PDA

View Full Version : So, I went to a library booksale this weekend

Pogeymanz
October 25th, 2009, 11:19 PM
And I made out like a bandit!

I got three books on C++, one on XML, the O'Reilly Linux in a Nutshell book, SAMS Teach yourself Apache+MySQL+PHP, Some other Linux book, Several books by Richard Feynmann and Isaac Asimov, 2001: A Space Odyssey, 2061: Odyssey Three, Dune, and even more!

All this for somewhere around $1 US per book. I love living in a college town all of a sudden.

My fiancee also nabbed about a billion travel books, a whole bunch of zoology and national geographic style books and several textbooks.

All in all, we got well over $700 dollars worth of books (based on their original prices on the barcodes) for less than $50.

Squonk07
October 26th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Several books by...Isaac Asimov

I'm a huge fan. Which ones did you find? Huge swatches of his literature are out of print (some of it was given another run recently).

blueshiftoverwatch
October 26th, 2009, 12:08 AM
All in all, we got well over $700 dollars worth of books (based on their original prices on the barcodes) for less than $50.
Were they mostly hard or softcover?

Warpnow
October 26th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Check out goodwill sometime for books...all paperback books are 49 cents.

Shpongle
October 26th, 2009, 12:25 AM
cool stuff

Groucho Marxist
October 26th, 2009, 12:33 AM
And I made out like a bandit!

I got three books on C++, one on XML, the O'Reilly Linux in a Nutshell book, SAMS Teach yourself Apache+MySQL+PHP, Some other Linux book, Several books by Richard Feynmann and Isaac Asimov, 2001: A Space Odyssey, 2061: Odyssey Three, Dune, and even more!

All this for somewhere around $1 US per book. I love living in a college town all of a sudden.

My fiancee also nabbed about a billion travel books, a whole bunch of zoology and national geographic style books and several textbooks.

Congrats on the finds! The best thing I've found thus far at a library sale was a rare first edition copy of Bob Kane's autobiography Batman and Me.

Pogeymanz
October 26th, 2009, 12:53 AM
I'm a huge fan. Which ones did you find? Huge swatches of his literature are out of print (some of it was given another run recently).

I got "The Relativity of Wrong" and "Out of the Everywhere".
So, they are fairly new works of his, but I'm excited anyway.

They were mostly soft cover books. Some notable hardcovers are :The Feynmann Lectures on Physics, Volume 1, Cosmos by Carl Sagan, The Meaning of it All by Feynmann, 2061 and one of the C++ textbooks.

EDIT: I also saw a lot of Michael Chrichton books, but I'm not a big enough reader to get through them and all my other finds, so I let some other lucky person find them.

Bachstelze
October 26th, 2009, 12:57 AM
the O'Reilly Linux in a Nutshell book

I had this book, too. It's big, so it makes good fireplace material during cold winters. $1 was indeed a great bargain!

Cam42
October 26th, 2009, 03:09 AM
I've done this as well, although my library's lame, all I got was an old BSD book. But hey, for $0.50, I'm not complaining.

chris200x9
October 26th, 2009, 03:55 AM
I'm envious all the books my college library sells really REALLY suck...

tgalati4
October 26th, 2009, 04:36 AM
+1 for Cosmos.

Warpnow
October 26th, 2009, 04:45 AM
The Goodwill near me had a boxed version of Suse 9 for $4. If it weren't so outdated I woulda bought it.