PDA

View Full Version : Raising awareness of ShipIt

3rdalbum
October 28th, 2009, 05:26 AM
On OzBargain (a site for submitting and looking at bargains in Australia) a lot of students were making a fuss about being offered Windows 7 Upgrade for $50. This annoyed me somewhat, because I'm sick of hearing about Win 7.

So I submitted Ubuntu under the "Freebies" section: http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/18051

"Canonical, the sponsors of Ubuntu, are sending out free CDs of the latest Ubuntu 9.10; you don’t pay for the CD and you don’t pay for shipping. They are usually one pound sterling each at the Ubuntu Store plus shipping."

On this site, even the submissions that are not approved will show up on the front page. So yeah, a couple of people who'd never tried Ubuntu requested CDs; and someone else downloaded it.

Maybe you should all find your local bargain hunters websites and submit the Shipit service to them?

Mr. Picklesworth
October 28th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Probably worth mentioning there that lots of people order CDs who can just download the disk images with an official torrent. It's a waste of Canonical's money and the Earth's resources. That money could be better spent on other things.

The free ShipIt service is for people who can't get an Ubuntu disk in another way. For example, users with dial-up or no Internet connections or who honestly can't afford the necessary bandwidth. Let's save it for them, please..

nmccrina
October 28th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Slashdot just mentioned ShipIt (too lazy to go get a link). You can't get much more visibility than that, especially amongst the people that are most likely to try Ubuntu or Linux out.

EDIT: Of course, most Slashdotters obviously have internet access to get an iso with. :P

Mr. Picklesworth
October 28th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Slashdot just mentioned ShipIt (too lazy to go get a link). You can't get much more visibility than that, especially amongst the people that are most likely to try Ubuntu or Linux out.

EDIT: Of course, most Slashdotters obviously have internet access to get an iso with. :P

Here you go:
http://linux.slashdot.org/story/09/10/26/1536252/Canonical-Halts-Ubuntu-CD-Free-for-all

TopEnder
October 28th, 2009, 06:40 AM
On OzBargain (a site for submitting and looking at bargains in Australia) a lot of students were making a fuss about being offered Windows 7 Upgrade for $50. This annoyed me somewhat, because I'm sick of hearing about Win 7.

So I submitted Ubuntu under the "Freebies" section: http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/18051

"Canonical, the sponsors of Ubuntu, are sending out free CDs of the latest Ubuntu 9.10; you donít pay for the CD and you donít pay for shipping. They are usually one pound sterling each at the Ubuntu Store plus shipping."

On this site, even the submissions that are not approved will show up on the front page. So yeah, a couple of people who'd never tried Ubuntu requested CDs; and someone else downloaded it.

Maybe you should all find your local bargain hunters websites and submit the Shipit service to them?

Agree totally with you about Win 7, I thought this Forum was for those of us lucky enough to use Ubuntu.
My son a Windows user is trying to get his upgrade to Win 7 from Hp ($20.00US),regardless of what is filled in the application on-line form it is rejected, we are not beaten yet may have to send all supporting documentation by Australian Post.

Back to the better OS, there is a chap in Melbourne that will send you an Ubuntu 9.04 Live CD 32/64bit for $2.00 (Aus) in postage stamps, sorry International Forum members, I hope he will do the same for future upgrades. Take care

ubuntu27
October 28th, 2009, 06:58 AM

It says that I do not have the privileges of accessing the site

3rdalbum
October 28th, 2009, 08:39 AM
It says that I do not have the privileges of accessing the site

Hmm yeah that link isn't working for me unless I'm logged in; try www.ozbargain.com and click on the Freebies link.