PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Moving HDD to new machine????

appzattak
October 26th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Hey all, I have a Toshiba laptop with 9.04 installed and running great. I also have a Dell Vostro. What would happen if I took the drive from my Toshiba and slapped it in the Dell? Would it just work or not? I know in windows this is never a good idea, but was not too sure with Linux.

--Steve

stlsaint
October 27th, 2009, 12:17 AM
i have never tried that so i cant give an expert opinion but i would think that it wouldnt work. Though yes ubuntu does have auto hardware detection it is still detecting your system specs. That hdd has your toshibas conf's for sound, network card, graphics etc etc. You take those files and put them with unknown hardware that isnt matching i would think that it would fail. But like i said i have never tried it and ubuntu never ceases to amaze me! :)

tubasoldier
October 27th, 2009, 12:18 AM
It should work. It works most of the time.
However you may run into a few issues which you may need to correct but it should boot.

stlsaint
October 27th, 2009, 12:24 AM
It should work. It works most of the time.
However you may run into a few issues which you may need to correct but it should boot.

nice to know! as i said above i have never done it so i couldnt give a factual reply! :)