PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Global Menu GTK trouble!

exaviorn
October 26th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Hey,
A month ago I decided to, (for a bit of fun) change my linux theme and turn it into a mac using Mac4lin, I followed a tutorial somewere on the internet and it all worked.

However the new mac theme wasnt for me so I uninstalled everything using the mac for lin uninstall script and manualy apt-get remove.

One of those programs I manualy removed was globalmenu-gnome.

now though, whenever I update or install an app, this line sometimes appears on the terminal:

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "globalmenu-gnome": libglobalmenu-gnome.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

It might list something else different,but usually along the terms of failed to load module.

Will this prevent any upgrades to karmatic? I was thinking of trying the latest beta?

Thanks
Exaviorn

Giblet5
October 26th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Try looking at your ~/.xsession-errors file.

It should have the details.

gnuisancev3
October 26th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I'm not sure how mac4lin goes for it, but i know that you used to have to patch gtk2 in order to get the global menu installed and working. You will probably see problems stemming from this until you completely remove and reinstall gtk2.

exaviorn
October 26th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Yes, I checked the file

The phrase:

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "globalmenu-gnome": libglobalmenu-gnome.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

crops up every few lines.

How do I stop it?

exaviorn
October 26th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I'm not sure how mac4lin goes for it, but i know that you used to have to patch gtk2 in order to get the global menu installed and working. You will probably see problems stemming from this until you completely remove and reinstall gtk2.

Basicaly I followed this guide (http://maketecheasier.com/turn-your-ubuntu-intrepid-into-mac-osx-leopard/2009/01/08)

All I did was use alien to install the .rpm, I'm wondering if there is a reference to Global menu still somewhere in a config file :confused:

Giblet5
October 26th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Probably in your config somewhere...

You can find out by creating a test user, logging in as that user, and seeing if that test user gets the error.

You can try searching for it in your normal user's account via
find $HOME -type f -exec grep -l global {} \;

and editing out any found references to that stuff.

Pro Tip: anytime you need to install an rpm file, you're trying to run code that was built for redhat linux code on your ubuntu box and you might regret it.

exaviorn
October 26th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Probably in your config somewhere...

You can find out by creating a test user, logging in as that user, and seeing if that test user gets the error.

You can try searching for it in your normal user's account via
find $HOME -type f -exec grep -l global {} \;

and editing out any found references to that stuff.

Pro Tip: anytime you need to install an rpm file, you're trying to run code that was built for redhat linux code on your ubuntu box and you might regret it.

Thanks!
the other user test proved that its just affecting my user - typing gedit into terminal didnt provoke any warnings.

however your second suggestion was strange - the output was mostly browser cache, it then outputted wine config files and other strange program configs, surely a single program can't be in so many apps: some ive only installed reciently:confused:

Giblet5
October 26th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks!
the other user test proved that its just affecting my user - typing gedit into terminal didnt provoke any warnings.

however your second suggestion was strange - the output was mostly browser cache, it then outputted wine config files and other strange program configs, surely a single program can't be in so many apps: some ive only installed reciently:confused:

The find command I posted just gives clues.

This will narrow the search (a lot) to just the main config directories in your account:
find $HOME/.gconf $HOME/.gnome2 $HOME/.config -type f -exec grep -l global {} \;

Good luck.

exaviorn
October 26th, 2009, 09:22 PM
The find command I posted just gives clues.

This will narrow the search (a lot) to just the main config directories in your account:
find $HOME/.gconf $HOME/.gnome2 $HOME/.config -type f -exec grep -l global {} \;

Good luck.

Thanks, Ive found at least one reference so far, however is it safe to just remove from the file e.g:

(home).gconf/apps/gnome_settings_daemon/gtk-modules/%gconf.xml

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<gconf>
<entry name="globalmenu-gnome" mtime="1252692989" type="bool" value="tr$
</gconf>

adisk
June 15th, 2012, 02:10 AM
Look at
/etc/profile.d/globalmenu.sh
You can remove it.

lisati
June 15th, 2012, 07:06 AM
Back to sleep, old thread. A lot can happen in 3 years.