PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Remove vista restore partition from grub2 menu

walter_j
October 26th, 2009, 04:24 AM
Running kubuntu and ubuntu 9.10. Vista is on sda1, and linux partitions on sdb1. The vista hdd has a recovery partition which i don't want to see when booting. How can i do this? it certainly isn't easy with grub2. Is there a gui for editing grub2 menus?

i've attached a script i found in a forum that added vista to the grub2 menu. it's greek to me (maybe geek).

Walter

Mark Phelps
October 26th, 2009, 04:05 PM
... The vista hdd has a recovery partition which i don't want to see when booting. How can i do this? it certainly isn't easy with grub2.

That's certainly true -- GRUB2, with all of its scripting, is going to be a LOT HARDER for folks to customize than was legacy GRUB with its simple text file.

Is there a gui for editing grub2 menus?
NO -- by design. GRUB2 developers don't want you editing menu files.

You can read through the Wiki GRUB2 link below: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2

walter_j
October 27th, 2009, 03:07 AM
I ran the following:

sudo chmod +w /boot/grub/grub.cfg # Remove 'read-only', necessary even for "root"

sudo kate /boot/grub/grub.cfg

I deleted the unwanted entries, saved the file, and now the boots are the way i want em.

If i need to rebuild the menus,

sudo update-grub

Maybe there's and approved way of doing it, but this is a quick and dirty way to do it. I'm not sure how to recover if a mistake is made though.

Walter

walter

jimbo99
October 27th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Grub from menu.lst to grub.cfg. Shouldn't they have complied with standards and called it grub.conf?