PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Left mouse button gone flakey

arpad
October 25th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Just upgraded to 9.10 and everything went swimmingly but now, a couple of hours and a reboot or two later, the left mouse button has gone flakey. Most of the time it takes from ten to thirty seconds to get a mouse-click holding the left button down. Other times it takes longer and sometimes it reacts normally. The system's pretty close to unusable so any help would be appreciated.

earthpigg
October 26th, 2009, 01:30 AM
sounds like hardware failure that happened coincidentally around the same time as your ubuntu upgrade. let's verify or rule that out:

how does that mouse work on a 9.10 or 9.04 live cd?
or
how does that mouse work on different computers?
or
how do other mice work on that computer?

and
try different usb ports.

the left mouse button is the most used physical button on you computer system. not surprising that it will fail at some point, when you think about it :D

if your mouse is indeed dying, i suggest going to your local "mom and pop" computer store for a new one, and avoiding big corporate shops like best buy that are only likely to have super mega deluxe mice for $40 or more.

arpad
October 26th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the reply.

When I take the mouse off my desktop computer that I just upgraded to 9.10 and put it on my laptop running 9.04 the mouse works fine. When I take the thumb-ball off the laptop and put it on the 9.10-desktop it acts just like the mouse, i.e. only the left mouse button acts as if it's got a variable delay from zero to as much as twenty seconds.

I think that takes hardware failure off the table.

jk-menifee
October 31st, 2009, 05:10 PM
May I suggest this is actually a new "feature" in 9.10? I've been searching around trying to find out about it. A single click on my laptop changes the cursor into a pointing finger (pointing up, toward the top of the screen) but the click isn't registered until I move the mouse around. I'm finding it quite annoying and I can't seem to find a setting to turn it off. My next stop after these forums will be to go to the Gnome homepage to see if they talk about this "feature."

arpad
October 31st, 2009, 07:19 PM
After a couple of days the problem seems to have resolved itself.

Thanks to everyone who offered a thought.