this very morning I had to advise a Dell netbook user ... the user very nearly crapped themselves at the thought of even opening the Terminal.
Most users will be happy with opening an editor. So, how about framing the terminal as a clever text editor? "The terminal is like a text editor, only it tells you immediately if anything is wrong with what you've typed."

It may be worth a try!

Johnsie
October 28th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Normal computer users want and expect a clean, good looking WIMP interface. Having to type a technical computer code/commands to get a result is not acceptable to most people.

Yes, we might like the command line stuff... But that's because we are nerds and think in technical ways. Most people don't and that's why user-friendly inutuitive gui's are necessary. The only reason computers are mainstream today was the invention of the GUI.

It's important to listen to other peoples criticism rather than just try to tear them apart because you don't think like they do.

Tibuda
October 28th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I think that was a very balanced interview which painted Ubuntu in a favourable light. With reference to the 'typing in computer code' issue, this very morning I had to advise a Dell netbook user on how to start the Firefox profile manager in Ubuntu. The quickest and easiest way I know is this in the terminal...

firefox -profilemanager

Needless to say the user very nearly crapped themselves at the thought of even opening the Terminal. The trouble is that average computer users have been indoctrinated into thinking that the command line is mad, bad and dangerous to know. So when you come to use Ubuntu and then have issues, you will wind up on these forums and very often us more capable users will present a solution to a problem using the command line, because it is usually the easiest and fastest way. Unfortunately this puts the less daring noob users off, because of the prior anti-command line indoctrination they have received.

or alt+f2

pwnst*r
October 28th, 2009, 01:28 PM
old

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1302299&highlight=bbc

Paddy Landau
October 29th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Another mention.

How to run your PC for free (http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/28102009/389/run-pc-free.html)

Zoot7
October 29th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Ubuntu has been getting a lot of exposure lately. About time I say! :)