PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Firefox reports itself as mozilla?

1clue
October 25th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Hi,

I've found a few sites that insist on "the latest version of firefox" when I'm actually using the latest version of firefox. They want firefox 3.5, I have 3.5.3. Only when the web page queries my browser, I get this:

Sorry but the browser you are using, Mozilla Version 1.9.1.3, is currently not supported by this product.

In order to access this product, you must use the latest version of Internet Explorer or Firefox. Thank You.

Is there some way I can convince Firefox to advertise with "Firefox 3.5.3" instead of "Mozilla?"

BTW, I don't need a history lesson. I know what Mozilla is, I know about the Open Source project. I just want to make my browser work.

Thanks.

kixome
October 25th, 2009, 07:55 AM
what OS are you using it on, and also what page?

kixome
October 25th, 2009, 08:02 AM
wrong post. sorry

coffeecat
October 25th, 2009, 10:28 AM
when the web page queries my browser, I get this:

Sorry but the browser you are using, Mozilla Version 1.9.1.3, is currently not supported by this product.

In order to access this product, you must use the latest version of Internet Explorer or Firefox. Thank You. Is there some way I can convince Firefox to advertise with "Firefox 3.5.3" instead of "Mozilla?"

It sounds as though you might be using Karmic, because when I go to Help > About Mozilla Firefox in Karmic's FF, I get:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-GB; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20091020 Ubuntu/9.10 (karmic) Firefox/3.5.3Which is obviously where the Mozilla 1.9.1.3 is coming from. But interestingly, with my MacOS (Snow Leopard) Firefox, I get:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-GB; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3So it sounds as though Firefox 3.5.3 may advertise itself as Mozilla 1.9.1.3 whatever the OS. Which suggests that the problem is with the websites you are having problems with.

Suggest you email the webmasters of the offending websites and tell them they've got a coding problem. In the meantime, please post links so that people using other OSs can try them for you.

lovinglinux
October 25th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Install User Agent Switcher (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59) extension and change the engine as needed.