PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How will I upgrade to 9.10 final from RC?

BigG123
October 25th, 2009, 11:05 PM
If I install RC how will I upgrade to the final edition without reinstalling?

mick222
October 25th, 2009, 11:13 PM
should be no problem if you do a cleam install . If you upgrade from jaunty you won't get ext4 it will keep your ext3 filesystem and grub legacy.

ibutho
October 25th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Use the update manager or "apt-get dist-upgrade".

BigG123
October 25th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Use the update manager or "apt-get dist-upgrade".
Could I do that from 9.04 to 9.10 RC (current)?

mick222
October 25th, 2009, 11:49 PM
You could but as I said above it is advisable to do a clean install from te live cd as upgrading wont change your filesystem to the new ext4

coffeecat
October 25th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Could I do that from 9.04 to 9.10 RC (current)?

Yes. Open a terminal, and...

sudo apt-get updateOnce that's finished, do..

sudo update-manager -dThe update manager will open, but with a "New Distribution Release 9.10 is available" notice with an "Upgrade" button next to it. Click on the upgrade button and follow the prompts. Be warned - it's a hefty download. Mine was about 800MB with not that many extras apps installed. Once you've installed and rebooted, you're in version 9.10 with a slightly updated RC (if you do this today or tomorrow). If you keep it updated, by Thursday you'll have the final version. In fact you'll have the final version by Wednesday, or even a few hours before because of the necessary package freeze before the release of the final ISOs.

Be aware that your root partition filesystem will remain unchanged. If it's ext3 now, it will stay ext3. And legacy grub will stay as legacy grub booting up Karmic. It won't get upgraded to grub2 automatically. Which some might say is a good thing. :wink:

Good luck!

gnuisancev3
October 26th, 2009, 12:43 AM
I think everyone one here is confused. If you install the Karmic RC all you'll have to do is keep doing your regular updates and when the "Final" is released, you'll have it.

I installed the RC earlier this week specifically for this reason so i'd be the rush to grab it from the hammered servers.