PDA

View Full Version : Repositories Being REALLY Slow

Unanimated
October 28th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Anybody noticed the repos being ridiculously slow recently? I'm trying to download Denemo, and the 44 files it has to download is going to take 1-2 hours that I barely have, not to mention the time I need to actually use the program itself. There's nobody else on my network doing anything internet related, and closing out of every program that might use the internet connection STILL makes it slow. And I know it's the repos because a 30MB file from CNET takes about 2 minutes to download. But seriously, has anybody noticed this huge change in speed?

mthei
October 28th, 2009, 01:09 AM
It could either be your particular mirror is having some issues/maintenance/downtime, or that it's just that time of year when the Ubuntu servers are going to be overloaded for the next week or so.

coolbrook
October 28th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I'm using the best of 4 or 5 mirrors for my location/connection. All is well over here.

pastalavista
October 28th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Anybody noticed the repos being ridiculously slow recently? I'm trying to download Denemo, and the 44 files it has to download is going to take 1-2 hours that I barely have, not to mention the time I need to actually use the program itself. There's nobody else on my network doing anything internet related, and closing out of every program that might use the internet connection STILL makes it slow. And I know it's the repos because a 30MB file from CNET takes about 2 minutes to download. But seriously, has anybody noticed this huge change in speed?

You can select the fastest repository in 'Software Sources' in the System-> Administration menu. Click the dropdown labeled 'Download from:' and select 'other' and then click 'select best server'

cdekter
October 28th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Use the mirror, Luke!

Seriously, the apt mirrors have to be one of the best-kept secrets of Ubuntu-land :p

3rdalbum
October 28th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Some Ubuntu mirrors might have fallen behind on Karmic updates and are currently being synced with the main Ubuntu server, causing slowdown. If you're using the main Ubuntu server, then it's probably slow because it's syncing with mirrors from all around the world that have fallen behind on Karmic updates...

cariboo
October 28th, 2009, 03:22 AM
I've been getting 600Kb+ from the main Canadian mirror, while from the main Ubuntu mirror I've been lucky if I get 90Kb download speeds.

sports fan Matt
October 28th, 2009, 03:47 AM
the best one in the us, astro.uchicago.edu is broken it appears

Regenweald
October 28th, 2009, 04:00 AM
I look forward to this thread again 2 days before Lucid's release ;)

days_of_ruin
October 28th, 2009, 04:00 AM
the best one in the us, astro.uchicago.edu is broken it appears

Yeah, what's up with that?

sports fan Matt
October 28th, 2009, 04:06 AM
It has been broken for a long time. I tried when both Jaunty & hardy were released and IIRC, the same held true then.

JDShu
October 28th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Use the mirror, Luke!

Seriously, the apt mirrors have to be one of the best-kept secrets of Ubuntu-land :p

It certainly is! They probably need to be emphasized more somewhere, though I dunno where.