PDA

View Full Version : wish gedit had a text inputline for directories and files

sdowney717
October 27th, 2009, 04:51 PM
i would like to be able to paste in a line of text like
/etc/somedir/anotherweirddir/stillanotherdir/somefilename

so many times on the forums people post lines to files and you have to go to the terminal to open these files.

ddarsow
October 27th, 2009, 04:59 PM

so many times on the forums people post lines to files and you have to go to the terminal to open these files.

Try Gnome Do or Deskbar--either of these will do that. I prefer GnomeDo, but it is mostly because I am more used to using it I suppose.

With Gnome Do all you have to do is copy the desired location, paste (I just hit Ctrl+v) & hit enter.

The only downside I see is that often the scenario you present will want to open a file with sudo privileges and that must be done from the terminal. Either way, the terminal is your friend!

23meg
October 27th, 2009, 05:36 PM

Hit Alt + F2, paste the line, hit Enter.

VMC
October 27th, 2009, 05:46 PM

Maybe I'm missing the point here, but you can copy&paste the aforementioned text into gedit. Or do you mean to be able to have hypertext ability?

Tibuda
October 27th, 2009, 05:53 PM
What about Open Gedit > File menu > Open > Paste the file path > Click Ok. You would need to run Gedit as root if you don't have the rights to edit such file.

sdowney717
October 27th, 2009, 07:07 PM
What about Open Gedit > File menu > Open > Paste the file path > Click Ok. You would need to run Gedit as root if you don't have the rights to edit such file.

Tibuda
October 27th, 2009, 07:09 PM
i dont see any place to paste anything?

click on that pencil.

sdowney717
October 27th, 2009, 07:11 PM
thankyou very much!
that i did not know about.