PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with boot menu, uninstalling ubuntu

yofonta
October 25th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Hey there, i ve been using ubuntu for a little while now and a problem came along from the first day.

I installed ubuntu for the first time doing a partition appart from my XP one and installed ubuntu on a new partition. The problem was that during the instalation, it turned out that the CD was not well burned and it resulted on a failed attempt...when i reseted to try again i noticed that there was in fact an ubuntu installed (though not well installed) shown on the boot menu apart from my windows xp. That ubuntu didnt work obviously.
What i did was to format the ubuntu partition and try to reinstall....when i reseted, there was no ubuntu, but the boot menu still loaded ant tried to look for the unexisting ubuntu...

So i reinstalled a new good version of ubuntu, that is working fine, but now i have two ubuntu's on the boot menu, appart from mi XP...

I would like to remove both ubuntus now and get rid of the boot menu so it loads directly into windows XP, how do i do that?

Thatnks in advance.

GGTutor
October 25th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Hey, I should say first that I am a complete beginner, but while I was waiting for a reply to my post i thought I could help you.

You say you have two ubuntus, are you sure it is not a choice of different kernels for the same installation?

Second if you want to go back to windows, you can delete the partition that ubuntu is on using windows or the live cd of ubuntu. Then using your windows master cd you have to restore the Master Boot Record to remove the ubuntu option. There is some info here:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux-newbie/32665-way-restore-mbr.html

as I say I am new to this so maybe someone else has better advice.

cheers