PDA

View Full Version : [other] Firefox

Aled Owen
October 25th, 2009, 03:25 PM
I tried installing Vector Linux as I was recommended it by saulgoode, however it's too hard for me to install so I'm going to try out Ubuntu.

Last time I installed Ubuntu I tried upgrading Mozilla Firefox to the latest version (3 at the time) and it refused to allow me, so I was stuck with Firefox 2. Will the latest version I'm currently downloading allow me to upgrade to the latest version when a new one comes out?

Sorry I'm quite a Linux noob, I don't really delve into the minor details of it, just really use it for the main stuff.

zvacet
October 25th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Will the latest version I'm currently downloading allow me to upgrade to the latest version when a new one comes out?

Probably not,because Ubuntu get late but stable versions of software.In that policy you will not get latest version of all packages but you will have stable one.There is methods to upgrade packages like Firefox.In short there is not much trouble to update Firefox if you want to.

aysiu
October 25th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Ubuntu is designed to freeze software versions, so you generally don't get the newest version of Firefox until the next release of Ubuntu (six months later).

There are workarounds, however:
http://www.psychcoats.net/ubuntu/firefox