PDA

View Full Version : Basic bash script help

chuuk
October 27th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Hi,

I want a script that can output all the .s, .o and executable files in the current directory. So far, I've got this far:

1 for X in *.s *.o
2 do
3 echo $X
4 done

But I don't know how to search for executables because they don't have any extension. What would be an easy way of doing this?

Cheers

PS: I don't want to use find/grep because I might want to modify the code to do more later on.

djurny
October 27th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Hi,

I want a script that can output all the .s, .o and executable files in the current directory. So far, I've got this far:

1 for X in *.s *.o
2 do
3 echo $X
4 done

But I don't know how to search for executables because they don't have any extension. What would be an easy way of doing this?

Cheers

PS: I don't want to use find/grep because I might want to modify the code to do more later on.

maybe just

ls *.s *.o
and something like

for f in "$(ls *)"; do
[ -x ${f} ] || continue
echo "${f}"
done

the last snippet could be done more efficiently, but i cannot think of something at the mo..

djurny
October 27th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Hi,

1 for X in *.s *.o
2 do
3 echo $X
4 done

Cheers

maybe just

ls *.s *.o
and something like

files="$(ls *)"
for f in ${files}; do
[ -x ${f} ] || continue
echo "${f}"
done

the last snippet could be done more efficiently, but i cannot think of something at the mo..

chuuk
October 27th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Ok, me again. So I'm trying out if statements:

1 for X in *
2 do
3 if [ -f $X]
4 then echo "hello"
5 fi
6 done

Why does this refuse to work?

Cheers

ghostdog74
October 28th, 2009, 02:06 AM
maybe just

ls *.s *.o
and something like

for f in "$(ls *)"; do
[ -x ${f} ] || continue
echo "${f}"
done

no need ls , its useless and written like that is prone to white space in file names problem

ghostdog74
October 28th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Ok, me again. So I'm trying out if statements:

1 for X in *
2 do
3 if [ -f $X]
4 then echo "hello"
5 fi
6 done

Why does this refuse to work?

Cheers

to check for execute permission use -x... see man test for info

for x in *
do
if [ -x "$x" ];then
# do something
fi
done

falconindy
October 28th, 2009, 06:19 AM
find . -type f -executable
Add a '-maxdepth 1' before -type if you want to limit it to your current directory.

Solutions using 'ls' as part of a for loop will fail on files with white space in the name.

djurny
October 28th, 2009, 06:22 AM
no need ls , its useless and written like that is prone to white space in file names problem
if you are present in an empty directory, and bluntly use

for i in *; do ..; done
i will be '*' .. the [ -x * ] || .. will also fail ;)

edit

for i in *; do
# break if no files found
[ "${i}" = "*" ] && break

# this will interpret whitespace as separators
echo ${i}
ls ${i}

# this will NOT interpret whitespace as separators..
# quotes rule :)
echo "i='${i}'"
ls "${i}"
done

ghostdog74
October 28th, 2009, 10:24 AM
don't understand what you are trying to say. if you run the for loop on an empty directory,

$ ls -ltr
total 0
$ for i in *; do if [ -x "$i" ];then echo "executable"; fi; done

"executable" is not echoed in the above, which is correct behaviour. what's the deal with "spaces" in an empty directory?

djurny
October 28th, 2009, 10:50 AM
the spaces have nothing to do with an empty directory
its about the expansion your shell (bash) performs;

for i in *; do echo "i='${i}'"; done
the '*' in the for statement will be expanded to all files your shell finds in the current directory.. if there are no files present in the current directory, this snippet will produce

i='*'on your terminal.

the whitespace remark is another cup o'tea.. most commands use the whitespace (space) as a parameter separator, which will not behave as expected in some cases..

if you do

for i in *; do cat ${i}; done and your directory contains filenames with whitespaces in them, e.g.

./a b c
./d e f
./ghi
the shell will expand '*' to 'a b c d e f ghi'.. for will iterate that string and assign i to each item in the expanded '*' string.. what happens next is not what you would expect; for each of the items,
ls ${i} will be executed, resulting in

ls a b c
ls d e f
ls ghi
this looks normal, but ls is executed with its argv filled with a b c, with whitespace as its separator.. in other words,

argv[1]=a argv[2]=b argv[3]=c
this will be equivalent to

ls a
ls b
ls c
ls d

etc..

ghostdog74
October 28th, 2009, 11:43 AM
the spaces have nothing to do with an empty directory
its about the expansion your shell (bash) performs;

the '*' in the for statement will be expanded to all files your shell finds in the current directory.. if there are no files present in the current directory, this snippet will produce

i='*'on your terminal.

in the above, you are just echoing out whats the value of the variable is and doing nothing else. BUT i am talking about doing this:

for i in *; do if [ -x "$i" ];then echo "executable"; fi; done

on an empty directory like what you said. in this case, there is a specific check on what $i is before anything is done on that variable.

djurny
October 28th, 2009, 12:08 PM
in the above, you are just echoing out whats the value of the variable is and doing nothing else. BUT i am talking about doing this:

for i in *; do if [ -x "$i" ];then echo "executable"; fi; done

on an empty directory like what you said. in this case, there is a specific check on what $i is before anything is done on that variable.
true, but in that example, [ -x "$i" ] is saved by the quotes :) as it will actually check if a file called '*' is executable or not.. even though there is no file called '*' in the current directory..

ghostdog74
October 28th, 2009, 12:40 PM
true, but in that example, [ -x "$i" ] is saved by the quotes :) as it will actually check if a file called '*' is executable or not.. even though there is no file called '*' in the current directory..
that's the correct behaviour whether you are in an empty directory of a directory with files. When you iterate files and directories using for loops, you will one way or the other check whether they are directories of files or whether they exists etc according to the task at hand...eg
the common things to do when iterating files using for loop

for f in *
do
if [ -d "$f" ]; then
echo "$f is a directory and do something"
fi
if [ -f "$f" ] ;then
echo "$f is a file and do something"
fi
# and so on
done

you don't just iterate the files and do nothing except echoing out their file names.

Arndt
October 28th, 2009, 01:11 PM
that's the correct behaviour whether you are in an empty directory of a directory with files. When you iterate files and directories using for loops, you will one way or the other check whether they are directories of files or whether they exists etc according to the task at hand...eg

for f in *
do
if [ -d "$f" ]; then
fi
if [ -f "$f" ] ;then
fi
# and so on
done

you don't just iterate the files and do nothing except echoing out their file names.

You might have an 'else' branch in the script. Or the test might be "is the file not executable".

ghostdog74
October 28th, 2009, 02:01 PM
You might have an 'else' branch in the script. Or the test might be "is the file not executable".

that was done up as a quick example...

Arndt
October 28th, 2009, 02:07 PM
that was done up as a quick example...

Well, I meant, in that case the script may report something spurious like "the file * is not executable".

djurny
October 28th, 2009, 02:35 PM

for f in *
do
if [ -d "$f" ]; then
fi
if [ -f "$f" ] ;then
fi
# and so on
done

true, but, i was trying to say that it is a bit weird iterating a for loop for something in case that there is no reason to iterate it..

in c:

for (i = 0; i != 0; ++i) {
printf("no way\n");
}

will not printf anything, as i is already 0..

in the case of the script example,

for i in *; do
echo "no way"
done

'*' is actually empty, that is, the shell wildcard expansion fails on an empty directory.. the for loop is iterated anyway.. regardless the wildcard expansion 'result'.. the script for will actually echo "no way" in this case..!

it gets even more interesting/annoying when you actually have a file called '*' on your filesystem :D

touch \* abc def ghi

ghostdog74
October 28th, 2009, 03:05 PM
'*' is actually empty, that is, the shell wildcard expansion fails on an empty directory.. the for loop is iterated anyway.. regardless the wildcard expansion 'result'.. the script for will actually echo "no way" in this case..!

i know what you mean. but you are detracting from our discussion. Why would he want to iterate the directory if its empty? please look at the first post again. he is clearly trying to find .so and .o files. he should write his code this way without any ls:

for f in *.so *.o
do
if [ -e "$i" -a -x "$i" ];then
echo "$i exists and do something"
fi
done

or the checking can be omitted if he is sure there are .so and .o files in the directory.

it gets even more interesting/annoying when you actually have a file called '*' on your filesystem :D

if * is a file, it will just act as a file.

$ echo "test" > *
$ for i in *; do echo "$i"; done
$ for i in *; do rm -f $i; done
$ ls
$

so why is it "annoying"?? really don't understand