PDA

View Full Version : O2 is a disgracefull service!

Jean-Danjou
October 26th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Bonjour,
Just change my ISP to O2. Bad move!
I had a problem with my connection today and got online to get technical support...
After the usual long waiting time, I got to an operator who ask me the usual questions, bla bla bla. And then, "what is your OS" ?
"Ubuntu sir!"
"Who"?
"Ubuntu, Linux!"
"What is it?"
At this point. I lost it (cant print the details!lol.)
I why just wondering how on earth can you be assign to technical support when you never heard about Linux ??? Well sad.
At the end I got told that my OS was an unknown quantity which could not get any support at all!
"You need to run Windows! It's very good and boot in 20 seconds (???)..." said the technician !!!
"#@:!?#~!!... Can't print my answer )
Nice to know you can get such a good support from this big company :)
Thanks a lot again for all the good tips Mr O2 !

Albert Einstein (http://www.wisdomquotes.com/001058.html): Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Merci !

JillSwift
October 26th, 2009, 12:52 PM
You cursed the guy out?

Jeez.

There's never a need to be a jerk - just need to say "Kind sir, I've made my OS choice and I'm unsure why you think you've the right to question it. If you can't help me, kindly pass on my call to someone who can."

And on the claim of no support, say: "There were no OS requirements on my contract." (Assuming you read your contract.) "If you refuse to offer the contracted support, I expect a full refund."

A firm and polite attitude is incredibly effective.

hoppipolla
October 26th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Sorry to say this duuuude but Windows is by far the most supported OS ._.

You really can't assume Ubuntu/Linux support. In fact it is usually more accurate to assume NO Ubuntu or Linux support ._.

I do! lol

It is possible to get most things working on it, but I keep a dual boot ticking over just in case! :)

speedwell68
October 26th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I had this with Sky, I was getting line speed issues. What OS are you using? They suggested that this was why I was experiencing line speed issues. So I asked him how that effected the connection speed reported by the router? The answer was because it can. So I asked them if they would like to explain that reason to trading standards? They changed that idea. When they put me through to the second tier support and they asked me what OS I was using they had no issues. Basically the people answering the phones are nothing but call centre monkies that are just reading scripts from screens. The second tier guy agreed with me that OS choice will have no bearing on line speed and he fixed the problem.

JillSwift
October 26th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I had this with Sky, I was getting line speed issues. What OS are you using? They suggested that this was why I was experiencing line speed issues. So I asked him how that effected the connection speed reported by the router? The answer was because it can. So I asked them if they would like to explain that reason to trading standards? They changed that idea. When they put me through to the second tier support and they asked me what OS I was using they had no issues. Basically the people answering the phones are nothing but call centre monkies that are just reading scripts from screens. The second tier guy agreed with me that OS choice will have no bearing on line speed and he fixed the problem.
See, Jean-Danjou? Firm and polite gets you in contact with the folks with brains. :biggrin:

speedwell68
October 26th, 2009, 01:05 PM
And on the claim of no support, say: "There were no OS requirements on my contract." (Assuming you read your contract.) "If you refuse to offer the contracted support, I expect a full refund."

I haven't come across a UK ISP that does not insist on Mac or Windows for support. I quote from the box that my Sky Netgear router came in..

PC with Ethernet port or Wireless connection (IEEE 802.11b, 802.11g).
Macintosh with Ethernet port or Wireless connection (IEEE 802.11b, 802.11g).
OS: Microsoft Windows 2000, XP or Vista, Apple Macintosh OSX v10.2.6 (Jaguar) or higher

I agree you have to be firm with these people, but never swear, shout or lose you temper. Always be polite. When you rant and rave at them, they will just think f$%& you mate and string you along, they are human after all.

JillSwift
October 26th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I haven't come across a UK ISP that does not insist on Mac or Windows for support. I quote from the box that my Sky Netgear came in..
Even within the contract? That sucks. It's been my trump card every time with my ISP.

koshatnik
October 26th, 2009, 01:24 PM
You cursed the guy out?

Jeez.

There's never a need to be a jerk - just need to say "Kind sir, I've made my OS choice and I'm unsure why you think you've the right to question it. If you can't help me, kindly pass on my call to someone who can."

+1 Manners ftw. It gets you places, you keep your dignity, and you can still make a point.

And yes, check your contract, not what it says on the outside of the box.

lovinglinux
October 26th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Last time I called my ISP to solve connection issues, the operator asked me "What version of Windows do you have?". Sad, really sad.

twright
October 26th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Why tell them your OS?

I'm sure you know enough command line fu to bypass the whole, click the big green button which says Start routine.

speedwell68
October 26th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Even within the contract? That sucks. It's been my trump card every time with my ISP.

Nope it doesn't, you're right. I guess the statement on the router box is for Netgear's crappy router setup software. The only reference to OS or computer in the T&Cs of the contract is this...

You have the option of installing McAfee Internet Security Suite if you are a PC user or McAfee VirusScan if you are a Mac user. If you want to install this software you will have to uninstall any existing security software beforehand. If you do not want to install this software, please advise the engineer before your installation starts.

Now, I am a "PC" user, by virtue of not using a Mac, does that mean I can expect a refund or partial refund as the provided Mcafee software doesn't work? I have the disc for it right here, as provided with my Sky Netgear Router. They should have included the word Windows in that sentance, they have assumed that all PCs run Windows. Hmmm...:P

ukripper
October 26th, 2009, 01:51 PM
BT has been best for me so far. Even running SMTP service on home network which most ISP block nowadays on port 25 is working fine. I only had 1 service problem for 2 hours in past 3 years.

JillSwift
October 26th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Nope it doesn't, you're right. I guess the statement on the router box is for Netgear's crappy router setup software. The only reference to OS or computer in the T&Cs of the contract is this...

Now, I am a "PC" user, by virtue of not using a Mac, does that mean I can expect a refund or partial refund as the provided Mcafee software doesn't work? I have the disc for it right here, as provided with my Sky Netgear Router. They should have included the word Windows in that sentance, they have assumed that all PCs run Windows. Hmmm...:P
Hehe. You have the option of installing it, using it is a crapshoot. =^_^=

haemulon
October 26th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Disgusting attitude on the part of the OP.

You chose to use an OS that you know is not as widely supported or even known about.

That's just the way it is.

So that is just part of using Linux.

As far as a tech guy not knowing about Linux, I know windows programmers that only know that Linux exists and that is it, they've been programming most of their lives, they nothing else about it.

The tech guy obviously just stays in the Windows world.

This is something I've noticed about some Linux users.

They overestimate the popularity of Linux, since they're into it.

Throw in the words "Ubuntu Linux" and it's even worse.

In fact I'd say most people, including people otherwise knowledgeable about computing, often know next to nothing about it.

ukripper
October 26th, 2009, 02:25 PM
As far as a tech guy not knowing about Linux, I know windows programmers that only know that Linux exists and that is it, they've been programming most of their lives, they nothing else about it.

Programming is a wide term. What in windows they program? I develop applications in ASP.net/C# but i do know what linux is and how it works. Your point is incoherent!

cascade9
October 26th, 2009, 02:35 PM

You chose to use an OS that you know is not as widely supported or even known about.

Give the guy a break. Yes, he probably got mad, and swore a bit. Yes, it was counter-productive. But if you have never got fustrated at a silly situation, them your a better human being than me. ;)

Basically the people answering the phones are nothing but call centre monkies that are just reading scripts from screens. The second tier guy agreed with me that OS choice will have no bearing on line speed and he fixed the problem.

Thats the problem.

nubimax
October 26th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I tell the IP before I buy that I use linux OSes if they can not hanlde that ten I will have to use another IP.
M

Ocxic
October 26th, 2009, 11:04 PM
I would have to agree about the attitude. I worked as an apple tech, for a year an a half, even becoming Apple certified. BUT the second you start swearing at me, I hang up, if i don't your lucky, and don't think I'm gonna go outta my way to help you.

I remember 2 calls for the exact same issue, a crack in the computer. one guy was a complete a**, even though he had never called in for anything for over a year. needless to say "I'm sorry but the warranty does not cover physical damage, cracks, etc.. goodbye"

call 2, nice woman asked if there was anything i could do(even said SHE NEW that this isn't covered.),
lo and behold, after a few min of looking I found a tech article that let me fix it for free under an extended repair program.

key point,, be nice to the people you want help from or don't expect much.

I get the same "we don't support that OS" from Bell Sympatico, my respones "No worries, I just need help with my internet connection, not my computer." you be suprised at some of the things that the tech says in response to that before finally sending me up to level 2, that understands and just tells me to "ping this, do that, etc.." and lets me take care of the "how it's done part" myself./
The level 1 guys don't understand how to tell you to do something without walking you through every single little step.

people like me and you who actually know what there doing are a god send to tech support people, trust me i know, it just makes everything so much easier.

t0p
October 26th, 2009, 11:15 PM

Disgusting attitude on the part of haemulon. Grrr!!

Anyway.

If a customer calls in with a problem, customer service monkeys are instructed to find a reason for the problem that they can blame on the customer. Whatever the problem, the monkey must try to establish that it's not the ISP's fault.

So if you tell them you're using some unknown, bizarro-world OS like Linux, you're giving it to them on a silver platter. It's your fault for not being a regular, Windows-running human being.

My tip: if the problem is not OS-based, just tell them you're using Vista. Or 7. Don't get into the stupid argument about whether your OS can or can't slow down the internet. Why tell them you're using Ubuntu? Cos you're a proud Ubuntero? Do you think that monkey cares what OS you use? Do you think he makes a note of what OS each caller uses, so he can compile accurate statistics on OS market share? Hint: he doesn't.

Maybe you think you need to tell him you're using Ubuntu so he can give you the correct Ubuntu-oriented advice? LMAO!!

speedwell68
October 26th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Disgusting attitude on the part of haemulon. Grrr!!

Anyway.

If a customer calls in with a problem, customer service monkeys are instructed to find a reason for the problem that they can blame on the customer. Whatever the problem, the monkey must try to establish that it's not the ISP's fault.

So if you tell them you're using some unknown, bizarro-world OS like Linux, you're giving it to them on a silver platter. It's your fault for not being a regular, Windows-running human being.

My tip: if the problem is not OS-based, just tell them you're using Vista. Or 7. Don't get into the stupid argument about whether your OS can or can't slow down the internet. Why tell them you're using Ubuntu? Cos you're a proud Ubuntero? Do you think that monkey cares what OS you use? Do you think he makes a note of what OS each caller uses, so he can compile accurate statistics on OS market share? Hint: he doesn't.

Maybe you think you need to tell him you're using Ubuntu so he can give you the correct Ubuntu-oriented advice? LMAO!!

In the first instance I tell them I am using a Linux based OS, what is the point in not. If the problem is OS based I would not have been phoning them. They can't penalise me for using it, if they do then they will get dealt with by Ofcomm and trading standards.

Frak
October 27th, 2009, 12:10 AM
If they hung up on the spot, I would have lol'd. Guess what, you use an obscure OS that normal people who do tech support haven't heard about.

It's their job, not their career.

twright
October 27th, 2009, 12:37 AM
In the first instance I tell them I am using a Linux based OS, what is the point in not. If the problem is OS based I would not have been phoning them. They can't penalise me for using it, if they do then they will get dealt with by Ofcomm and trading standards.
you != standard consumer... the entire system cannot be based around edge cases: in this instance it is the Windows to our Linux.

Maybe tomorrow I should show up at McDonalds and ask for Belgian caviar with truffles on top - it is always difficult to view tech support from the other side.

howefield
October 27th, 2009, 12:53 AM
"#@:!?#~!!... Can't print my answer )

Sure you did, you were probably as meek as a lamb, and just found your indignation whilst typing. :)

As others have pointed out, you would have been made aware of the conditions of service before signing up which no doubt spelled out clearly which operating systems were required/supported.

Incidentally, it is not only Linux getting the cold shoulder, several versions of windows are (often) not supported. The more systems that are supported, the greater the cost.

JillSwift
October 27th, 2009, 01:10 AM
There are some odd arguments in this thread.

It's necessary for an ISP to support common operating systems, as the common users aren't going to be very tech savvy. The first tier helpdesk will need to guide people through user-side configuration because the user probably won't know how to configure their network stack. (Or perhaps even know that they have one to configure.)

Thus folks like us who use uncommon operating systems need to be able to handle the user-side configuration stuff ourselves. Just how it is.

But: It's absurd that ISPs will drop support phone calls for line-side problems because you're not using a common OS. That's dodging their contractual responsibility to provide the service you're paying for. It is reasonable to expect the user of an OS not directly supported by the first tier helpdesk to be able to be given configuration information without the hand-holding. Similarly, it is reasonable to expect the ISP helpdesk to give you that configuration information 'in the raw' if they don't have a script for your OS. Once that's done, and if that hasn't remedied the issue, then pass your call up to the second tier.

Or, as I've put it to my ISP's help desk when they say "We don't support your operating system."; "I don't expect you to. But you had best support the service I'm paying for."