PDA

View Full Version : Why only Ubuntu forum rocks?

sbasak
February 15th, 2006, 02:23 PM
It may appear a silly question....:-k

Recently I've tested a few distros namely Ubuntu, Knoppix, SuSE, Mandriva, Puppy Linux etc.

But I found that only Ubuntu forum is really useful..... most other forums simply suck.... you put a question, wait for an answer forever (if you get at all)....

So, what's there in Ubuntu forum???

PS: I've even got many non Ubuntu Linux answer from this forum...

It may happen that since this forum is so active, all people put questions just here..... \\:D/

cosborn72
February 15th, 2006, 02:40 PM
I actually found useful information on this forum back when I was using a different distro. I would google a general technical question, and I would be brought to a post here. Since I was looking for general linux info, I almost always found the answer here.

abs
February 15th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Its a fab place, I just hope its sheer number of posts does not make finding things hard in the future, like when we have 1,000,000 members ;) and 4,000,00 posts

that will be the day, I would say by 2008

stimpack
February 15th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Gentoo forums are good too.

earobinson
February 15th, 2006, 03:47 PM
lots of reasons.
1) large user base
2) the staff aim to keep the community as open and friendly as they can and do a very good job
3) we have a lot of very good high posters
4) there are people dedicated on this forum to finding out what issues are not getting supported and supporting them.
5) the spirt of the ubuntu os
6) our great users!

neoflight
February 15th, 2006, 03:51 PM
I guess even the most geeks from other distro forums try to solve their own linux issues; let alone helping the newbies.....:mrgreen:

what i feel is that in the beginning, the forum leaders were helpful in promoting ubuntu and that legacy carried along....its simply a trend and that rocks...

eMuNiX
February 15th, 2006, 03:54 PM
I still post on the SuSE forums, they are a good bunch and I still post there even though I no longer use SuSE. The Vidalinux forums are quite good too, but I don’t post there any more, I lost too many weekends compiling stuff to make using any Gentoo based distro any fun.

wrtrdood
February 15th, 2006, 04:03 PM
It's all about what Ubuntu means and the community behind it proves it. I think that's really at the heart of the difference. There are users here from the freshest noobs to OFs like me and we all believe that information should be as free as the software. It's more than just freedom. It's also about the mindshare. I understand what you mean about other forums and I've had similar experiences. There's a few project specific forums that might rival this place but nothing when it comes to the distribution itself.

Those willing to hang around, ask more questions, and make a genuine effort to learn something about GNU/Linux become an extremely valuable part with their contributions to this community. What I've seen here is a greater desire -- often in the newbies -- to give back as much as they get. That's the entire spirit of the GPL. You just don't seem to find that elsewhere. Why? I'm not entirely sure but I'm glad we have it.

Personally, I'd like nothing better than for nine out of ten Google searches for solutions to provide links to this place. There is indeed a wealth of information here and nearly all of it can be applied to any GNU/Linux distro. What better way to draw even more to the best distribution available? :)

Robgould
February 15th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Fedora forums are very good. Of all the distros that I have tried I like Fedora and Ubuntu the best. A big part of the reason is that they both have wonderful support forums.

In a lot of ways the fedora forum is better even. It is very well maintained. There is a nice home page with announcements and the like. They have links to a weekly fedora newsletter with lots of info. They have a "random shots" section that rotates images of peoples desktops every time the form refreshes or loads.

Check it out.

http://www.fedoraforum.org/?

LordBug
February 15th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Gentoo forums are good too.
Agreed. They have some very good response times for Gentoo issues.

ubuntu-geek
February 15th, 2006, 05:13 PM
One of the things that has always made these forums rock since the start is the user community. The ones you who come here and help and post daily to try to make the user experience better. :) So kudo's to you all.

Master Shake
February 15th, 2006, 05:21 PM
IMHO, I think the fact that this forum does not tolerate telling someone to "RTFM" or "GOOGLE IT" makes this forum rock even more.

Brunellus
February 15th, 2006, 05:32 PM
IMHO, I think the fact that this forum does not tolerate telling someone to "RTFM" or "GOOGLE IT" makes this forum rock even more.
We do actually tell people to rtfm, but we do it in a polite and constructive way.

mips
February 15th, 2006, 06:14 PM

I just wish people would use the search facility a bit more as the questions have usually been answered already.

briancurtin
February 15th, 2006, 08:23 PM
i stick around for this forum, the community forum, because i like this. i dont use ubuntu now but i do browse the other support forums and jump in when i know how to help. the arch forums are great for questions, but dont move as fast as these ones.

sapo
February 15th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Talking about it.. i dont remember seeing any of these phrases in this forum.. and i just noticed it cause you mentioned them.

Bandit
February 15th, 2006, 09:02 PM
I post also on the SuSE forums, got lots of freinds over there. Lately has been kinda slow tho. I will admit that..
I also post over at the other Kubuntu forum.

This forum rocks becuase the distro rocks...
Thats just about somes its up. :KS

Cheers,
Joey

mips
February 15th, 2006, 09:55 PM
I also post over at the other Kubuntu forum.

The Kubuntu forum seems a bit slow if I could call it that.

I would like to know how many people use Ubuntu vs Kubuntu ?

majikstreet
February 15th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Fedora forums are very good. Of all the distros that I have tried I like Fedora and Ubuntu the best. A big part of the reason is that they both have wonderful support forums.

In a lot of ways the fedora forum is better even. It is very well maintained. There is a nice home page with announcements and the like. They have links to a weekly fedora newsletter with lots of info. They have a "random shots" section that rotates images of peoples desktops every time the form refreshes or loads.

Check it out.

http://www.fedoraforum.org/?
IMO, fedoraforums are nice, but I remember hearing something about some BitchX contreversy that made them seem a lot worse..

ubuntuforums is made great by people like ubuntu-geek, azz, asiyu, kassetra, bored2k, and the rest of the moderating/admining crew! :D thanks you guys.

xequence
February 15th, 2006, 10:09 PM
EDIT: Nevermind, that was just odd.

Robgould
February 16th, 2006, 02:41 AM
I never heard of this BitchX or the controversy surrounding her. I must investigate.

majikstreet
February 16th, 2006, 10:17 PM
I never heard of this BitchX or the controversy surrounding her. I must investigate.
BitchX is a command line IRC client, btw.