PDA

View Full Version : Suggest an MP3 player?

Krovas
October 26th, 2009, 02:49 PM
...Ubuntu compatible, with little or no restriction as to what I can play on it, fairly cheap and readily available at WalMart? I find myself in need of portable music entertainment, but it seems I foolishly stored my old-but-formerly-nice Aiwa cd player with batteries in it.

Megrimn
October 26th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I think that any generic mp3 player would be capable of it. With my sister's old mp3 player, you could just drop the files on the device as if it were a flash drive and it would play it (my new Sandisk Sansa works exactly the same). Just make sure you know what file formats it supports. If you wanna go expensive, Ipods work with ubuntu, too, depending on your music player.

Dougie187
October 26th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Most Sansa players work in ubuntu. And they are constantly on sale. Significantly cheaper than an iPod and you can usually find one with expandable memory if you need more (fuze and clip+).

EDIT: Also, they support MP3 Ogg and Flac, and the fuze supports video, but that can be somewhat difficult to get on the fuze in linux.

cascade9
October 26th, 2009, 04:14 PM
*curbs automatic walmart xxxxx response*

For a flash based player, maybe try a iriver e100? 2/4/8GB models, microSD card slot, takes up to at least an 8GB card, plays radio, tiny videos (320x240 I think), MP3, Ogg and Flac. Ohh, also ASF and WMA, but no-one uses them, right?

sandyd
October 26th, 2009, 04:25 PM
+1 to all sandisk players they last long and are drag and drop players. note: i know their cheap, but stay away from phillips gogear players. they only read id3v1 tags, so you have to go through your entire music collection with easytag before the player regonizes any music.

Krovas
October 26th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Thanks everybody. I know, I'm not a big fan of the big W either, but they are literally the only place to shop around here for most things. Such is America these days.

plb
October 26th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Anything by sansa works with linux and they are cheap.

TwiceOver
October 26th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I really wish the Zune would work on Ubuntu. Never gonna happen, but it is a very nice player.

My Sansa works...

marchwarden
October 26th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Another vote for Sansa. Cheap, light, and gets to the point....it plays music.

Sunflower1970
October 26th, 2009, 07:40 PM
My husband has the 4gig Sansa Fuze, and loves it. Especially the slot for the micro SD cards. And it works flawlessly with Linux.

I have the Cowon iAudio6 which works flawlessly with Linux too.

We will buy from both these companies in the future, when it's time to upgrade.

Exodist
October 26th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Thanks everybody. I know, I'm not a big fan of the big W either, but they are literally the only place to shop around here for most things. Such is America these days.

Dont feel bad. I am not a big fan of W either, but I still drop 150bucks there a week on groceries and other items for the house. At least their clothing is better then it was a few years back.

SuperSonic4
October 26th, 2009, 07:58 PM
My husband has the 4gig Sansa Fuze, and loves it. Especially the slot for the micro SD cards. And it works flawlessly with Linux.

I have the Cowon iAudio6 which works flawlessly with Linux too.

We will buy from both these companies in the future, when it's time to upgrade.

I went with the Cowon too although mine was a D2. I added a 16gb sdhc card to it to give 20gb

ve4cib
October 26th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I went with the Cowon too although mine was a D2. I added a 16gb sdhc card to it to give 20gb

I opted for the Cowon X5 a few years back. No expandable memory, but I got the 30GB HD, which is only now starting to run out of room. And it's pretty easy to open the case up and swap out the HD (provided you have a replacement) in case you ever need to upgrade.

Cowchip7
October 26th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I bought myself a 1gb Dane-Elec flash-drive/mp3 player from Target for $10 bucks. Obviously it has no frills... but the price was right! :D

The player is a thumb-drive with a hole for headphones. The player comes with no directions besides what is written on the back of the box. To charge the player, you must connect it to a computer's USB port. In all, it is pretty ghetto!

Amazingly, the player recognizes ogg files... along with mp3 and wav. It would not recognize m4a... so I had to convert the files I transferred to the device to ogg.

Rhythmbox did not recognize the device... so I had to drag-and-drop.

Overall, it was worth $10 because I only needed it for running.

http://www.target.com/Dane-Elec-Black-Player-Head-Phones/dp/B002JTMB16

:popcorn:

clonne4crw
October 27th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Sansa Fuze + Rockbox is the best. I've had mine for a few years now. MicroSD slot is nice, the real click wheel is so much better (IMO) than the iPod's touch pads. Plus mine's survived everything that I've done to it. Accidentally being sat on, dropped into a pool, dropped off deck onto concrete.

doorknob60
October 27th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Sansa's FTW. I have an e260 with Rockbox, it's great. Fuzes are good too. They all work with Linux, and the newer ones (Fuze and Clip) work with OGG and Flac, and the older ones you can play OGG and Flac with Rockbox (which also works on some of the newer ones).

FrostyC
October 27th, 2009, 07:55 AM
I've never came across an MP3 player that didn't work on any distro of Linux ever. I'm sure there are some, but I've owned at least 15 MP3 players, all different brands & every single one worked just fine with no config in Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Puppy Linux & many other distros...

lisati
October 27th, 2009, 08:02 AM
I use a 1Gb "DSE" mp3 player from **** Smith Electronics (http://www.dse.co.nz), which I purchased for $NZ30. It supports mp3 & wma, and even has a "record" function which means I can use it as a note taker if I choose. One of its predecessors (gathering dust somewhere in the clutter), a 256Mb DSE beast, even has an FM radio.