PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to learn Linux

Quick Silver
October 26th, 2009, 03:37 AM
I am not sure exactly where else to post this other then here so I appologiize if I posted it in the wrong spot. Anyways, I have some basic and general knowledge of Linux (ubuntu) and I am able to get around fairly well. However, I want to learn more. I really want to learn how Linux works. I want to learn what each part of the file system and its folder do. Why they are there and how they can help me to get the most out of Linux. I have read a few suggestions like trying slax or gentoo and arch. I believe I read somewhere to start with arch then move to gentoo, then LFS. I really just want to get your opinion of where I should start and how I should progress. Also what are the advantages of learning from each of these different distros and are they going to help me learn linux overall or just their system and way of doing things.

mivo
October 26th, 2009, 03:43 AM
For me it was installing Arch Linux on a spare machine with the Wiki for assistance.

ndefontenay
October 26th, 2009, 03:49 AM
This is such a broad knowledge that it's hard to know everything.

I personally like cheat sheets. They tend to compile a set of useful information on one page, such as the one in my signature.

As for the different folders, it's actually pretty simple. You'll find a lot of good explanation online. I'm sure you figured out the following already:

* / - root directory
* /home - where directories are contained for each user, example:
* /usr - pronounced 'user' and contains Linux commands and utilities
o /bin - binary executable programs
o /lib - program libraries, similar to Windows 'dll' files
o /sbin - more executable programs and Linux utilities for administrative purposes
o /doc - documentation
o /src - source code to programs
* /tmp - temporary work files
* /etc - configuration files
o /rc.d - scripts used during boot and shutdown process
o /sysconfig - default configuration files
o /sysconfig/network-scripts - network scripts
o /sysconfig/daemons - special programs that run in background, such as print spooling
* /bin - binary executable programs that all users need
* /dev - device files that control drives, terminals and any equipment attached to the server
* /var - user specific files
o /log - log files containing system usage and errors
o /spool - where spooled files are stored during print spooling process
o /mail - where Email files are stored until retrieved by client Email program
* /proc - system files
* /root - root's home directory
* /opt - other options
* /sbin - more executable programs and utilities

Enjoy : )

If you're into scripting and such, I guess you have to think of a little project you would like to do and find a way to make it work.

I've blown my wife's mind with the cal command:

cal 1979 (my birth year) returns a calendar with days and dates allowing me to find the day I'm born. Something important in Thailand.

Also for a bit of fun try:
totally useless but funny (my wife thinks I'm crazy)

apt-get moo

pluviosity
October 26th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Use it.

renkinjutsu
October 26th, 2009, 03:50 AM
yup, i would say any sort of minimum install, be it Arch or Ubuntu minimal install, would help you to understand that any linux distro is just a software stack

and from there, you can move on to becoming Master of the universe.

RichardLinx
October 26th, 2009, 03:50 AM
There's a saying that goes something like this:

If you use Ubuntu, you learn Ubuntu. If you use Red Hat, you learn Red Hat. If you use Slackware, you learn Linux.
If you've got a spare computer you should download slackware and follow the wiki to get it up and running how you like. You could also install slackware through a VM on your Ubuntu installation.

FuturePilot
October 26th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Use it.

This ^

chris200x9
October 26th, 2009, 03:52 AM
freebsd :P

fancypiper
October 26th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Install, use, break it, fix it.

LINUX: Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition (http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz)

Dharmachakra
October 26th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Installing Arch will get you comfortable with the command-line and might help you learn configuration files but thats about it. In fact, Arch does a couple of things that aren't standard to Linux distributions. One example is 'rc.conf', where a few common settings are stored in a single file. In most distributions, the same settings would be found elsewhere.

Here's the Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard) page regarding the file system structure. I'd suggest looking it over and then doing some link-surfing. You'll probably stumble upon other things that you're interested in.

Frak
October 26th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Use it, break it fix it.

All of which you will eventually do, whether you like it or not.

Xbehave
October 26th, 2009, 04:04 AM
play with it, a lot of people are suggesting you switch distros but you can learn about most things in the comfort of a ubuntu although you should probably switch to fedora if you want to learn selinux or opensuse/fedora for rpm/yum.

You can learn quite a bit when installing and configuring distro that doesn't do anything for you slackware/arch/gentoo*, but once you've set it up there is little advantage to keeping it.

*you will learn patiences if you choose gentoo as compiling takes time!

jpmelos
October 26th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Best way to learn it is use it. You'll eventually break it and when you fix it, congratulations, you learned something new. There's no book "Linux, all inside". There's always something new to be learned. I think that installing some distro that do nothing for you will teach you a lot in a small timeframe. Go for Arch Linux, Gentoo, Slackware... But never stop using and breaking whatever distro you are using. :P

Xbehave
October 26th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Go for Arch Linux, Gentoo, Slackware... But never stop using and breaking whatever distro you are using. :P
Note, if you do need to actually use your computer it may be worth keeping a working distro around on a seperate partition

fancypiper
October 26th, 2009, 04:53 AM
I chose Ubuntu after running Fedora/Mandrivia/Gentoo for a few years. Then I tried Debian and saw the popularity of Ubuntu skyrocketing and installed 8.04.

I loved apt-get/Synaptic for it's excellent conflict resolution. Next, I did a network upgrade and was amazed at the ease. I had previously re-installed to upgrade, but nearly all the software as well as the OS was upgraded. Now I am hooked (I think) and believe it's a keeper.

Both of my converts (one is nearly computer illiterate) are now running Ubuntu and are Windows free.

Ubuntu is a great Linux learning distro, as well as the best homeschooling distro (Edubuntu) that I have used so far.

The freedom and many choices of software is one of the best (and possibly the most confusing to most newbies used to the one way of Microsoft/Apple), but is easier to use than my other choice of distros.

Exodist
October 26th, 2009, 05:37 AM
What is the best way to learn Linux

Install any version of Linux as you main OS, I prefer debian based Ubuntu. I also suggest buying a Linux for Dummies and when you feel you need alot more information purchase Linux in a Nutshell for a complete list of console CLIs and how to use them.
Also try to help folks, if you dont know the answer on the forums. Read the post and read how it was fixed. It will seem all garbage for a while, but it will click one day and youll feel more at home with Linux then windows.

IMHO,

Exo

Quick Silver
October 26th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Thanks for all your quick responses. One thing I did not hear much about was gentoo or LFS does anyone have any opinions about those?

abhilashm86
October 26th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Install, use, break it, fix it.

LINUX: Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition (http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz)

+1
i learnt it same way!! crashed hardy heron to death on custom kernel compilation, now beating up jaunty n next waiting 4r karmic!!

Xbehave
October 26th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks for all your quick responses. One thing I did not hear much about was gentoo or LFS does anyone have any opinions about those?
Compiling is sloooow, I learnt a lot when i installed gentoo but most of it was actually just because its a ground up distro, installing arch will probably teach most of that (if you pay attention to compiler flags when installing programs in gentoo you will more about how certain programs interact (infact just picking you compilierflags can teach you a fair bit))

reading the guides can be useful even if you choose not to install either:
gentoo install howto (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?full=1) (covers compiling pretty well, probably worth a read)
arch beginners guide (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide) (less compiling, so shorter/quicker)

Notes: pulseaudio (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pulseaudio) is not covered by either (despite what critics say PA is the future of mainstream linux audio, so even if you don't like it (AKA not understanding it) you should learn about it)
Hal (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HAL) is also worth digging into if your looking to learn the future of linux (both use hal but don't go in depth in the installation).

Can't comment on LFS as i've not read it.

Grifulkin
October 26th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Install Crux there is a learning curve there.

Pasdar
October 26th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I am not sure exactly where else to post this other then here so I appologiize if I posted it in the wrong spot. Anyways, I have some basic and general knowledge of Linux (ubuntu) and I am able to get around fairly well. However, I want to learn more. I really want to learn how Linux works. I want to learn what each part of the file system and its folder do. Why they are there and how they can help me to get the most out of Linux. I have read a few suggestions like trying slax or gentoo and arch. I believe I read somewhere to start with arch then move to gentoo, then LFS. I really just want to get your opinion of where I should start and how I should progress. Also what are the advantages of learning from each of these different distros and are they going to help me learn linux overall or just their system and way of doing things.
By helping others find a solution to their problem in the problem section... you'll eventually be very experienced..

jpmelos
October 26th, 2009, 08:57 PM
By helping others find a solution to their problem in the problem section... you'll eventually be very experienced..

I agree. Teaching is learning twice. You can see what the problem looks like through someone else experience, that's very good.

Quick Silver
October 28th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Thanks again for all your replies. I think I'm going to mess around with Slackware

oobuntoo
October 28th, 2009, 06:27 AM
The distros that make you pull out more hair are the ones that are best for learning Linux. All those pores left on your head will accelerate the process of learning through osmimosis.:lol:

Quick Silver
October 28th, 2009, 04:29 PM
makes sense . . .