PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Microsoft loses another one

Oliphant
October 26th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Just figured I'd share this little story with you. For the past few months I've been messing around with Ubuntu on my desktop which is a dual boot with XP.

My laptop had Vista and I just got the student discount to upgrade to Windows 7. SO, after downloading the upgrade it wouldn't go through (big suprise). I rooted through some forums, found a way around the problem and successfully installed Windows 7. Well, somewhere along the lines the whole system was corrupt and I attempted to reinstall windows 7 by the disk I created.

Once it got to the product key entry it told me the key was invalid which is wrong. Contacted Microsoft, told them my story and was told they cannot supply me with a disk or a new key for the software. More or less I got the high hard one from them. SO, I'm at the tail-end now if getting Ubuntu up and running on my laptop.

I'd like to say Thanks to Microsoft for letting me FULLY see the light on how absolutely useless you really are!

linux4life88
October 26th, 2009, 09:16 PM
I'm sorry to hear how Microsoft treated you. Although, I'm glad to hear that you are now using Ubuntu. The good news here is that a new version comes out every 6 months, it is open source and no more product key codes to deal with ever again.

manoriax
October 26th, 2009, 11:15 PM
And no service hotline that does not take your problems seriously.

MadnessRed
October 26th, 2009, 11:23 PM
:/ I was thinking of buying the student version. Not sure if I will now hearing that.

Good luck with getting Ubuntu working. Sometimes it can be a bit confusing to start with, but if you stick with it, and just post any problems that you may have on the forums, you will find its actually pretty simple.

ps, I think this should be in the testimonials section, don't worry about it though, the modes will move it if needed.

ST3ALTHPSYCH0
October 27th, 2009, 02:44 AM
It saddens me that M$ doesn't take their customers seriously. The sad thing is that I'm running Win7, and love it, but I don't fault you at all for your choice.... And we all know that you have in no way chosen a lesser OS (unless we're speaking of lesser in terms of current market share). Anyway, welcome to the family.

Oliphant
October 27th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Sorry for posting in the wrong forum. I think my anger at MS just had me blinded. For the record it took them 58 minutes and several phone transfers for them to tell me I'm out of luck.

theozzlives
October 27th, 2009, 02:50 AM
7 seems pretty solid (for Windows). Not like the crap they called Vista. I'm still sticking with Ubuntu though, after all 7 is still Windows. I'm a PC, and I run Linux!

Oh, and welcome!

nacho32
October 27th, 2009, 03:00 AM
while I have a triple boot set up XP-7-Ubuntu I just dont see nothing in 7 that makes me want to use it more then XP, the windows are prettier but it just dose not do it for me, I like the simplicity of Xp and like the security of Ubuntu. The only thing that keeps me using windows is the massive 3rd party programs for it. I would;d like to see Ubuntu be more user friendly for the average Joe. Personally if Microsoft would spend the time on their OS to make it better then to see if it;s pirated it would be much better, just my 2 cents

kvarley
October 27th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Glad another user has switched from Windows!

Ubuntu can do so much more and it's free!

I tried to install windows 7 just to have a sneak peek and it installed fine, then when I went to login it blue screened, so I just thought sack it and stuck with my precious Ubuntu!

wilee-nilee
October 27th, 2009, 03:10 AM
There are several variables in this story which make a little strange, so slamming MS is kind the of usual response. You made a your own copy of W7, is it possible that it is corrupted and or could the download be set up so it can't be written to a disc. These are just a couple of ideas there are other areas as well. Did you get a description from MS as to why they would not replace your download.

Capt. Blackwood
October 27th, 2009, 04:40 AM
And no service hotline that does not take your problems seriously.

The difference between MS Support and Ubuntu support.

MS has a BOT which can hardly understand you, and after 20 minutes, you get dumped on somebody who's not in the nation, who charges you if you're out of warranty by 5 seconds.

Ubuntu's got live people all over the place who are willing to help you, for free. We've got phone, chat and forum (here) support. No half witted bots here...or i need to go hunting.

Enjoy Ubuntu.

wilee-nilee
October 27th, 2009, 06:21 AM

MS has a BOT which can hardly understand you, and after 20 minutes, you get dumped on somebody who's not in the nation, who charges you if you're out of warranty by 5 seconds.

Ubuntu's got live people all over the place who are willing to help you, for free. We've got phone, chat and forum (here) support. No half witted bots here...or i need to go hunting.

Enjoy Ubuntu.

I am not a regular MS user but when I called I was never charged for help.

DrLFToxic
October 27th, 2009, 12:50 PM

Enjoy Ubuntu.

I have never had to contact M$, and never do I want to
I have had to contact ubuntu users, and i would do it again even if need doesnt be.

i have had many unresolved errors with windows,
ubuntu has only served me a couple of problems

windows i have to go searching online for software thats going to cost me money that linux has built in for free.

sudo say "I am a PC, but i run ubuntu."

gadolinio
October 27th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Win XP works fine... but I find Ubuntu much better (stability, >>pragmatic functions<<, look, etc). I don't use it because it's free, but because it's better. I think the only reason for ubuntu not being so widely used is that it lacks commercial advertisements, so the average user doesn't even know about it.
Enjoy using Ubuntu... (and maybe win xp for specific programs that you can't run with wine)

MadnessRed
October 27th, 2009, 06:44 PM
I got a laptop recently with win vista on with a free upgrade to win 7. Needless to say I am running Ubuntu in dual boot. It seems however that want to charge me £13 ($26) postage and packaging for it!!! Do you reckon its work it. I have had the Windows 7 beta then RC on my desktop and it seems ok, so is it worth upgrading?

Earl_Maroon
October 27th, 2009, 07:03 PM
If you paid for the rights to use the software it is by my understanding legal to install it by a downloaded copy. You could always torrent a pre-cracked copy (yes, they're already around and pass WGA) and try installing that.

ST3ALTHPSYCH0
October 28th, 2009, 02:09 AM
@MadnessRed (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=518390)
I'd say that win7 is way more than $26 dollars better than Vista. It'll manage your memory and CPU access (if you have a multi core processor) much better than Vista ever dared.

andrea000
October 28th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Glad to hear microsoft lost another user sorry they
treated you that way i don't think you'll be treated
like that here.Ubuntu will do so much more and it's
free,a lot better and they'll even send you a free cd
if you would like them to.

MadnessRed
October 28th, 2009, 04:36 PM
@MadnessRed (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=518390)
I'd say that win7 is way more than $26 dollars better than Vista. It'll manage your memory and CPU access (if you have a multi core processor) much better than Vista ever dared.

ok thanks

ralanyo
October 28th, 2009, 08:13 PM
I usually have to re-image my computer running XP every six months or so. Somehow with windows it gets bogged down with spyware, viruses and what ever else.

However, when I got sick of re-imaging all the time. I switched to Ubuntu and ran it for 2 years straight without re-imaging it.
i love ubuntu but unfortunately it doesn't run some of my fav programs even with wine running.

so now i have both windows and ubuntu running. good luck