PDA

View Full Version : Will you be upgrading to 9.10?

RichardLinx
October 27th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I'm bored, and I haven't made a thread in a while. So why not? Another "Will you be upgrading thread" is always nice to have. If anything, it's practically a tradition for UF.

So, will you be upgrading to Ubuntu 9.10? If you are, what is your reason for doing so? The same for people on the opposite side of the fence, why won't you be upgrading?

mybunche
October 27th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Only on my netbook I'll upgrade to 9.10 though.

My desktop still runs Ubuntu 8.04 which I depend upon for my computing needs so I'll keep this until the next LTS is released or until 8.04's end-of-life.

jso2897
October 27th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I've installed it on one of my more powerful boxes, and it's running fine - but so far, I haven't been able to get it to run on any of my old PIII boxes that I use for file servers and web browsing. The kernels won't load after installation.
But this is only RC, so I'll try again. later.

samjh
October 27th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I'm on RC right now, so it'll just be an update for me. :)

TwiceOver
October 27th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Yes, I will clean install it on both my laptop and desktop.

Maybe server when I get all the parts in.

hoppipolla
October 27th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I've been on it for a while but it will be nice to see the final release! :)

bartos
October 27th, 2009, 01:41 PM
will be upgrading from 9.04. If it kills something, then clean install.

RichardLinx
October 27th, 2009, 01:43 PM
will be upgrading from 9.04. If it kills something, then clean install.

If it breaks something, that will seem like the biggest waste of download ever. dist-upgrade from what I remember was as large as downloading the .iso it's self. At least if it's successful you'll still have all your installed programs. :)

SirBismuth
October 27th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Done a clean install since 8.04, and don't plan on changing.

My work PC will get Karmic next week sometime. Will upgrade (also clean install) to Ultimate Edition 2.4 at home, when it's released.

B

sledge73
October 27th, 2009, 01:47 PM
will upgrade from r.c. but that's what I have a separate home partition for.

ukripper
October 27th, 2009, 01:48 PM
I always do clean install because of three reasons:
1. It takes less time
2. To take benefit of new added features.
3. In my work, downtime of any particular machine performing clean install is roughly 10 times less as opposed to the upgrade(which is a very time consuming process).

Nerd King
October 27th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Have done already. It was really rocky for a while, very unstable, but it's settling down nicely to be a really smooth OS. On a separate note (re: your sig) been playing with suse 11.2 today but it's not good enough to move me from Ubuntu.

RichardLinx
October 27th, 2009, 01:53 PM
On a separate note (re: your sig) been playing with suse 11.2 today but it's not good enough to move me from Ubuntu.

That's a discussion for another thread. I'll make sure to bring it up when both have been released for a while. :) (Unless someone beats me to it!)

bartos
If it breaks something, that will seem like the biggest waste of download ever. dist-upgrade from what I remember was as large as downloading the .iso it's self. At least if it's successful you'll still have all your installed programs. :)

Exactly.

I have done good with upgrades. or Lucky.

rolnics
I'm going to sit on the fence with this one.

I've not been on the forums much recently and haven't been keeping up with the latest news. But what I'm reading today I'm kinda tempted with some of new features such as ext4 and Grub2. Plus 8.04 ain't broke so ... why mess with it?

I have downloaded a live cd of the RC, but I won't get all the features without a clean install will I?

Nerd King
October 27th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Trust me it's a big leap from 8.04, which is beginning to look a little dated in comparison. Gnome's really looking good, the network manager is much better (very very easy, and with bluetooth to mobile phone modem a new addition in 9.10) and Nautilus's tabbed browsing alone is worth going to 8.10 or above. Plus performance on ATI, NVIDIA and Intel cards seems to be damn good on the machines I've tested.
Try it in a VM and see what you think, the experience is much better in my view.

Johnsie
October 27th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I'm waiting for Service Pack 1. Normally when a new release comes out a ton of migration issues are discovered within the first week. Don't see the point in taking the risk if my computer is already stable.

Being a technet subscriber I have been using Windows 7 RTM for the last 3 months and don't really spend alot of time in the Ubuntu anymore.

Mornedhel
October 27th, 2009, 03:20 PM
I want octave 3.2 and evince 2.28. Haven't been able to get a stable evince 2.28 running (got one from a very unofficial PPA, was slooooow, borked my dependencies) and had to compile octave 3.2 from source, a not entirely pleasant experience. 3.0 wouldn't run the toolbox I use.

Both are in Karmic's repositories, so I'm considering a clean install to replace my current Jaunty. I've heard that in-place upgrading is risky for 9.04 -> 9.10, with the boot sequence transitioning to Upstart. Previous in-place upgrades have never worked for me anyway.

Must not forget to back up configuration files this time around...

slakkie
October 27th, 2009, 03:27 PM
My answer is three-fold:

Yes, I will upgrade from Hardy.
No, I'm already running 9.10 since alpha 2
No, I'm going to freshly install it.

wojox
October 27th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Not until the mini.iso comes out.

Nerd King
October 27th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I want octave 3.2 and evince 2.28. Haven't been able to get a stable evince 2.28 running (got one from a very unofficial PPA, was slooooow, borked my dependencies) and had to compile octave 3.2 from source, a not entirely pleasant experience. 3.0 wouldn't run the toolbox I use.

Both are in Karmic's repositories, so I'm considering a clean install to replace my current Jaunty. I've heard that in-place upgrading is risky for 9.04 -> 9.10, with the boot sequence transitioning to Upstart. Previous in-place upgrades have never worked for me anyway.

Must not forget to back up configuration files this time around...
I've upgraded 2 boxes without trouble so far.

madhi19
October 27th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I tried upgrading to the beta but the result was not really all that great so I returned to jaunty with a clean install. Since my jaunty is really stable at the moment am tempted to skip Karmic and wait for the LTS in six months. I probably download the final ISO and do some live usb testing next weekend.

Bachstelze
October 27th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Not until the mini.iso comes out.

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/karmic/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/mini.iso

jezjones
October 27th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I am trying to find out if 9.10 and its kernel upgrade still means i will need to run the server kernel to get my 4gb of ram.
Also trying to find out what the changes to the audio side of things are.. so far given that i cannot find the change list in details (i have seen the over view ones) i am probably going to upgrade, but not until i have confirmed both of these changes.

wojox
October 27th, 2009, 03:37 PM
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/karmic/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/mini.iso

Cool thanks. I was wondering where it was. I kept looking on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

R3DHA7user
October 27th, 2009, 03:40 PM
No, not upgrading yet. No real reason to do so. Things are stable, all programs work perfectly, all my "stuff" is just where it should be....LOL

Why screw with a good thing?
Remember kids: "Cutting Edge" isn't that great if in the end you're the one that ends up getting....CUT! ;)

raccaman
October 27th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I've installed RC version... i think it's enough stable to use everyday... so i'll upgrade it the 29th

zakany
October 27th, 2009, 04:07 PM
I plan to upgrade at next LTS version.

yey
October 27th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I might upgrade to 9.10 after a month from the release. Give time for the common bugs to appear.

slakkie
October 27th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Cool thanks. I was wondering where it was. I kept looking on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

I added Karmic, but since it not yet officially released:

## Uncomment the line for alpha version and add filesize after file exists
## * [[http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/karmic/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/mini.iso|Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" Minimal CD]] 13MB (MD5: 5aca33a00b6be640ae71310de49a83a0, SHA1: 694f297f97913ba9888f4a72c8a6243c3f37c63a)

dearingj
October 27th, 2009, 07:26 PM
You need to add a couple more options, I think:
"Yes, upgrading from Jaunty once the release is out", and "Yes, multiple answers".
I've got multiple computers, one of which will get a new install, one will get an upgrade from Jaunty when Karmic is released, and the rest are running the RC.

It started with one extra, barely-ever-used computer being upgraded from Jaunty to Karmic Alpha 3, because I wanted to test it and catch any bugs. It worked without any software problems, and the speed improvement was noticeable. Then I decided that I'd be more likely to catch bugs if I upgrade one of the computers that I use regularly - i found a few bugs, and they were fixed, and the addition of automatic online backups (Ubuntu One) is really nice.

I have no real reason to keep Jaunty because, with the exception of my favorite BitTorrent client (Deluge), everything works at least as well under Karmic.

nubimax
October 27th, 2009, 07:45 PM
No 8.04 meets all my needs at this time and is stable. no need to change.
M.

Sarai the Geek
October 27th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I'm going to wait for them to finish #! 9.10 before I upgrade!

R3DHA7user
October 27th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I plan to upgrade at next LTS version.

My point exactly with the above "cutting edge" comment. Wait at least until things are certified stable. Right now my box is, so why jump to something that I'm unsure will be for another month + (?)

lisati
October 27th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I'll probably wait a few days after the "official" release, partly to go easy on the servers, partly to get a feel for what issues people are raising. Haven't decided whether to do a clean install or an update yet, but the Vista partition on my laptop might benefit from a cleanup while I'm at it.

rippin
October 27th, 2009, 08:07 PM
<snip>
So, will you be upgrading to Ubuntu 9.10? If you are, what is your reason for doing so? The same for people on the opposite side of the fence, why won't you be upgrading?

IF I do it'll be weeks after it's out. Using 9.04 without problem and am in no hurry to find out if I'll like GRUB2 ... that one has me uncomfortable at this time. I'm not the sort to upgrade solely for "new bells and whistles" - no offense to anyone. Plus, I did a stripped down install - no sudo, GNOME, kitchen sink and whatnot. Simply XFCE4 and what I need; only 54 procs on the Desktop.

The Thug
October 27th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I've been running 9.10 Beta for a couple of weeks with no real problems.

Going to do a clean install as I want to re-organise my hard drive partitions to make it easier for future upgrades.

PhilGil
October 27th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Did a clean install of the RC on my home computer as I wanted to re-organize my disk partitions and upgrade to ext4. Had a few initial problems but things are mostly sorted now. Next time, I'll wait until after the final release - I'm not really all that fond of troubleshooting problems. Since I'm already committed to 9.10, I'll do an upgrade install shortly after the final release.

For now, my office computer will remain at 9.04 as it's stable and does what I need it to do. I'll probably upgrade next year to the new LTS release.

Sunflower1970
October 27th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Yep. Doing a clean install on one desktop & laptop. Desktop has 8.04 LTS on it and laptop has 8.10 on it. I want to repartition both, so I've been backing up my data on an external hard drive for the past month.

Chame_Wizard
October 27th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Clean install,always good.:lolflag:

Crunchy the Headcrab
October 27th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Yeah, I intend to use Karmic 9.10 from a fresh install. I've been using the beta and haven't had any problems. It's gonna have to wait though because I'm giving Arch another try but I'm sure after I break Arch I'll be right back here again :)

dj-toonz
October 27th, 2009, 09:58 PM
I've had to say no, I would like to :) but in till the Mobile broadband bug is fixed, I'll be sticking with Jaunty on the laptop for the time being

hellion0
October 27th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I'll probably upgrade my laptops about a month or so after the final's been released. My desktop's waiting for the next LTS.

vrkalak
October 28th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I have been updating/upgrading my Ubuntu since 9.10 Alpha 2 . . . I have been doing the Daily Builds ever since. So, I pretty much, already have Karmic installed.

But, I will be doing a fresh install of Xubuntu 9.10

H2SO_four
October 28th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Been running the RC, seems fine so i'll go ahead and do a clean install and give the ext4 a shot. I'm excited over grub2 :)

x3roconf
October 28th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Of course I will upgrade (by making a clean install) :)

tellapu
October 30th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Probably I will do a full clean install to get the advantages of ext4 and grub2, again alternate with encrypted LVM. Unless it would be worth to wait to 10.04 LTS and have a clean install then, as there might be even more advantages for a full clean install then. #-o

KoffeeKup
October 30th, 2009, 02:24 AM
Yep, I will be going to 9.10. First Ubuntu upgrade so its time to pack down the knowledge.