PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] (9.10 Support,Desk Tops, and a Partition Question:

wbee
October 26th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Hello,

This time,I won't dual boot with Windows XP but do a pure Unbuntu installation.

--Is the Unbuntu that is released in October the one that is supported for the longer period than the one released in April or is it the other way around?

--When I did a dual boot with XP,while I was using an editor to move stuff around,I put in a Linux swap. I don't use the hybernate function. Is there any real advantage of having a Linux swap? I don't edit motion pictures and have a gig of memory.

--Am I correct that once I have the Ubuntu installed,that I can use the package manager to put in "kubunu" and have the option of selecting either desk top when I boot up?

---------

Thank you.

freecru
October 26th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Hello,

This time,I won't dual boot with Windows XP but do a pure Unbuntu installation.

--Is the Unbuntu that is released in October the one that is supported for the longer period than the one released in April or is it the other way around?

Neither of these (9.04 & 9.10) are LTS (Long Term Support) releases. For this you'll have to go back to 8.04. This isn't necessary though. All releases get support in these forums. If you'd like to be extra safe, most of the bugs/issues in 9.04 have been fixed and should be just fine for every day use. I've been using 9.10 betas and now RC on my home machine without many issues. Just depends on how adventurous/how much tweaking you'd like to do with your machine.

--When I did a dual boot with XP,while I was using an editor to move stuff around,I put in a Linux swap. I don't use the hybernate function. Is there any real advantage of having a Linux swap? I don't edit motion pictures and have a gig of memory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paging#Linux While linux can support page files these are not currently used in Ubuntu releases. Though I read this will be different in 10.04. For now, keep the swap partition and use it when you install fresh.

--Am I correct that once I have the Ubuntu installed,that I can use the package manager to put in "kubunu" and have the option of selecting either desk top when I boot up?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=466118 Yup. You can do that. It's just a log in/log out thing. Different window managers can be used at your will.