PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can not boot from USB drive to install Ubuntu

cody7002002
October 27th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I'm running ubuntu on an Eeepc 1000HE and I've tried creating a USB startup disk from three different usb flash drives using the "USB startup disk creator" in ubuntu but none of them will boot upon startup. I've gone into the settings and changed the boot order so that the usb drive will boot first but even after doing that, it won't boot.

Is there something else I need to do? Is there another way I can make it boot?

lukeiamyourfather
October 27th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Usually with a USB flash drive you have to explicitly tell the system to boot from it at startup, the BIOS options for booting order will usually not recognize a USB flash drive correctly. When it boots there's a key for selecting a boot device, not sure what it is on that system but probably one of the function keys. The flash drive should show up in the boot device selection and select it there. Cheers!

cody7002002
October 27th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Thanks for that but I need some more specific information

lukeiamyourfather
October 27th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Thanks for that but I need some more specific information

Check your manual for what key to press when booting to get the boot device selection prompt. Its different for each system. If you don't have the manual then check the Asus site for the PDF version of the manual. Cheers!

Muskegman
October 28th, 2009, 01:33 AM
It should say "USB KEY" somewhere in the BIOS boot options, select that for booting from the USB flash drive

yvinogradov
October 28th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Check your manual for what key to press when booting to get the boot device selection prompt. Its different for each system. If you don't have the manual then check the Asus site for the PDF version of the manual. Cheers!

I think it's the ESC key - press it and keep your finger on it till the menu comes up.