PDA

View Full Version : Linux Format keeps the Ubuntu coming...

DoubleDangerClub
January 28th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Does anyone else get Linux Format? (a UK magazine)
I got it this month and the distro of the month that came on the dvd with it was non other than: Ubuntu!

I find their magazine good, though it's so obvious they love their eye candy, hence their new article rating all the current distros against each other, it made no sense...Mandrake first, Debian fourth, to which I was wondering...how did Ubuntu not make it above Debian (which is currently out of date)??

"The world no longer makes sense to me." lol.

DDC

deception
January 28th, 2005, 07:58 PM
I get it most months, the latest one I have is the one with Slax, Knoppix 3.7, and Sun Java Desktop on :???:

myklgrant
January 30th, 2005, 03:47 AM
Yeah I read the distro comparison. Ubutuntu 9th. 9th!!!???
I wonder how Mandrake and Suse would have faired if LinuxFormat tried using Gnome on them, they (LinuxFormat) seem especially KDE-centric. Their comment abut Ubuntu being "Debian without the ugly icon" was meaningless to say the least.
It matters not. I (we?) know Ubuntu is the best distro. Eventually everyone else will just have to catch up ;-)

Michael

Marquis_de_Carabas
January 30th, 2005, 05:50 AM
Yeah, I've bought every issue of Linux Format for a while now. I had to wonder why, when their comments basically said that Ubuntu was like Debian only better, Ubuntu was ranked below Debian. The only reason I can think of is that they're marking it down on 'originality' as it is Debian-based.

The important thing though is that they stuck it on the cover disc so people can try it out for themselves. (Mind you, the installer didn't seem to work when I tried it. It didn't matter to me as I got a CD through ShipIt anyway, but I'm hoping the Agnula one is better as I'm planning on installing that tomorrow...)

DoubleDangerClub
January 30th, 2005, 09:00 AM
The main thing that bugs me about it is that they're so bent on KDE and eye-candy that if you look at the music player on the sleeve of the second CD, it even has the Apple logo in the top left corner...a theme of course, though much too sugar coated for my taste.

The main point of that is that it seems as though all distros get a subpar rating unless they're wonderfully KDE eye-candy-tastic. It kind of sucks.