PDA

View Full Version : The Pen is Mightier than the Sword!

coolbrook
October 25th, 2009, 08:26 PM
...but how does it match up to the pencil? When you're not typing away, are you writing mostly in ink or graphite?

hessiess
October 25th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Pencil, though I virtually never write by hand as my handwriting is unreadable.

Squonk07
October 25th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Definitely the pen. I'm somewhat of a connoisseur, having some exotic kinds and colors. My handwriting is atrocious, though, so nobody is very happy when they have to read something I've written. And, a year later, neither am I. ;)

Crunchy the Headcrab
October 25th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Definitely pen, but I like so many others have abominable handwriting. Type ftw.

amingv
October 25th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I chose "Pencil", though actually I use a combination of all.

When I write something I usually write the header with ink and the content with pencil. I also use chalk and dry-erase markers regularly as I often end up explaining some simple concepts to people who don't get math or physics (or even pseudocode) easily.

Ocasionally I may also use a stylus and some writing recognition device :).

cariboo
October 25th, 2009, 10:07 PM
I won't vote because the poll won't allow me to select more than one. I use a pen and dry erase about equally.

coolbrook
October 25th, 2009, 10:28 PM
I chose "Pencil", though actually I use a combination of all.

When I write something I usually write the header with ink and the content with pencil.

Same here.

Ocasionally I may also use a stylus and some writing recognition device :).

Ah yes. It brings me back to my PalmOS Graffiti days. :mrgreen:

red_Marvin
October 25th, 2009, 10:42 PM
I am gifted with the talent of making illegible scribbles with any tool that does not force a certain typeface.

yey
October 25th, 2009, 10:53 PM
I usually use the pen, however when I'm writing a paragraph or essay, I choose the pencil because of the eraser.

spupy
October 25th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I write with a fountain pen. One jar of ink and a brick of xerox/printer paper and I'm set for more than an year.

reacocard
October 26th, 2009, 12:44 AM
pencil. it lacks a good insert function and spell checking, but is an otherwise acceptable substitute for a word processor. pens lack a backspace. :(

EDIT: dry erase is also good, but the page layout options are really limiting.

samjh
October 26th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Depends, but usually a pen.

coolbrook
May 6th, 2010, 12:19 AM
OWWW my hand! I need an ergo pencil... Ergo a pencil! :mrgreen:

Lux Perpetua
May 6th, 2010, 01:08 AM
I always use a pen except for drawing. The best all-around pen I've ever used is the Pilot Precise Gel Roller (P-500 model, extra fine). It's simply unmatched in smoothness of line, and the color is pure jet black.

For mathematical notes and the like, I use fine-point felt-tip pens for colored annotations.

But I'm happy to see that other people here use fountain pens. I have yet to find a pen/ink combo that I really love, but here's one thing worth mentioning: Noodler's "Fox Red" ink on green-tinted paper is really awesome. It dries to a perfect blood red. It's strange, but it doesn't look nearly as good on white paper, and every other red ink just looks pathetic on green-tinted paper. Now if only I could find a fountain pen with a super-fine nib that doesn't skip...

Tibuda
May 6th, 2010, 01:11 AM
keyboard

Sidhiel
May 6th, 2010, 03:18 AM
I usually use a pen. Pencils can erase, but pen just look so much better...

standingwave
May 6th, 2010, 03:25 AM
Pen, specifically the Bic Z4 (http://penaddiction.blogspot.com/2007/12/review-bic-z4-porous-tip-10mm.html). I'm very particular about my cheapo pens.

Frogs Hair
May 6th, 2010, 04:07 AM
Pen, but, I'm taking math courses now, so the pencil is currently getting more use .

Ms_Angel_D
May 6th, 2010, 05:56 AM
I like erasable pen's they help hide my mistakes....lol

coolbrook
July 22nd, 2010, 04:48 AM
I forgot about those. I used ones called Erasermates (by Papermate or something like that.)

For the record, I picked up a Dr. Grip pen and mechanical pencil, both manufactured by Pilot and recommended for marathon writing and those with arthritis. They work like a charm. I felt pain when I had to revert to a standard pencil, so I think I have two new friends for life. A great gift or stocking stuffer.

Tigerclawz
November 21st, 2010, 05:02 PM
Pencils for the use of an eraser? Whatever happened to good ol' scribble-scribble-scribble-scribble-write-in-tiny-print-above-scibble? :P

Actually, now that I've finished high school, I do not own a single pen, pencil or otherwise and I use the notes function on my phone for any note-taking. If worse comes to worse, I prefer a nice blue pen.

Richard_T
November 21st, 2010, 05:25 PM
I liked this: I am gifted with the talent of making illegible scribbles with any tool that does not force a certain typeface. It sounds a bit like me :) I Hate writing by hand. And since the advent of the computer spell checker my spelling has gone down hill.

Simian Man
November 21st, 2010, 05:34 PM
I only really use mechanical pencils; they are awesome. Whenever I need to endorse a check or something, it's always a hassle finding a pen.

giddyup306
November 21st, 2010, 05:41 PM
Hammer and chisel.

TriBlox6432
November 21st, 2010, 06:17 PM
Pencil at school, so y'know I can erase and all.

Pen on my own stuff because I find gel pens to be much more pleasant than pencils to write with. Except when the ink runs out. -______-

RandomJoe
November 21st, 2010, 06:17 PM
I use a pen now. Used to be nothing but mechanical pencils, all through school, but got tired of breaking leads (I like Very Fine lines, 0.5 or 0.3 please) and lousy erasers.

Then I used some Pilot G-2 pens at work and I fell in love. Excellent pens for the price, and I now have a variety of colors. Prefer black for most writing, though. I have 05 and 07 models, still prefer the thin 05 lines, but the 07s sure do make for legible print, I just need to write bigger!

I still write quite a bit. My rather chaotic way of thinking when working on a problem is more conducive to scribbling all over a sheet of paper than typing or even sketching on a computer. Might be different if I could ever get a tablet with (what I consider) decent pen input. (At a decent price, too!)

Oxwivi
November 21st, 2010, 06:21 PM
I prefer a pencil because its easy to erase and rewrite. Not a fan of crossing out.

Old_Grey_Wolf
November 21st, 2010, 09:46 PM
I don't use handwriting very much these days since I have a mini notebook, phone, and computers at home and the office. I am a manager so quit a lot of the time I have to use indelible ink for legal reasons; therefore a pen is required. I am also in an engineering field. All engineers where I work have a dry erase board in their office or cubicle. Engineers constantly diagram concepts during discussions, and explaining things to the dumb managers (LOL). I rarely use a pencil, and never use chalk. I can't stand the feeling of chalk dust on my hands nor in my nose, except when I am holding a long stick knocking small balls around a table.