PDA

View Full Version : Help With my next language

ShapeShiftme
October 27th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Good day all. Ive been reading some posts about he best first language bla bla etc etc.

All of those boil down to the is no best language so i thought someone might be able to give me some information for ME.

Currently i have the ability to program in Coldfusion, PHP, very little ASP (can make my way round) , Visual Basic

And also make databse knowledge of mysql, mssql, access etc.

So im not a complete noob but this is my problem or rather what i need to do and hoping someone can give me some information for me to make the best dessision for me.

The senario:
I write custom applications for clients Currently Windows users. Which all works well my clients are happy. But i want to broaden my experience a little bit. I would now like to start writing applications that are OS independent. Dont really care about MAC.

The apps i would like to right should work on Windows AND Linux. Mac would be nice. But really importan -And no im not ignoring MAC. But only 1 off my 200+ clients use mac.

So for me what would the BEST language be.
To basically do what visual basic can.
Perhaps direct hardware access would be nice Perhaps some day ill learn howto write drivers etc.

AS an example if i wanted to rewrite quantra. or open office etc. What would be a recommended application. A nice GUI app for my clients.

On a side note If someone had the time. I know time is preciuos to everyone. Would someone be able to give me a link to the explanation and eaxamples of what each application can do.

EG C# does this. And a couple of exaple apps are:
VB studio etc etc.

Regards

NoaHall
October 27th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I think Mono or Java would be a good one to look into - but mainly Mono. You could make a pure online one using php and things though.

ShapeShiftme
October 27th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Ive just been playing with mono. I downloaded it.

It seems to have similar features to visual studio. like drag and drop buttons etc.
So i think i might try look into this a bit more.

It does seem that mono uses C# primarly. And im gathering one can do alot with that.

can someone give me some examples off apps written with C#

Thanks for any info.

directhex
October 27th, 2009, 02:03 PM
can someone give me some examples off apps written with C#

Tomboy
F-Spot
GNOME Do
Banshee