PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] New build, installer stops at 5%"Partitions Formatting"

george-palmer
October 25th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Hello,

I'm having some issues with a brand new system. The installer freezes up at 5% "Partitions Formatting" every time. I tried using the partition manager on the live cd and that also froze. I've also tried two brand new hard drives. The system spec is as follow.

XFX 750i mobo
4GB (2x2G) OCZ Gold DDR2 800mhz 5-5-5-18
OCZ GameXStream 850W power supply
1TB and 250GB SATA HDs
2x GeForce 7600GT Graphics cards

It's also worth noting I've tried ubuntu version 9.4, 8.10, 8.4 and kubuntu 9.4. Same issues with all.
I tried instaling Windows XP Pro (shudder) just to get it working and got a blue screen of death. The error message relates to incorrect drivers.

The system seems rather unstable too, although i did a memtest and it shot through with no errors.

I'm really stuck now. I need the computer working for Monday as it's my work machine (old one packed up on Friday). I can be a real noob at times so please go easy on me/

Any help would be really great.

Best Regards, George

george-palmer
October 25th, 2009, 03:36 AM
I got it to work but now i'm even more confused. I removed one of the ram modules and also changed the mother board jumper to overclock mode (i know one thing at a time). It worked, but i'm not sure what the problem is now. The most logical explanation is the memory, but then again it did pass memtest. Could the overclock mode have anything to do with it? How can i trace the problem now?

Best Regards, George