PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 9.10 RC

razorboy5
October 26th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Hi

I have practically no significant knowledge of OS and only became interested in it since i started using Ubuntu which is only a few months ago

what purpose does the release candidate serve?

also if i install Ubuntu 9.10 RC right now will it update itself to the final release when it does become available on the 29th?

Simian Man
October 26th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I have practically no significant knowledge of OS and only became interested in it since i started using Ubuntu which is only a few months ago

what purpose does the release candidate serve?
Release Candidate usually means that the software could be released right now because it has no known "show stopper" bugs in it - as opposed to alphas and betas which may have serious bugs. The only difference between a release candidate and a release is usually just a little testing.

also if i install Ubuntu 9.10 RC right now will it update itself to the final release when it does become available on the 29th?

Yes it will.

razorboy5
October 26th, 2009, 10:02 PM
thx alot for the info Simian Man

think i'll get on the RC tonite then :P

razorboy5
October 27th, 2009, 07:19 AM
well installed RC but unable to install any drivers or any software

is this normal? and would i be right in assuming that i will be able to do so on the 29th?

RichardLinx
October 27th, 2009, 07:28 AM

is this normal? and would i be right in assuming that i will be able to do so on the 29th?

It's an RC which is technically still a beta release, but it's dangerous (At most, it would be annoying to find out it doesn't work on the 29th) to assume these sort of things. If I were you I would make a bug report, just in case.

It's better to send one in late then never. If it's a big issue then this close to release it might not be fixed any time soon. Then again, they could be working on a fix right now.

samjh
October 27th, 2009, 07:41 AM

Firstly, a release candidate is meant for early-adopters to test the product and report any failings just prior to release. It's a "last chance" for developers to fix any yet-unknown problems.

So in that spirit, you should report the bug. When you report it, make sure to include what drivers are you trying to install, and exactly what steps you had taken to try to install it, and why you don't seem to be able to install them. Include any error messages or other symptoms you see.

Good luck to you, and thank you for your contribution. :)

phrostbyte
October 27th, 2009, 07:48 AM
The reason you can't download anything is because the servers are slammed, try changing to a local mirror in Software Sources.

This always happens around release time, always. And there there is talk about how they are gonna use apt-torrent next release or whatever and it never happens. :)