PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Want to change the thumbnail size

lhoney2
October 26th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I would like to change the size of the thumbnail in the file browser. I know there is a zoom, but that just zoom in on the thumbnail and it becomes pixellated. I want to change the size of the thumbnails that are generated.

Using default install of Ubuntu 9.04

Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks in advance from a new guy to these forums and a ubuntu noob.

undecim
October 26th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Zooming works fine to change thumbnail size on mine. (though I'm also using Ubuntu 9.10)

What type of file are you trying to view? nautilus has to use different apps to retrieve different types thumbnails.

TenPlus1
October 26th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Install Ubuntu Tweak, it has an option to change the thumbnail sizes... www.getdeb.net

lhoney2
October 26th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Zooming works fine to change thumbnail size on mine. (though I'm also using Ubuntu 9.10)

What type of file are you trying to view? nautilus has to use different apps to retrieve different types thumbnails.

The zoom works for me, but it doesn't change the resolution of the image, so it looks all blocky.

I am trying to view RAW files, specifically .CR2 files from my Canon 5d mark 2 camera. It would be nice to have big, clear thumbnails to view so I can cull out my keepers before I open up my RAW conversion program.

Thanks for the reply!

lhoney2
October 26th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Install Ubuntu Tweak, it has an option to change the thumbnail sizes... www.getdeb.net

AWESOME! Thanks for the link, I will try installing it when I get home.

lhoney2
October 26th, 2009, 11:26 PM

OK, installed it. Can't for the life of me find where I can change the default thumbnail size though.

DJ_Peng
October 27th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Actually the best way to install it is from Launchpad. The UTweak Downloads pagehttp://ubuntu-tweak.com/downloads has all the information you need to grab it from there, along with making sure it's updated (although UTweak is able to update itself).

OK, installed it. Can't for the life of me find where I can change the default thumbnail size though.
Click on System on the left side then Nautilus. It's the first changable setting.

lhoney2
October 27th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Perfect! Thanks a bunch! Solved!

Actually the best way to install it is from Launchpad. The UTweak Downloads pagehttp://ubuntu-tweak.com/downloads has all the information you need to grab it from there, along with making sure it's updated (although UTweak is able to update itself).

Click on System on the left side then Nautilus. It's the first changable setting.

DJ_Peng
October 28th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Sweet. I have a number of apps installed from PPA's simply because it's easier to keep up-to-date than to rely on backports. You should see updates to UTweak within a day of the developer releasing them if you keep that source enabled. Speaking of UTweak updates, if you subscribe to his RSS feed you'll be able to automatically get information on releases and exactly what's in the update since PPA's don't usually have changelog info available.