PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Anyone else having trouble getting it to boot?

Stupendous man
October 26th, 2009, 04:02 PM
So, the latest released version 8.something works fine, but I cannot get anything associated with the soon-to-be-new release to work at all.

I install from within Windows Vista, and it sets up a dual-boot just fine.
The beta refused to boot, giving me a command prompt and saying some basic commands were available only.

So I tried the release candidate, and it refused to boot properly too, this time giving me a brightly colored garbage graphics screen that looks like it was a screenshot of a crashed Commodore64 machine language program, even featuring large blocks of blinking stuff.

So, I tried Kubuntu, and instead of booting, I get nothing but a blinking cursor.

So, I don't know what the heck is wrong with this new release, since old releases worked fine for me, but I am a bit discouraged...

Any suggestions, anyone?

lemming465
October 28th, 2009, 02:23 AM
If older releases work for you, there is nothing wrong with going back to them. Everything since 8.04 is still supported!

You don't mention what your hardware is, particularly what your video chip is; that can matter a lot.

The new release 9.10 aka "karmic koala" is due out Thursday; if you've been having teething problems with the alphas or beta or RC (I've seen a few, no showstoppers for me) I'd wait about 3 more weeks for the initial round of production bugs to settle before trying it again.

Stupendous man
October 28th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the reply.

My hardware is:

Intel Quad-core Q9400 at 3.4GHz
Asus P5Q Mainbaord
Geforce GTX275 video
OCZ Reaper DDR2 1150 RAM

Yeah, the older releases worked. I don't know why the new ones don't but I guess I can wait. I was just interested in seeing the new release to possibly replace Windows 7 Beta I am using.

peterx2
October 28th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the reply.

My hardware is:

Intel Quad-core Q9400 at 3.4GHz
Asus P5Q Mainbaord
Geforce GTX275 video
OCZ Reaper DDR2 1150 RAM

Yeah, the older releases worked. I don't know why the new ones don't but I guess I can wait. I was just interested in seeing the new release to possibly replace Windows 7 Beta I am using.

The new 9.10 seems to default to RAID architecture and it also has switched to Grub2 which isnt all that compatible with Grub1..I too am getting educated with this new distro.. It looks good but it reacts poorly to surprises. If you wind up in RAID, gparted is useless.. Look carefully at the disk utility in 9.10 menu live and it does provide some partitioning capability. I am using 64bit system and havent had much luck getting 9.10 going except live. 32bit on another box with IDE instead of SATA works great. The older releases did work better but maybe there is hope for this one when some things are better explained. pete