PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 RC wont install

peterx2
October 25th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Using elite group 945GCT-M board with Celeron 450. @ 2.2gz
Also using Seagate 7200 series SATA

9.10 RC cant partition, cant install.(32b or 64b) 9.10 64b live crashes when menu selected.

9.04 64b installs ok.. (suggests kernel problem with 9.10)
Mint 7 64b installs ok
Fedora 12 live runs, havent tried install yet.

Any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.
pete

wilee-nilee
October 25th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Did you check the download and burn md5 sum. If it is crashing just trying to access a menu then I think if you have a good burn that others will give you the info you need.

poltiser
October 25th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Did you check the download and burn md5 sum. If it is crashing just trying to access a menu then I think if you have a good burn that others will give you the info you need.

On many different occasions it did not install - I installed 9.04 than I upgraded - it looks nice but:
1. SongBird stopped working (does not load)
2. after recent update I lost microphone (working before with skype)
I wonder what next...
and it happened after recent updates

wilee-nilee
October 25th, 2009, 07:03 AM
On many different occasions it did not install - I installed 9.04 than I upgraded - it looks nice but:
I wonder what next...
and it happened after recent updates

Glad you have 9.10 installed the other problems are with applications I never use, start a new thread and somebody will probably have some answers for you. Or search Google and the forums

cariboo
October 25th, 2009, 07:03 AM

Songbird isn't supported, so you will probably have to reinstall it.

Does it work with anything else?

As far as what else will happen, there are still plenty of bug fixes to come before the final release on Thursday.

peterx2
October 25th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Using elite group 945GCT-M board with Celeron 450. @ 2.2gz
Also using Seagate 7200 series SATA

9.10 RC cant partition, cant install.(32b or 64b) 9.10 64b live crashes when menu selected.

9.04 64b installs ok.. (suggests kernel problem with 9.10)
Mint 7 64b installs ok
Fedora 12 live runs, havent tried install yet.

Any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.
pete

Fedora simply says no media available..wont install.
I have done all of the simple things like try to install on an Ide which works.. Sata doesnt because of automatic raid (i think)

Topsiho
October 25th, 2009, 05:07 PM
How's your hard disk? Is it healthy?

A new feature of Karmic is that it checks your hard disk before installing Karmic. Which is great.

When using your LiveCD, it gives a warning when the disk is not OK. The new utility that does this is called palimpsest, so you may google this :) Another name is gnome-disk-utility.

Topsiho

peterx2
October 26th, 2009, 02:41 AM
How's your hard disk? Is it healthy?

A new feature of Karmic is that it checks your hard disk before installing Karmic. Which is great.

When using your LiveCD, it gives a warning when the disk is not OK. The new utility that does this is called palimpsest, so you may google this :) Another name is gnome-disk-utility.

Topsiho
It is not the disk, Seatools checks it out, and the palimpsest program says it is ok.. (this reports SMART data, and is a nice addition) I am hanging my hat on gparted which also doesnt work on this drive. google "gparted SATA" gets a lot of comment on the problem. Evidently it is related to RAID software, which if it worked would be very nice.. I wound up reinstalling Mint 7 64bit, which installs smoothly. Once Mint is installed, gparted reports it correctly, but will not partition it. This should be fixable from a bios setting, but none was provided for this board. I have a number of other boxes, all 32 bit types, and they seem to be more reliable. (my main system remains Ubuntu however)
thanks.. pete