PDA

View Full Version : how we can help ubuntu

Shpongle
October 25th, 2009, 07:09 PM
its no secret that win 7 has been shoved down our throats in the media and by companies left right and center , they use bs to fill it up genuine this of course its gonna be genuine your buying it! in the shop . . ok anyway when karmic drops i say we (not preachingly) use the web and give it coverage like twitter facebook blogs youtube forums etc we will just be mentioning not preaching but its putting it out there and will create discussion and it'll be seen by people who will have otherwise probably never heard of ubuntu / linux . its a good way of giving back and the more users we get the greater chance of oem shipping and better hardware support (not that its not great already in most cases)

I for one will be using all means at my disposal to help spread the word , what do yous think? , any other ideas of how to help

Shpongle
October 25th, 2009, 07:27 PM
also we can ask our local free papers to cover it

AllRadioisDead
October 25th, 2009, 07:36 PM
I think you should let people use whatever operating system they choose. Trying to shove linux down peoples throats will make you no better than them. Windows is a great operating system, leave it alone. I use linux because I choose to, my neighbor should be able to use Windows because he chooses to, that's part of freedom.

sigurnjak
October 25th, 2009, 07:38 PM
If your neighbours do not know about Ubuntu they will not have anything to chose from .

Bachstelze
October 25th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I think you should let people use whatever operating system they choose. Trying to shove linux down peoples throats will make you no better than them. Windows is a great operating system, leave it alone. I use linux because I choose to, my neighbor should be able to use Windows because he chooses to, that's part of freedom.

Using Windows is not always a conscious and well-informed choice, though.

Shpongle
October 25th, 2009, 07:42 PM
If your neighbours do not know about Ubuntu they will not have anything to chose from .

exactly we wont be pushing anything just informing people of its existence! see ihermit i said no preaching that includes ramming it down peoples throats , but if the people are made aware then they have the choice to switch and if not then thats cool but they'll know the choice exists

vinutux
October 25th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Yes agreed..... awareness is much needed....that is #1 bug of ubuntu

Bölvağur
October 25th, 2009, 08:00 PM
hmmm, the best way you can help ubuntu is helping other users. Other users that need help are normally people that are new users that might be struggling to make the switch. If you cannot get those people over then you will just have bigger problem when there are more people coming over.

So browse your way to the absolute beginners subforum and start moving your post count into 4 digits.:guitar:

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 25th, 2009, 09:09 PM
If people have the literary skills to write good articles, then they could submit them to the local Newspapers. Of course the articles need to be factual, and not Linux fanaticism. Many editors and columnist will gladly publish well written articles if they can take credit for the content. Big businesses do it all the time; such as, Airlines, Convention Centers, Hotels, and Software companies. Many Newspapers also have an Internet version of the Newspaper available that reaches a wider audience because of search engines like Google.

Have you ever read an article on the front page of your local Newspaper and think SPAM! Well, yeah it is in a way. Hehe!

Edit: Personally, I don't what Linux to be very popular. I do not want the **AA's to get involved with their DRM and other obstacles to my freedom to use my computer the way I wish.

johnzollo
October 25th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Maybe there are 2 good question to be asked. We know Windows is an OK operating system (FUD and privacy issues aside). The questions are

1) Why didn't you try Ubuntu when you heard about it?

and

2) Why did you switch back?

I'd be curious what people said. I know that I had no problem trying Ubuntu, but I'm having problems getting it to work right. I haven't left, but maybe others did. I'm curious what the last straw was for them.

-John

coolbrook
October 25th, 2009, 09:20 PM
:arrow: Seed torrents.

I'll be seeding both i386 and AMD64 versions of the desktop software's Live and Alternate CD images.

Please share.

NCLI
October 25th, 2009, 10:45 PM
hmmm, the best way you can help ubuntu is helping other users. Other users that need help are normally people that are new users that might be struggling to make the switch. If you cannot get those people over then you will just have bigger problem when there are more people coming over.

So browse your way to the absolute beginners subforum and start moving your post count into 4 digits.:guitar:
This.

It will become even more important once Karmic is released, since the final slide in the new installer slideshow contains a link to www.ubuntuforums.org (http://www.ubuntuforums.org). Traffic will probably increase tremendously, especially in the Absolute Beginners' section. :cry:

Shpongle
October 26th, 2009, 12:23 AM
yea they're really good points il seed torrents too and help around here as much as i can!

Ms_Angel_D
October 26th, 2009, 12:36 AM
I agree Merely Mentioning it, is sometimes all it takes for somebody to become curious. We don't need to preach it, but it couldn't hurt to make a big deal about the release. Since Karmic is so close, what about aiming for making a big deal about the Next LTS?!?!?

mivo
October 26th, 2009, 12:58 AM
1) Why didn't you try Ubuntu when you heard about it?

Because of the hassle and the time investment. I had working Windows and FreeBSD boxes, so while I was curious, it took quite some time before I switched a computer over to Ubuntu.

2) Why did you switch back?

I switched one desktop back to Windows (now W7, very happy with it too) because I grew tired of endless issues with the motherboard (and after two years the bug report is still open), the fact that Ubuntu upgrades never worked flawlessly for me (reinstalling every six months gets old) and Cannonical's refusal to include more themes at install. My laptop still works happily with Ubuntu, and as it is less crucial for me, I don't mind the tweaking time it takes at times (it also works much better with Linux than it would with any Windows version).

I have another desktop that doubles as file server, which is also a Linux machine (Arch). Forth machine in my house is a netbook, which runs and keeps XP since hibernate, various LEDs and the mic do not work in Ubuntu/Linux (and I need those).

As for the OP: The best way to "sell" Ubuntu to people is by trying to convince Cannonical that offering a depressingly brown theme as the only choice loses many potential interests right there. I hand out many live CDs, and that is almost always the first comment I get. Now ShipIt is restricted, so less people will try Ununtu.

Other than that, step away from the "vs Windows" thing. It is not a war, and the whole "rebel against the establishment" approach becomes a bigger turn off the older you get (well, me anyway). Focus on all the great stuff Ubuntu and Linux offer without comparing. An OS needs to stand on its own feet, regardless of what anyone else does or offers. If you try to beat W7, you will lose out a the moment. It is faster, easier and requires less hand-holding. It also looks good.

matthew.ball
October 26th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Exactly, unfortunately, a fair majority of this forum doesn't understand this.

hoppipolla
October 26th, 2009, 01:47 AM
yeah this sounds like a plan, I think it would definitely help and the community is large enough to make a bit of noise! :)

Bölvağur
October 26th, 2009, 02:25 AM
please try to make as many people that are trying to come over be able to.

There are masses of people that are struggling to begin using Linux (in this instance ubuntu). Im guessing we have about 50% of new users being REALLY noob (from seeing people in real life) and about 40% arent able to find out how things work and/or their hardware isnt 100% compatable out of the box so they struggle and go back.

What we do not need is even more people like that. We need more informed users that will spread the word and become the local linux tech support for the family and friends.

You have to have foundations to build houses.

samh785
October 26th, 2009, 02:42 AM
I'm setting up the two other members of my household with an ubuntu computer. :D
That's the best way I can help for now besides helping others on the forum (that's a given).

@ mivo: Not all people dislike the brown theme (I like it a lot), but I agree that more choice needs to be offered from the get-go.

mivo
October 26th, 2009, 02:59 AM
@ mivo: Not all people dislike the brown theme (I like it a lot), but I agree that more choice needs to be offered from the get-go.

I use it too (well, on one machine, the laptop uses Xubuntu and its blue theme), but when I hand out Live CDs, or get people to look at Ubuntu (it isn't easy) the first negative comment is always about the earthen theme. First impressions are just very important. I never got why Canonical is so stubborn about not wanting to include some theme choices when you install the system or run the Live CD. Seems such an easy thing to do.

I actually got more positive feedback when I give people a SuSE CD or lately a Chakra (http://chakra-project.org/) CD. Ubuntu does, by far, have the most supportive community, so that is the distro I would like to introduce people to, but Canonical makes it hard (and now ShipIt is limited too).

Feels like an uphill battle at times.

samh785
October 26th, 2009, 05:05 AM
I use it too (well, on one machine, the laptop uses Xubuntu and its blue theme), but when I hand out Live CDs, or get people to look at Ubuntu (it isn't easy) the first negative comment is always about the earthen theme. First impressions are just very important. I never got why Canonical is so stubborn about not wanting to include some theme choices when you install the system or run the Live CD. Seems such an easy thing to do.

I actually got more positive feedback when I give people a SuSE CD or lately a Chakra (http://chakra-project.org/) CD. Ubuntu does, by far, have the most supportive community, so that is the distro I would like to introduce people to, but Canonical makes it hard (and now ShipIt is limited too).

Feels like an uphill battle at times.
I don't understand the stubbornness factor either. It would make sense to have at least a few basic and easy to switch theme changes available after install (or better yet- chosen before install :)). I think giving people with limited knowledge about the OS the ability to easily modify the way it looks right off of the bat would be the smart decision to make. After all, Ubuntu is for human beings- even for the somewhat technologically challenged ones :P.

Marco A
October 26th, 2009, 06:12 AM

Rainstride
October 26th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Are there any icons for websites?

Like buttons or countdowns things like that?

I would put one on my webpage.

Does anyone know of any?
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/countdown

DracoJesi
October 26th, 2009, 10:09 AM
I'm all for it...

true, if people didn't go spreading misinformation about Linux, if they actually knew what they were talking about.... and still wish to use Windows, that's there choice..... and I don't care if Linux ever completely drives out Windows....... but I would like to see better support for Linux, if Microsoft had to write all it's drivers, they'd probably have the same issues at times

I really do wish schools would use Linux though, that way they could focus more on education, and use things like Edubuntu to do it...

DracoJesi
October 26th, 2009, 10:20 AM
:arrow: Seed torrents.

I'll be seeding both i386 and AMD64 versions of the desktop software's Live and Alternate CD images.

Please share.

how are torrents going to helpwhen they can just go to Ubuntu's website?

I'm probably going to write some letters to the various schools around here about the benefits of open source....

I'll be posting into on facebook and wherever else I think to.....

and I'm actually working on a list of free and open source software alternatives... not just for Linux either..... but if I were a Windows user and found that this recommended software was just as good as expensive commercial software, I'd be more willing to free an open-source OS

Pasdar
October 26th, 2009, 10:43 AM
its no secret that win 7 has been shoved down our throats in the media and by companies left right and center , they use bs to fill it up genuine this of course its gonna be genuine your buying it! in the shop . . ok anyway when karmic drops i say we (not preachingly) use the web and give it coverage like twitter facebook blogs youtube forums etc we will just be mentioning not preaching but its putting it out there and will create discussion and it'll be seen by people who will have otherwise probably never heard of ubuntu / linux . its a good way of giving back and the more users we get the greater chance of oem shipping and better hardware support (not that its not great already in most cases)

I for one will be using all means at my disposal to help spread the word , what do yous think? , any other ideas of how to help
The economy in the west is busted and many people are broke or don't feel like spending money. Technological developments keep moving forward (or so they would like people to think), and people don't want to stay behind while they also don't want to spend so much money on a new OS. So letting people know there is a free alternative they could use that will do the same as win7 would be good.

coolbrook
October 26th, 2009, 12:04 PM
how are torrents going to helpwhen they can just go to Ubuntu's website?

The site will have links to torrent files. I'm sure the last thing they'll want is for prospective users to give up before trying because of ridiculously slow downloads. Those who know how to use/trust torrents should be relieving the server for the many more comfortable with a traditional download. The whole point is to share resources and deploy as efficiently as possible.

maflynn
October 26th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I switched one desktop back to Windows (now W7, very happy with it too) because I grew tired of endless issues with the motherboard (and after two years the bug report is still open), the fact that Ubuntu upgrades never worked flawlessly for me (reinstalling every six months gets old) and Cannonical's refusal to include more themes at install. My laptop still works happily with Ubuntu, and as it is less crucial for me, I don't mind the tweaking time it takes at times (it also works much better with Linux than it would with any Windows version).

This has been the biggest knock on Linux. The general perception is that many people will need to be in the CLI issuing commands/tweaking the system to get it to work. My experience with Ubuntu confirms this. The amount of work to get my MBP running was such that few typical consumers would be willing to try it.

No amount of "preaching" is going to over the the problem if working to get ubuntu running vs. putting the win7/snowleopard in the disk and hit next a few times to get the OS.

Now before I get flamed, I do want to say that Ubuntu has made great strides to be a more consumer friendly distro. I've been playing with fedora 11 and I like that very much but its taken a ton more work to get it to work, clearly not a distro your want your aunt mae to load. I'm not knocking fedora 11 because its a more cutting edge distro. So Ubuntu has made life easier for people, but it is not as easy to install/configure as windows 7/OSX Why should people install Ubuntu on their computer when the OS that comes with their computer works to their satisfaction. That's the battle Linux has to fight and continue to fight.

johnzollo
October 26th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I switched one desktop back to Windows (now W7, very happy with it too) because I grew tired of endless issues with the motherboard (and after two years the bug report is still open), the fact that Ubuntu upgrades never worked flawlessly for me (reinstalling every six months gets old) and Cannonical's refusal to include more themes at install.

UGGGHHHH!!!! THAT DRIVES ME CRAZY THAT THE BUG REPORT IS STILLL OPEN!!!! PLEASE CANONICAL -- for the LTS let's try and fix all the bugs AND NOT add too many features (that will cause new bugs!).

Forth machine in my house is a netbook, which runs and keeps XP since hibernate, various LEDs and the mic do not work in Ubuntu/Linux (and I need those).

HELLO!?!?!?! We need to fix these!

As for the OP: The best way to "sell" Ubuntu to people is by trying to convince Cannonical that offering a depressingly brown theme as the only choice loses many potential interests right there. I hand out many live CDs, and that is almost always the first comment I get. Now ShipIt is restricted, so less people will try Ununtu.

Hmmmm.. I checked out the LiveCD of Karmic and the appearance "themes" are awesome. There's a grey one (I forgot the name of it) -- it's incredible! Seriously check it out!

Other than that, step away from the "vs Windows" thing. It is not a war, and the whole "rebel against the establishment" approach becomes a bigger turn off the older you get (well, me anyway). Focus on all the great stuff Ubuntu and Linux offer without comparing. An OS needs to stand on its own feet, regardless of what anyone else does or offers. If you try to beat W7, you will lose out a the moment. It is faster, easier and requires less hand-holding. It also looks good.

And they also put security holes in my Firefox (http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9139459/Sneaky_Microsoft_plug_in_puts_Firefox_users_at_ris k) and refuse to patch supported releases (http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9138007/Microsoft_No_TCP_IP_patches_for_you_XP). Windows is a great operating system, but a) I don't want to support a company whose practices I don't believe in and b) $240 is A LOT for an operating system.

I'll stick with Linux.

-John

DracoJesi
October 28th, 2009, 04:35 AM
The site will have links to torrent files. I'm sure the last thing they'll want is for prospective users to give up before trying because of ridiculously slow downloads. Those who know how to use/trust torrents should be relieving the server for the many more comfortable with a traditional download. The whole point is to share resources and deploy as efficiently as possible.

I gues I'll be using a torrent then :)

I helped a friend of mine switch to Ubuntu a while back, we had a few Compiz issues but he's very happy with it now :)

Groucho Marxist
October 28th, 2009, 04:50 AM
also we can ask our local free papers to cover it

I took that concept one step further; I wrote a guest opinion article* for my college newspaper which, according to an e-mail I received tonight, will published in the Friday paper. :)

*(author's note: it was a non-threatening article which explained my past computer habits, why I chose Linux and what Ubuntu can do for you)

Frak
October 28th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Telling utter lies to people to get them to use something isn't a morally good decision either.