PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade thoughts

m4tic
October 26th, 2009, 11:24 AM
My machine is about 5years now and running Jaunty without troubles. I do not use it for anything other than music. I use my phone's data bundles for internet and really do not see the need for upgrading.
What type of users is Karmic suited for?

RichardLinx
October 26th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Users like me who have bogged up there system with so much random software that a clean reinstall is easier than manually removing everything. Users like me who will be able happy with some of the new (though minor) added features and application integration. Like Empathy with GNOME (indicator-applet).

Just people who want something a little more modern. Sure, I can upgrade Firefox to the latest release on Ubuntu 9.04 (Which I actually have) but wouldn't it be nicer to have it completely integrated into the default environment, along with the latest kernel.

Performance boost in the operating system is also a welcome change and worth the upgrade. It's also good to have updated repositories. The Gnome-Disk-Utility, UbunutuOne (by default), Software Centre, and humanity icon set are also nice.

add-apt-ppa also sounds very good. I also read somewhere (forgot where) that fonts can now be installed in one click. Sounds like it's worth the upgrade to me.

Funny thing is, I probably won't be using it too soon or at all either.

samh785
October 26th, 2009, 12:26 PM
My machine is about 5years now and running Jaunty without troubles. I do not use it for anything other than music. I use my phone's data bundles for internet and really do not see the need for upgrading.
If you're machine is really running that perfectly, then I would maybe wait until jaunty loses support before upgrading. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

jonian_g
October 26th, 2009, 12:43 PM
I have been using karmic since alpha and I'm impressed.
It is faster than jaunty. Boots and shuts down really fast.
It has a nice new disk utility.
OpenOffice starts very fast.
Network manager has a disconnect option, which is handy.
Software center is a very good addition and its best feature for me is that it lets you browse and add new apps while installation is in progress.

And it has a facelift on its looks.

maflynn
October 26th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I agree with samh785. If you're system is stable, functions as you want it too and the upgrade has little features for you then there's little reason for the upgrade.

btw, I find it (I know I'm going to get flamed) humorous that people mentioned faster boot times or the updated splash/login screens as the major features. I don't boot linux unless I have too, and I don't care about boot times or what my login screen looks like :P

Personally I'm not sure I'll be upgrading either - I'm really underwhelmed by 9.10

drawkcab
October 27th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Have been running Karmic this week. It's great, an improvement on Jaunty for sure.

It does seem to run faster. The big selling point for me, though, is the improved Intel gpu drivers which have helped my little eeepc tremendously.

Oh and there is a netrek client in the repos so you can ogg some klingons if you feel up to it. :D

misfitpierce
October 27th, 2009, 05:02 AM
I recommend everyone just Fresh Install 9.10 anyways to make full use of the new harddrive format which is EXT4 now instead of the default EXT3 on 9.04 and below. It shows significant speed enhancements on many tests done by phoronix and is quite worth the fresh install as a note to all.

JDShu
October 27th, 2009, 05:14 AM
I just upgraded to Karmic a couple of hours ago. I agree, its quite underwhelming, and yes I broke the "if it ain't, don't fix it rule" :P nearly caused my computer to stop working completely but luckilly, I figured out how to manage GRUB2.

The two main benefits for me (samsung q310) were the webcam driver that wasn't available in the default kernel in Jaunty, and the nvidia driver "just works" so I don't have to manually install the file from the nvidia website.

Oh, and the Software Center is actually more impressive than it sounds.

RichardLinx
October 27th, 2009, 05:16 AM
I recommend everyone just Fresh Install 9.10 anyways to make full use of the new harddrive format which is EXT4 now instead of the default EXT3 on 9.04 and below. It shows significant speed enhancements on many tests done by phoronix and is quite worth the fresh install as a note to all.

I haven't had trouble with Ext4 on Ubuntu 9.04 anyway.

Capt. Blackwood
October 27th, 2009, 05:26 AM
I'll put it this way...if i have to go to ext 4...fine. As long as i'm still running Half-Life 2 when it's released I'm good.

That's HL2 Episode 2... :D

wilee-nilee
October 27th, 2009, 08:27 AM

Good Advice.

ndefontenay
October 27th, 2009, 08:38 AM
What kind of problem with Grub2 did you encounter?

mingtien
October 27th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Just curious if anyone has tried Karmic with a low-memory desktop machine?

The serviced apartment I'm in comes with a free to use desktop -- relatively decent spec other than the fact that it only has 512 MB RAM.

Jaunty runs fairly well, as long as I do not load more than 2 applications at a time. As the sound card is dead on my laptop, I prefer to keep that with Vista (required for work), and just use the desktop for my personal stuff.

They are moving me to a new flat (so a new PC, but possibly still with only 512 MB) on Monday -- just in time for Karmic, so I'm debating whether to continue with Jaunty for another month or just load a fresh install of Karmic straight away.

Cheers,

David (in Singapore and Kuala Lumpur for the time being!)

drawkcab
October 27th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Just curious if anyone has tried Karmic with a low-memory desktop machine?

The serviced apartment I'm in comes with a free to use desktop -- relatively decent spec other than the fact that it only has 512 MB RAM.

Jaunty runs fairly well, as long as I do not load more than 2 applications at a time. As the sound card is dead on my laptop, I prefer to keep that with Vista (required for work), and just use the desktop for my personal stuff.

They are moving me to a new flat (so a new PC, but possibly still with only 512 MB) on Monday -- just in time for Karmic, so I'm debating whether to continue with Jaunty for another month or just load a fresh install of Karmic straight away.

Cheers,

David (in Singapore and Kuala Lumpur for the time being!)

You can install the lxde desktop within Koala's software center. After that, you can choose an lxde session instead of gnome, kde or xfce. LXDE will fly on 512mb of ram!

nss0000
November 11th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Yep -- spot.on for folks with UBUNTU "production" boxes. My AMD_5400+ has been running x64-8.04.1 LTS since it came out ... I see no reason to "rotate" till the tires wear out.

My new AMD_965/MSI_gd70 is in "learning mode" running x32-Jaunty. When x64_10.4-LTS comes along in April I do a clean install along with hardware upgrades & unless AMD produces a 5-ghz quad that's-that for the next five years !!

Ex0suit
November 11th, 2009, 02:41 AM

If you only use your computer for music, don't bother upgrading until 9.04 is unsupported.

wulfgang
November 11th, 2009, 02:43 AM
If you're machine is really running that perfectly, then I would maybe wait until jaunty loses support before upgrading. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I have never had the patience to wait until my current version was old. I like the latest and the greatest.(Except that I heard alot of horrible stuff about karmic, So I'm waiting a couple months.)