PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] problem in nautillus?

baffle-boy
October 28th, 2009, 07:21 AM
i used to have ubuntu installed, and i wanted to uninstall it and try a bunch of distros of linux for a while. so i did.... but when i popped in the exact same cd i used to install ubuntu jaunty, and went to "try without any changes to computer" it appears to load up fine, then i get an error message saying this:

sorry the program "nautillus" closed unexpectedly your computer does not have enough free memory to automatically analyze the problem and send a report to the developers.

the two panels showed up fine, but there was no background, and i could'nt browse files (nautillus is the file manager right?), i was, however able to use other programs like the calculator. the only changes i have made to my computer since the last installation was adding a second stick of RAM, which was recognized in xp, open SUSE, and linux mint... in fact i was even able to try out kubuntu from a live cd.

cwsnyder
October 28th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Have you tried the option to check your memory? You may have developed a memory error.

baffle-boy
October 29th, 2009, 01:20 AM
i did run a memory check and it said that there was no errors. im pretty sure that i installed the new memory before i removed ubuntu, so it was working fine with it. the problem is likely something to do with ubuntu not liking my computer. two copies of the disk didn't work and that is certainly weird... any help? i kind of want it back on my computer...

baffle-boy
October 29th, 2009, 05:43 AM
ok... so obviously it cant be anything wrong with my computer, as i have installed ubuntu on it before, and I'm testing out fedora, kubuntu, and open SUSE successfully. It cant be a problem with nautilus itself, as it worked in the gnome versions of other OSes. and it cant be ubuntu because i tried the very same CD that worked before, and one that a friend of mine got from the shipit service. so who is up for a puzzle??? (i want ubuntu back T-T )