PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing from USB - possible?

zozza
October 25th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I downloaded the 9.04 .iso file then used Unetbootin to extract it to a blank USB.

On start up the boot menu is 1) USB 2) CD 3) hard drive.

The computer loads XP normally. This has happened before with a different USB that should have booted. I have tried multiple times.

I have no problems booting from CDs.

I am using a Eee PC under XP Home Edition SP3. The USB works perfectly under Windows; it just refuses to boot on start-up.

I have read in the forums that XP does not boot from USBs and trying is an "excerise in futility". Does this sound right and should I just use the CD?

I simply want to know why the CD will work but the USB does not. Is it me or XP?

Any suggestions? Thanks.

zvacet
October 25th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick)

zozza
October 25th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I had read that article and I followed the Windows version of what it suggests.

zvacet
October 26th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Why didnīt follow recommended way of doing that?

hogu
October 26th, 2009, 04:03 AM
booting from usb is a bios thing, you're going to need to go into your bios and change the boot order, have you done that yet?

stonehjl
October 26th, 2009, 04:21 AM
I downloaded the 9.04 .iso file then used Unetbootin to extract it to a blank USB.

On start up the boot menu is 1) USB 2) CD 3) hard drive.

The computer loads XP normally. This has happened before with a different USB that should have booted. I have tried multiple times.

I have no problems booting from CDs.

I am using a Eee PC under XP Home Edition SP3. The USB works perfectly under Windows; it just refuses to boot on start-up.

I have read in the forums that XP does not boot from USBs and trying is an "excerise in futility". Does this sound right and should I just use the CD?

I simply want to know why the CD will work but the USB does not. Is it me or XP?

Any suggestions? Thanks.

It's possible.I am use USB installing now!You need somesoft burn ubuntu.iso to USBStick as cdrom type,and reboot from cdrom.