PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Alternative for Powerpill

Grifulkin
October 26th, 2009, 07:39 PM
My question is powerpill is a wrapper for Pacman in Arch and it pulls the downloads from all the servers in your country. My question is there a wrapper like this for apt-get so I could download my files much faster. I have a good internet connection I might as well use it and also why wait the extra few minutes when I could download it in half the time.

Is there a program that works like powerpill and pulls downloads from more than one server in ubuntu?

SunnyRabbiera
October 26th, 2009, 08:31 PM
You could just change your download server.
But be cautious this is a busy week as 9.10 is coming out so servers will be slow.

Grifulkin
October 26th, 2009, 09:53 PM
You could just change your download server.
But be cautious this is a busy week as 9.10 is coming out so servers will be slow.

Yeah I already use the closest server to me which is 10 minutes up the road. But yeah I was just wondering if there was, I don't know how to write anything that would download in parallel from all the servers, that way it would be much faster, and would take the load off the all the servers combined.

cariboo
October 26th, 2009, 10:40 PM
apt can already download from more than one server at a time, if you're doing an update and you have a couple of ppa's in your sources list, it will download from your regular server as well as the ppa at the same time or are you thinking about something like apt-torrent (http://sianka.free.fr/)?