PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 32-Bit or 64-Bit Ubuntu 8.04 or 9.04 HELP

FireStorm102389
October 25th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Ok, i don't know which ubuntu i had installed but whatever it was i was having problems with the graphics stuff...my Computer Specs are in my signature (Thats what i have running)

I am trying to figure out if I should use Ubuntu 8.04 (32-Bit or 64-Bit) OR Ubuntu 9.04 (32-Bit or 64-Bit)
I would really much appreciate the help...

I would also like to know as far as stability, the main issue is with my ATI graphics card as far as videos go since my screen keeps flickering and it slows my comp down really bad...but when i switch from metacity to compiz in the compiz fusion settings the screen starts to flicker aswell, i don't know if its a 32-bit or 64-bit problem or a 8.04 verse 9.04 ubuntu issue with the graphics card, or its just some programs or drivers that are off...onl reason im asking is because my comp crashed a couple times, huge mass or fatal errors causing my comp to restart, IM A NEWBIE, and it kept trying to load up what looked like a terminal log in and i don't know what im doing with that, so im on the live CD right now trying to figure things out, so first i would love if some1 could tell me what type of ubuntu I should go for, then ill have to see if that fixed the flickering problem, ill see if i take it one step at a time :D

thank you every1 that helps!

rockstarrem
October 25th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Are you asking to go with either 32 bit or 64 bit? Judging by your specs, I'd say go for 64 bit. It will be a little harder to configure some things (like Flash), but it's worth it.

FireStorm102389
October 25th, 2009, 05:05 AM
ok, and what about the version 8.04 or 9.04? which would be best? and as far as application compatibility between the 2 versions?

Jekshadow
October 25th, 2009, 06:00 AM
You might just want to wait until 10/29/09. Then you can get the released version of 9.10. But definitely go with 64-bit. There are a few problems with flash, but it runs much faster.

barbz127
October 25th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Sorry to butt in here but does the 64 bit version run 32 bit programs properly like say windows does or does it only run 64bit programs?

Is flash the only known problem? could you post a link to the fix?

Cheers
Paul

FireStorm102389
October 26th, 2009, 06:49 PM
well, i have the 64-bit and i haven't had any problems with flash, but now that i mention it i will prolly jynx myself...but so far so good...and you must get 64bit apps as far as im aware of