PDA

View Full Version : Chris Kenyon from Canonical gives BBC's Gary Parkinson a preview of Karmic

Sealbhach
October 27th, 2009, 04:25 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8326264.stm

I don't think this was broadcast on TV, I think it's just a web only video/

stinger30au
October 27th, 2009, 06:19 AM
wow...

cant get much more brief then that

Icehuck
October 27th, 2009, 07:46 AM
He gives the OS a brief run down and gives a pretty good reason as to why he doesn't like it. What happens? He gets attacked by rabid linux users. Points out that they are attacking him, and they do it anyways. I'm surprised I didn't see him called a Microsoft shill or plant.

gnomeuser
October 27th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Is the video available anywhere in a venue that doesn't require me to have broke proprietary software such as flash installed.. a Silverlight or html5 Ogg Theora version or a similar download e.g. would be perfect.

lordyosch
October 27th, 2009, 09:14 AM
the article has made it into the most watched list this morning.

Quote "you should never have to enter code into Ubuntu" -really?

I'm pleased that Ubuntu is getting some mainstream exposure but also pleased we're not seeing 'Ubuntu launch party' style marketing!!

wilee-nilee
October 27th, 2009, 09:23 AM
The BBC correspondent seemed to not be aware of the larger variety of programs offered by open source. Personally I don't know a line of code and this has never been a problem. It seemed as if he had tried to use Ubuntu with proprietary software held by Apple like Itunes. Heck I use several open source programs on the Xp that came on my net-book like vlc and ccleaner. Xp runs so slow compared to the linux even with 2 GiB of ram and the Atom chip.

getaboat
October 27th, 2009, 09:25 AM
I normally stick with LTS only but 9.10 looks really good from that very brief overview - I'll be upgrading the two house desktops.

Onesimus
October 27th, 2009, 10:31 AM
It appears that the BBC seems to giving Ubuntu quite a bit of coverage.

see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8326264.stm

bryncoles
October 27th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I didn't watch the video (I'm with gnomeuser's dislike of flash...), The article itself is quite positive of Ubuntu. And this time, we weren't on a stupid blog page which only the converted will read! We're on the BBC news most read!

3rdalbum
October 27th, 2009, 11:24 AM
It's not code, it's an interface for running programs.

He's obviously never called an ISP for technical support - the first thing they get you to do is run "ping" and "ipconfig" in an MS-DOS prompt.

Swagman
October 27th, 2009, 11:28 AM
No.. He's a journalist putting forward questions he thinks are relevant to the discussion.

He has already stated he has been using Ubuntu for over a year so he would definitely know what the Shell is.

hoppipolla
October 27th, 2009, 11:56 AM
"We're nearing a tipping point," said Mr Kenyon.

If we keep going at this pace, I think he's right :)

howefield
October 27th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Is the video available anywhere in a venue that doesn't require me to have broke proprietary software such as flash installed.. a Silverlight or html5 Ogg Theora version or a similar download e.g. would be perfect.

.avi Format 6.43(ish) megabytes.
https://www.yousendit.com/download/Z01QTmZUays4Q1JFQlE9PQ

.ogg Format 10.5(ish) megabytes.
https://www.yousendit.com/download/Z01QTmZkNEhQb0pFQlE9PQ

Quality in conversion suffers slightly but more than good enough to get the idea.

Paqman
October 27th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Wow, a major news source like the BBC doing a piece on a 6-monhtly release from a Linux distro is big news. Let's hope Canonical/Ubuntu can keep up this momentum. Coverage from a source like the BBC goes a long way towards creating mindshare.

stinger30au
October 27th, 2009, 12:15 PM
even if it is only *EXTREMELY* brief

any news is good news i guess

marchwarden
October 27th, 2009, 12:39 PM
It's good to see that Ubuntu is getting more coverage from the BBC.

However, I don't agree with calling Chris an evangelist, Ubuntu is software following a particular philosophy, it's not a religion. Some people take that metaphor to mean "wacky religious nutter" which adds another negative dimension to the misconception that Ubuntu, or Linux in general, is just for geeks.

Secondly, I believe that this sentence is wrong:

Ubuntu is based on Linux - the open source operating system that is maintained, expanded and extended by legions of fans and professional programmers around the world

Professional programmers should really come first, otherwise this sentence makes Linux look amateurish. The reality of it is that Linux development is not longer a bedroom hobby, it is big business and big businesses are, in my opinion, the main thrust behind Linux development today.

Tibuda
October 27th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Professional programmers should really come first, otherwise this sentence makes Linux look amateurish. The reality of it is that Linux development is not longer a bedroom hobby, it is big business and big businesses are, in my opinion, the main thrust behind Linux development today.

Indeed.
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/publications/images/table4-companies.gif (http://www.linuxfoundation.org/publications/linuxkerneldevelopment.php)

jaxxstorm
October 27th, 2009, 12:49 PM
He gives the OS a brief run down and gives a pretty good reason as to why he doesn't like it. What happens? He gets attacked by rabid linux users. Points out that they are attacking him, and they do it anyways. I'm surprised I didn't see him called a Microsoft shill or plant.

Exactly. The BBC representative the other day did a review and gave his honest and fair opinion of the operating system and found it wanting. Instead of the community saying "actually, he's right!" he's been attacked. Its not acceptable and doesn't really embody the spirit I thought the Linux community has.
This article is actually more positive, albeit brief.

This kind of open source "snobbishness" is exactly the problem. Flash isn't "broken" it works well enough for the BBC, one of the largest and most visited web sites in the UK.

howefield
October 27th, 2009, 12:52 PM
However, I don't agree with calling Chris an evangelist, Ubuntu is software following a particular philosophy, it's not a religion. Some people take that metaphor to mean "wacky religious nutter" which adds another negative dimension to the misconception that Ubuntu, or Linux in general, is just for geeks.

You are twisting his word(s) to suit your rather narrow definition.

An evangelist can be described as "a person marked by evangelical enthusiasm for or support of any cause".

(evangelical can be defined as "marked by ardent or zealous enthusiasm for a cause).

Not a hint of religion anywhere.

anarchoal
October 27th, 2009, 01:29 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8326264.stm

Nice to see Karmic getting some mainstream coverage.

Not to be rude, but I do wonder if Chris Kenyon was given media training for this interview. In particular, I was left with the impression that "free open source software" just means "free as in beer"... surely we can find a way to market freedom?

jeffus_il
October 27th, 2009, 01:38 PM
An encouraging article...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8326264.stm

ukripper
October 27th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I don't want ubuntu to take over Windows, but it is inevitable...

IBM made Bill in 80s and now it is turn for Ubuntu - http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ibm-cloud-based-desktop-software-lotus-openclient

pwnst*r
October 27th, 2009, 02:13 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1302299

manoriax
October 27th, 2009, 02:20 PM
An encouraging article...

I really like the article. :)

Johnsie
October 27th, 2009, 02:34 PM
I think the Ubuntu rep did a great job simplifying Ubuntu for average users. I'm the programmer at a company of around 30 people and deal with most of the technical stuff too. In reality most people do not have the IT skills that most linux users here have, and yes they do need things explained in VERY simple terms.

The BBC guy was right to use the word 'code' when talking about terminal commands. To most computer users that is a form of code. Maybe not to you technies, but non-techies don't think like techies...

The problem is most Linux users can't see things the way normal people do.

anarchoal
October 27th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I'm concerned that the concept of free software was not explained at all. Instead, the viewer is left with the impression that it means free-as-in-beer.

Simian Man
October 27th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I'm concerned that the concept of free software was not explained at all. Instead, the viewer is left with the impression that it means free-as-in-beer.

Who cares? Most users wouldn't give a rat's *** if they can change the source code. Being able to download Firefox for free and the fact that it is a quality program is infinitely more important to its success than the fact that it's open source.

yey
October 27th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Yay, that's cool.

RiceMonster
October 27th, 2009, 03:39 PM
surely we can find a way to market freedom?

People don't care about "freedom". Meaning, they don't care if they have access to the source code.

madhi19
October 27th, 2009, 03:55 PM
It's not code, it's an interface for running programs.

He's obviously never called an ISP for technical support - the first thing they get you to do is run "ping" and "ipconfig" in an MS-DOS prompt.

lolll I remember the few time I called them it always one of the few things they want you to do before they admit that it not you it them. A word of advice to all Linux users don't tell the tech support guy from India that your using Linux or he jump on it and say it your fault if your connection down!

I did the mistake of telling them I was running Ubuntu once and I had to argue for ten minutes that I have other devices connected to the same router and all of them can't access the net. Followed by "Did you try rebouting the router?" At this point you want to yell at the guy from Bombay that if it was the damn router or the damn modem you never waste your time calling support in the first place!

marchwarden
October 27th, 2009, 04:13 PM
You are twisting his word(s) to suit your rather narrow definition.

An evangelist can be described as "a person marked by evangelical enthusiasm for or support of any cause".

(evangelical can be defined as "marked by ardent or zealous enthusiasm for a cause).

Not a hint of religion anywhere.

I disagree with you there, the definition is not my narrow definition, it's the definition found in many English dictionaries such as The Cambridge Dictionary (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=26532&dict=CALD) and Chambers Dictionary (http://www.chambersharrap.co.uk/chambers/features/chref/chref.py/main?query=evangelist&title=21st). It is my opinion that laymen would apply the definition as I have. Yes, people have used the term to describe something wider but is it my fault for disregarding that in favour of the generally published definition?

I do not find it at all appropriate for you to accuse me of twisting a meaning when I am interpreting a word in line with how it is printed in common English dictionaries.

marchwarden
October 27th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Who cares? Most users wouldn't give a rat's *** if they can change the source code. Being able to download Firefox for free and the fact that it is a quality program is infinitely more important to its success than the fact that it's open source.

I agree, the average user wants a tool that works well, they don't care much for how it does it.

betrunkenaffe
October 27th, 2009, 04:48 PM
This kind of open source "snobbishness" is exactly the problem. Flash isn't "broken" it works well enough for the BBC, one of the largest and most visited web sites in the UK.

LOL, I have flash 64 bit alpha installed, never have had a problem before. I can't watch that video. Is it me or is it them :)

I think the comment about broken flash is more regarding the fact that adobe still hasn't gotten all the bugs out of the flashplayer plugin for Linux.

Iehova
October 27th, 2009, 05:20 PM
LOL, I have flash 64 bit alpha installed, never have had a problem before. I can't watch that video. Is it me or is it them :)

I think the comment about broken flash is more regarding the fact that adobe still hasn't gotten all the bugs out of the flashplayer plugin for Linux.

Well the 64 bit plugin is still in alpha stage so bugs are to be expected; the video works fine with the 32 bit plugin and nspluginwrapper. This is interesting though because I've been thinking about installing the 64 bit plugin - do other BBC videos work for you?

EDIT: OK, you mentioned it was alpha. My bad.

jeyaganesh
October 27th, 2009, 05:28 PM
BBC is a MS fanboy. Atleast they are opportunistic with the 90% OS.:D

Sealbhach
October 27th, 2009, 05:42 PM
It's on the front page of the BBC news website now. Millions of people will see it. This is good.

BuffaloX
October 27th, 2009, 06:03 PM
There has been some dising of the BBC reporting on Ubuntu and Linux,
But this is better. ;)

ViperChief
October 27th, 2009, 06:33 PM
BBC is a MS fanboy. Atleast they are opportunistic with the 90% OS.:D

I hope your being sarcastic. But, because I've seen this kind of sentiment before, I'm still going to reply to it.

How is BBC a fanboy of Microsoft?

The Real Dave
October 27th, 2009, 07:23 PM

The only reason I've even needed to use terminal in 9.04 is due to my own tinkering. For the average user, with average hardware, everything can be done through a GUI, or just works. A big plus for Linux if you look back to the old days of Linux

Sealbhach
October 27th, 2009, 11:12 PM

If you buy a machine with Ubuntu pre-installed, that should be case.

hoppipolla
October 27th, 2009, 11:27 PM
I've been Diggin' it and tweetin' it and Facebook mentioning it and... heh :)

I have a few online avenues here and there and I've been promoting Karmic through all of them! ^_^

betrunkenaffe
October 27th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Well the 64 bit plugin is still in alpha stage so bugs are to be expected; the video works fine with the 32 bit plugin and nspluginwrapper. This is interesting though because I've been thinking about installing the 64 bit plugin - do other BBC videos work for you?

EDIT: OK, you mentioned it was alpha. My bad.

Other flash videos work fine, it's really weird, I haven't tried other BBC videos, I don't really go to their site much.

Yeah, I recognize it's alpha so there will be glitches, I live with them. I was really just saying that slagging flash on linux doesn't mean someone is being a snob... it's the same as complaining that websites don't render correctly in X browser...

Groucho Marxist
October 28th, 2009, 12:08 AM
even if it is only *EXTREMELY* brief

any news is good news i guess

It's the nature of the medium; three solid minutes covering a sole topic in this day and age is quite remarkable.

matthewbpt
October 28th, 2009, 12:29 AM

Download the program 'get_iplayer' and then you can download the video directly to your hard drive with the command

get_iplayer -g --url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8326264.stm

pwnst*r
October 28th, 2009, 12:36 AM
It's the nature of the medium; three solid minutes covering a sole topic in this day and age is quite remarkable.

not only that, most people won't bother with something longer.

Sealbhach
October 28th, 2009, 09:47 AM
It was the 3rd most watched video on the BBC news site yesterday:

http://imgur.com/3t40k.png

ElSlunko
October 28th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Yeah. I'd watch the snake man video over the ubuntu one too.

scottuss
October 28th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I'm not exactly sure it was given a fair shot on the video, but not because of the interviewer. I feel the interviewee could have responded to the "You can't use iTunes" question better by explaining that other online music stores that run in the web browser work without problem, and that actually, running iTunes IS possible (as is a lot of Windows software, which was another question) by using Wine.

I appreciate he was limited for time etc, and he was perhaps put on the spot, but it could have been slightly better.

Ah well, it's happened now.