PDA

View Full Version : To the fanboys

edin9
October 26th, 2009, 06:27 PM
The Linux fanboys. Why do you feel the need to attack and rant at anyone who dares to say anything negative?

speedwell68
October 26th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Because that is what fanboys do. If they didn't do that they wouldn't be fanboys.

blur xc
October 26th, 2009, 06:36 PM
For the same reasons the Windows fanboys attack and rant at anyone who has something positive to say about linux?

BM

edin9
Because that is what fanboys do. If they didn't do that they wouldn't be fanboys.

Kind of sad. I expected better from a Linux forum I guess.

Regenweald
The Linux fanboys. Why do you feel the need to attack and rant at anyone who dares to say anything negative?

All Hail! Prince of the Obvious! - Rigel from Farscape lol

To the overly sensitive internet users, do you really need to start a thread when someone is not nice to you in a forum ?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8168979&postcount=6

This displays a lack of understanding of what xorg is and how ubuntu is implementing pulseaudio.

koenn
October 26th, 2009, 06:37 PM
You did not expect some linux fanboys on a linux forum ?

John Bean
October 26th, 2009, 06:40 PM

I thought it was a straight answer to your question. Hint: you asked why *fanboys* behaved that way; it's like asking why murderers kill people - if they didn't they wouldn't be murderers, would they?

edin9
October 26th, 2009, 06:40 PM
You did not expect some linux fanboys on a linux forum ?

I guess I'm the idiot for expecting something slightly more intelligent.

speedwell68
October 26th, 2009, 06:41 PM

What other answer did you expect? If fanboys didn't attack people that have a differing opinion to themselves, then they would fail to be fanboys, they would be normal, well balanced forum users. Perhaps that is why they do it, they aren't particularly well balanced people and have to force their opinions on others, kind of like Hitler or Stalin.

PS. Yes I know what Godwins Law says.:D

RiceMonster
October 26th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Fanboys are part of the Linux experience, unfortunately.

HomoGleek
The same reason MS, Mac, Nintendo, Sony etc etc Fanboys do it, one that is unclear too me :D

edin9

I don't :P

PatrickBoyle
October 26th, 2009, 06:47 PM

I think he's referring to an assumption that Linux users as a group are more enlightened computer users, and more subjective about choice of OSes and software.

BUT fanboys will be fanboys, and they're everywhere. I tend to notice that fanboyishness (just made that up) and trolling don't occur as much in Linux forums as other "niche interest" forums, but you have to expect some.

Tristam Green
October 26th, 2009, 06:48 PM
What other answer did you expect? If fanboys didn't attack people that have a differing opinion to themselves, then they would fail to be fanboys, they would be normal, well balanced forum users. Perhaps that is why they do it, they aren't particularly well balanced people and have to force their opinions on others, kind of like Hitler or Stalin.

haha :D

You should. Most trolls do.

Fanboys are endemic to any segment of a "geek" realm.

Your average fanboy is harmless enough. It's when you get an overzealous one that's downed one too many BAWLS that it becomes a problem.

BslBryan
October 26th, 2009, 06:53 PM

Godwin's law is that, as a forum discussion grows larger, a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler is a certain occurrence.

edin9
October 26th, 2009, 06:53 PM
haha :D

You should. Most trolls do.

Fanboys are endemic to any segment of a "geek" realm.

Your average fanboy is harmless enough. It's when you get an overzealous one that's downed one too many BAWLS that it becomes a problem.

So because I ask a question I'm a troll?

edin9
October 26th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Godwin's law is that, as a forum discussion grows larger, a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler is a certain occurrence.

O-k.

Bölvağur
October 26th, 2009, 06:56 PM
The Linux fanboys. Why do you feel the need to attack and rant at anyone who dares to say anything about linux negative?

Just like stated above:
They don't begin with the label "fanboy" and then start ranting, but they are fanboys because they rant.

Punctuation is forbidden:
The question should be why some people that have deeper knowledge over one area are annoyed when other people that have deeper knowledge over some different area say something they feel is wrong or is against some view of their's which for some strange reason is dear to them and anyone that doesn't have the same understanding as that person will feel that person is a fanboy because of his/her own lack of understanding of the matter in hand.

Man I always wanted to try that. :)

edin9
October 26th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Punctuation is forbidden:
The question should be why some people that have deeper knowledge over one area are annoyed when other people that have deeper knowledge over some different area say something they feel is wrong or is against some view of their's which for some strange reason is dear to them and anyone that doesn't have the same understanding as that person will feel that person is a fanboy because of his/her own lack of understanding of the matter in hand. N..eed ...air...

forrestcupp
October 26th, 2009, 07:15 PM
If we're out in public and you talk bad about people keeping a messy house, that's one thing. But when you come into my home and start talking negatively about my messy house, that's just offensive, and I might put up a fight.

Coming to a Linux forum just to stir up negative comments about Linux is like doing the latter example. It's just offensive and people are going to put up a fight. If you want to talk bad about Linux, do it in a Windows forum where people will back you up.

koenn
October 26th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Coming to a Linux forum just to stir up negative comments about Linux is like doing the latter example. It's just offensive and people are going to put up a fight. If you want to talk bad about Linux, do it in a Windows forum where people will back you up.
makes sense.

KiwiNZ
October 26th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I am closing this for obvious reasons