PDA

View Full Version : is this site legit?

mamamia88
October 27th, 2009, 01:51 AM
http://windows7.digitalriver.com/store/mswpus/en_US/DisplayHomePage?resid=NlxHqwoBAkcAABBrmSwAAAAB&rests=1256604410670

Skripka
October 27th, 2009, 01:53 AM
http://windows7.digitalriver.com/store/mswpus/en_US/DisplayHomePage?resid=NlxHqwoBAkcAABBrmSwAAAAB&rests=1256604410670

Yep that is where you buy the student UPGRADE Win7 from. Emphasis UPGRADE. The reg code you get WILL NOT unlock a "custom install" (i.e. on a blank partition or WinXP).

If you're doing a custom install, you'll best go to NewEgg and get an OEM DVD/code.

abyrne
October 27th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Check this story.
http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/09/18/windows_7_for_students/print.html

And check some google results
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows7.digitalriver.com

mamamia88
October 27th, 2009, 01:55 AM
cool thanks does that mean i would have to reinstall vista first?

Skripka
October 27th, 2009, 01:56 AM

Yep.

It also means, that the "upgrade" process, will take probably 3-5 hours on a reasonabley powerful machine...whereas a tabula rasa install takes about 20 minutes.

Skripka
October 27th, 2009, 01:58 AM

Also be WARNED. You do NOT download a disc ISO. You download a compressed archive-with a broken unarchiver, and it is QUITE likely (unless they fixed it), that you will need to do some CMD typing to get it to become a ISO.

mamamia88
October 27th, 2009, 02:02 AM
i'm not even getting an email must be a blocked address by my school maybe ill just wait for it to show up at my college bookstore.

mamamia88
October 27th, 2009, 02:05 AM
ok i got the email now is there any way to skip the vista install?

forrestcupp
October 27th, 2009, 02:05 AM

Yeah, and it also means that if you have 32-bit Vista, the 64-bit upgrade will not work at all unless you jump through hoops to convert the files into an iso and burn it as a bootable DVD.

mamamia88
October 27th, 2009, 02:08 AM
vista shipped with my computer. it does come with an amd 64 processor does that mean they would have loaded 64 bit vista on it? or since it only has 2gb ram that they would have loaded 32 bit on it?

sliketymo
October 27th, 2009, 02:14 AM
vista shipped with my computer. it does come with an amd 64 processor does that mean they would have loaded 64 bit vista on it? or since it only has 2gb ram that they would have loaded 32 bit on it?

:popcorn: 32

mamamia88
October 27th, 2009, 02:19 AM
ok thanks everyone now i have to install vista just to download the iso?

stinger30au
October 27th, 2009, 03:00 AM

yep

Skripka
October 27th, 2009, 03:02 AM

As I said it isn't an ISO you download....

mamamia88
October 27th, 2009, 03:08 AM
ok thanks reinstalled vista now i'm downloading what they want me too and i think i just run the files it downloads and installs windows 7 wish me luck

Skripka
October 27th, 2009, 03:10 AM
wish me luck

You'll need it.

The exe should be an extractor...and it didn't work here. I had to use CMD to make the disc ISO.

mamamia88
October 27th, 2009, 03:12 AM
You'll need it.

The exe should be an extractor...and it didn't work here. I had to use CMD to make the disc ISO.

youll have to let me know how you did that if it doesn't work

forrestcupp
October 27th, 2009, 03:40 PM
ok thanks reinstalled vista now i'm downloading what they want me too and i think i just run the files it downloads and installs windows 7 wish me luck

No. Like I said, if you have 32-bit Vista (which you probably do even if you have a 64-bit proc), it won't be able to install the 64-bit upgrade.

I fear you've spent your money only to have headaches. But it is possible. Just Google around. It's possible to convert the files to an iso and burn it as a bootable DVD. It's a lot of work, but it's possible. You won't be able to do an upgrade; it will have to be a clean install.

Skripka
October 27th, 2009, 03:59 PM
You won't be able to do an upgrade; it will have to be a clean install.

In which case, your student license code he paid $30 for, will NOT work.

forrestcupp
October 27th, 2009, 04:02 PM
In which case, your student license code he paid $30 for, will NOT work.

People have been doing it. You can do a clean install with upgrade media. You just have to prove that you own a version that can be upgraded from.

pricetech
October 27th, 2009, 05:17 PM
If it works the way previous upgrades did it will prompt him to insert the disk for the product he is upgrading from as proof he is eligible for the upgrade.

Sad part is he only got home,

Skripka
October 27th, 2009, 05:53 PM
If it works the way previous upgrades did it will prompt him to insert the disk for the product he is upgrading from as proof he is eligible for the upgrade.

Sad part is he only got home,

Didn't work that way here.

The installer here only said "invalid product key, please retype". After installing, and getting into the full Windows environment after 1st normal boot (just leaving the key space blank), you get the ACTUAL error problem "this key is only valid for upgrades, not full installs".

Firestem4
October 27th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Just an FYI the crack used in WIn Vista to upgrade and get a full install DOES work in Windows 7, you just have to edit a reg key. Google will lead you to the right place. =)

pricetech
October 27th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Didn't work that way here.

The installer here only said "invalid product key, please retype". After installing, and getting into the full Windows environment after 1st normal boot (just leaving the key space blank), you get the ACTUAL error problem "this key is only valid for upgrades, not full installs".

Nice. I'm not surprised though.

Cam42
October 27th, 2009, 11:37 PM
http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/10/22/how-to-make-a-dvd-of-that-student-only-windows-7/
read that
then this
http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/10/23/save-80-on-your-windows-7-purchase-the-upgrade-does-full-inst/