PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu switchters (from other distros)

maflynn
October 26th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Since Ubuntu is the largest distro and its made great inroads with users who would not be considered typical Linux users. However how has it faired with other Linux users.

For instance, how many of you folks came from centos, redhat, fedora, suse, etc.

So who's switched from another distro and why?

Tibuda
October 26th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I have used Conectiva before, but I leaved Linux before trying it again with Ubuntu, so I don't think it counts as a switch.

Mighty_Joe
October 26th, 2009, 02:15 PM
I switched from Gentoo 3 years ago (almost to the date!). Gentoo's very high maintenance, which was fine when I had free time to spare, and I was looking for something that "just worked". I asked on another forum and the majority of people suggested Ubuntu.
Before Gentoo I ran RedHat Linux 7-8-9. I left RH because I didn't trust Fedora (I don't think my fears have been validated).

Simian Man
October 26th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I switched to Ubuntu briefly to see what all the fuss was about. After using it for a while, I never found a single way in which it was better than Fedora, so I switched back.

vinutux
October 26th, 2009, 02:30 PM
switched from fedora before fedora i used redhat 7, Mandriva,suse, PCQlinux (Indian customization of fedora/redhat from PCQuest magazine)...etc

praveesh
October 26th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Iam from Fedora and opensuse . Fedora didn't just work . I still love opensuse , but Iam not that much impressed with their package manager , .

RichardLinx
October 26th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Iam from Fedora and opensuse . Fedora didn't just work . I still love opensuse , but Iam not that much impressed with their package manager , .

I don't see what's so impressive about Synaptic or apt-get either. I guess I'll just never understand.

vinutux
October 26th, 2009, 03:00 PM
I don't see what's so impressive about Synaptic or apt-get either. I guess I'll just never understand.

Ha ha ha... do you used any other distros before like fedora,suse,mandriva..etc

Krovas
October 26th, 2009, 03:04 PM
To the best of my knowledge, Ubuntu is the only distro that can install encrypted from scratch, which is why I use it. But my knowledge may be lacking...

RichardLinx
October 26th, 2009, 03:08 PM

The only Debian based distributions I've used are Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Mint, and CrunchBang. I still fail to see what is so impressive about APT. I hope that answers your question since it's evident you think I've only used RPM based distro's.

Simian Man
October 26th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I have used all of those and find that both apt and synaptic are over-complicated and non-user friendly.

To the best of my knowledge, Ubuntu is the only distro that can install encrypted from scratch, which is why I use it. But my knowledge may be lacking...

Your knowledge is indeed lacking :).

gnuisancev3
October 26th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Since Ubuntu is the largest distro and its made great inroads with users who would not be considered typical Linux users. However how has it faired with other Linux users.

For instance, how many of you folks came from centos, redhat, fedora, suse, etc.

Ubuntu doesn't have the speed I would like. I don't like Xsplash or usplash. I don't like upstart and prefer bsd style startup scripts.

That being said, I do sometimes get tired of the distros where you must always fiddle with things and ubuntu does have a nice default setup.

I keep distro hopping back and forth between Ubuntu and Arch, they're both amazing distros in their own way.

praveesh
October 26th, 2009, 03:23 PM

once , in opensuse , it couldn't resolve a dependancy related to virtualbox . I didn't get any dependancy problem in Ubuntu . I used to install packages manually individually and by dpkg -i * . Still , I was/am able to resolve the dependancy problems with synaptic and apt-get.

RichardLinx
October 26th, 2009, 03:29 PM
once , in opensuse , it couldn't resolve a dependancy related to virtualbox . I didn't get any dependancy problem in Ubuntu . I used to install packages manually individually and by dpkg -i * . Still , I was/am able to resolve the dependancy problems with synaptic and apt-get.

How many years ago was this?

vinutux
October 26th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I have used all of those and find that both apt and synaptic are over-complicated and non-user friendly.

Your knowledge is indeed lacking :).

mm....That Question is not 4 u....it 4 RichardLinx.....:)

slakkie
October 26th, 2009, 03:57 PM

I came from FreeBSD a couple of years ago.

praveesh
October 26th, 2009, 04:13 PM
How many years ago was this?

1 year . That was a kde 4.1 live cd version of opensuse .