PDA

View Full Version : Everyone please stop using the repos for a minute...

days_of_ruin
October 27th, 2009, 02:40 AM
So I can finish installing some updates :D Seriously, the repos are very sluggish today. I wish more people would torrent the RC.

Crunchy the Headcrab
October 27th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Haven't noticed a problem.

sliketymo
October 27th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Me either.
:popcorn:

days_of_ruin
October 27th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Haven't noticed a problem.

Yeah, I guess it is launchpad ppa servers that are being slow.

stinger30au
October 27th, 2009, 02:55 AM
what ever happened to a bit of patience???

toupeiro
October 27th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Rather than blankly creating a post in a forum to ask everyone to stop what they are doing so you can update, there are hundreds of mirrors you could use. I never use the main servers, and I always get excellent throughput. in fact, I just did a string of updates, several MB in size, in well under a minute.

FuturePilot
October 27th, 2009, 03:00 AM
My only problem with mirrors is that they can be up to a week (sometimes more) behind the main repo.

toupeiro
October 27th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Its pretty easy to determine which are behind. Some are not behind at all. Pick a main repository, run update manager, it tells you how many packages are available. Now, pick a mirror, run update manager, see if that number is the same. Once you find one that is and is fast, stick with it. 5-10 minutes of this procedure one time has saved me that much time by 100 fold easy. On one of my systems I use the easynews repositories. Those are about 3 days behind but they are the the fastest mirrors I've ever connected to. I'm using a different one on my main system. Not as fast as easynews but it appears to be same-day and I bet anywhere from 1.2Mbit to 2.7Mbit/sec

bruno9779
October 27th, 2009, 03:07 AM
I had slow downloads today as well. And I use the local repo (Portugal).

toupeiro
October 27th, 2009, 03:09 AM
I had slow downloads today as well. And I use the local repo (Portugal).

no pic

FuturePilot
October 27th, 2009, 03:10 AM
LOL :lolflag:

earthpigg
October 27th, 2009, 03:54 AM
ive always had great luck with the mirrors.kernel.org (or something like that) ubuntu mirror here in the states. even around X.04 and X.10 release weeks.

when overseas, i've had similar good luck with similar super generic sounding servers with unix and FOSS-ey stuff in the server names. and bad luck with university/educational institution looking servers.

note that i said good 'luck' and 'me'... what is lucky for me may not be lucky for anyone else!

bruno9779
October 27th, 2009, 03:18 PM
no pic

what pic was there?

toupeiro
October 28th, 2009, 08:33 AM
what pic was there?

Last edited by cariboo907; 1 Day Ago at 12:02 AM.. Reason: Remove copyrighted material

PLEASE!!!! icanhazcheezburger.com FREELY offers href URL's for people to link images from their site and the image was unmodified. Mods here have gotten way out of control!

earthpigg
October 28th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Mods here have gotten way out of control!

when in doubt, they do indeed prefer to error on the side of censorship.

given the rather prominent position of this forum, it is to be expected.

remember, the primary reason these forums exist is for tech support and not other discussion.

if non-tech-support discussion goes to crap to preserve the perceived professionalism of the tech support discussion, that is an acceptable cost.

running_rabbit07
October 28th, 2009, 02:56 PM
So I can finish installing some updates :D Seriously, the repos are very sluggish today. I wish more people would torrent the RC.

Using Debian, I am not having that problem. I connect at my ISP's full throughput. Of course when I bot my Ubuntu machine, there is a difference, but I am purposefully letting Ubuntu take a break while everyone upgrades.

If you are upgrading, I recommend downloading the alternate install ISO, then burn it and stick it in and it will save much time of downloading. That's what I did on my Karmic machine and it went much faster.

Rather than blankly creating a post in a forum to ask everyone to stop what they are doing so you can update, there are hundreds of mirrors you could use. I never use the main servers, and I always get excellent throughput. in fact, I just did a string of updates, several MB in size, in well under a minute.

You could be more helpful and offer advice on how to set that up. Not everyone has your knowledge.

bodhi.zazen
October 28th, 2009, 04:19 PM
PLEASE!!!! icanhazcheezburger.com FREELY offers href URL's for people to link images from their site and the image was unmodified. Mods here have gotten way out of control!

No, they do NOT. Please read the terms of service.

http://icanhascheezburger.com/terms-of-use/

Specifically #5.

They give you permission to use the image in a personal blog, and not the Ubuntu forums.