PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Wine Users: Favorite Visual Style?

murderslastcrow
October 27th, 2009, 02:37 AM
There are many, many good Visual Styles for Wine, but I was just wondering which ones you guys love, or usually default to? I want to find some to go well with my themes, and I'm aware that there are some artists who make Visual Styles out of their GTK themes and vice versa.

It would actually be great to find a Visual Style that goes well with the Dust GTK Theme, if any of you have seen it. :3 I'm more just looking for something to refresh that disgusting Windows 95 look (I'm aware that Visual Styles can consume a bit of RAM at times).

Hopefully someday GTK & QT integration become more of a priority with the project.

toupeiro
October 27th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Maybe I am missing it completely.. Are you referring to window borders of windows applications run through wine? They just use whatever gnome is using. I mean, you can color match the window foreground and backgrounds in the appearance in the desktop integration section.. is that what you are talking about?

Don't expect some sort of auto-conversion of windows GDI or other gui resources to be auto-converted to GTK or QT. If you are really that passionate about everything looking EXACTLY perfect, thats why they give you the ability to set your own colors. Wine continuing to function well is way more important to me than making a windows app look exactly like a native linux app.

murderslastcrow
October 27th, 2009, 09:05 PM
No, no, no. That's not what I'm referring to. If any previous Windows users have tried to change the theme of their setup, the most common way is through "Visual Styles," which are supported by Wine in Wine Config. This allows you to apply Visual Styles that look similar to your Gnome/KDE theme in order to make things look more integrated. It actually has worked quite well for me in the past.

On deviantART, there is one user in particular who releases GTK themes as well as Visual Styles of the same themes so you can have the impression that Wine is using your GTK theme (it's quite nice actually).

Here's a link to his page for everyone's reference. http://lassekongo83.deviantart.com/

Tibuda
October 27th, 2009, 09:07 PM
I have never changed it, but I would if I can find a Shiki-colors visual style (I would use it on Windows too).

j.bell730
October 27th, 2009, 09:24 PM
It's not seamless, but I use the Royale theme...much better than that Windows 95 look imo.

Starlight
October 27th, 2009, 10:46 PM
It's not seamless, but I use the Royale theme...much better than that Windows 95 look imo.

It looks great, but the buttons look kind of out of place o_O

murderslastcrow
October 27th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Oh, that's a lil' bug where the buttons go square after clicking them in some dialogs. So usually it isn't an issue. I actually found an alright theme to go along with Dust, and this is a theme that's similar to Shiki-Colors.

http://vicing.deviantart.com/art/ShikiWay-137313590

It's not exact, but maybe it's close enough to be usable?