PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] 2.6.32 Kernel

francsal
October 26th, 2009, 07:23 PM
In one post, somebody told me that a certain problem (brightness control) was not happening on kernel 2.6.32

Tha baffled me, since Karmic is still using 2.6.31, so the question is: should I upgrade to said kernel? And why it isnīt included in the RC version of karmic?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Frank.

Saghaulor
October 26th, 2009, 08:39 PM
In one post, somebody told me that a certain problem (brightness control) was not happening on kernel 2.6.32

Tha baffled me, since Karmic is still using 2.6.31, so the question is: should I upgrade to said kernel? And why it isnīt included in the RC version of karmic?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Frank.

Ubuntu is not bleeding edge, because it's dependent on Debian, which is not bleeding edge.

I wouldn't recommend a kernel upgrade to a kernel that is not officially supported by your distro of choice, as you are unlikely to receive adequate help regarding said change.

So, if you're a lone wolf and you think you got what it takes, then by all means, otherwise, stick with what's in the repositories.

Saghaulor
October 26th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Ubuntu is not bleeding edge, because it's dependent on Debian, which is not bleeding edge.

I wouldn't recommend a kernel upgrade to a kernel that is not officially supported by your distro of choice, as you are unlikely to receive adequate help regarding said change.

So, if you're a lone wolf and you think you got what it takes, then by all means, otherwise, stick with what's in the repositories.

I think I said that incorrectly.

Ubuntu is based on Debian, but I think that it uses more current ware than Debian.

Nonetheless, neither are bleeding edge distros.

jheaton5
October 26th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Ubuntu is based on Debian unstable. Unstable (and consequently Ubuntu) has more up to date versions of packages than Debian stable.

francsal
October 26th, 2009, 10:26 PM
thanks for the comments!!

Iīm sorry for not explaining myself adequately. I asked, because I saw the kernel listed on the ubuntu site (yes it was a RC):

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

And was wondering if it would be worth a try....

What would be to worst case scenario if I install it and it doesnīt go well? (Yes, I know that from that question, the logical and immediate advise would be "stay away from it!", but I think that the best way to learn is to get your hands dirty, if you know what I mean) would fixing that installation require a whole new install? I think that in the startup menu you can choose which kernel to use, so may I safely assume that if things donīt go well, I could revert to a previous installed kernel?