PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade Freeze

guppygould
October 27th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Hey all, I've just tried to update to the 9.10 beta. Everytime I press the 'upgrade' button in update-manager it freezes and I have to 'force quit' it. Is there any other way I can upgrade?

I'd really like to try the beta now as most of the bugs have probably been ironed out and the servers will be taking a hammering when the final release is out in a few days.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Leo

jheaton5
October 27th, 2009, 02:11 PM
See this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1302538)

guppygould
October 27th, 2009, 02:34 PM
See this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1302538)

Cheers for the reply. I looked at those instructions you posted; do I need to change every 'jaunty' in the sources file to 'karmic'?

Thanks,

-Leo

adalal
October 27th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Cheers for the reply. I looked at those instructions you posted; do I need to change every 'jaunty' in the sources file to 'karmic'?

Thanks,

-Leo

I dont really think you have to change every repository address. Most of them should automatically change to karmic. However, you should have a look after the upgrade, and probably replace the two or three repos that haven't changed.

slakkie
October 27th, 2009, 02:39 PM

Thanks,

-Leo

Hi, do it the official Ubuntu way:

sudo aptitude install update-manager-core
sudo do-release-upgrade -d

jheaton5
October 27th, 2009, 03:07 PM

Thanks,

-Leo

Yes. In gedit ^h opens a find and replace dialogue box.

jheaton5
October 27th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Hi, do it the official Ubuntu way:

sudo aptitude install update-manager-core
sudo do-release-upgrade -d

Good process unless something breaks in the process. Where does he begin to fix it?

slakkie
October 27th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Good process unless something breaks in the process. Where does he begin to fix it?

Same way he does it via your manual way. From the author of update-manager: "It is the same, but do-release-upgrade has more logs."

So you would have more info for troubleshooting. Perhaps compare your way with do-release-upgrade. Check /var/log/dist-upgrade.

guppygould
October 27th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Yes. In gedit ^h opens a find and replace dialogue box.

I followed the process you gave and it has updated and installed a lot of stuff but I'm still in Jaunty. Any ideas?

jheaton5
October 27th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I followed the process you gave and it has updated and installed a lot of stuff but I'm still in Jaunty. Any ideas?

Did you remember to change your /etc/apt/sources from Jaunty to Karmic?

guppygould
October 27th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Did you remember to change your /etc/apt/sources from Jaunty to Karmic?

Yeah, everything is 'karmic' now in that file.

I tried the other method that was listed in this thread, but it just hangs on 'checking for updates'

I don't know if this is anything related or not.

jheaton5
October 27th, 2009, 06:46 PM
So tell us what it's doing. Are you booted into Jaunty? Post the result of
$ uname -a
Post your /boot/grub/menu.lst file.

guppygould
October 27th, 2009, 06:54 PM
So tell us what it's doing. Are you booted into Jaunty? Post the result of
$ uname -a
Post your /boot/grub/menu.lst file.

I've just sorted it out. I left my computer searching for updates for about 50 minutes and it found it eventually. I've just booted into Karmic for the first time.

Thankyou for the help.

-Leo