PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Moving From Windows: Harddrive Question

slyrDVS
October 25th, 2009, 12:17 AM
I have 2 sata drives, I plan to make the primary Ubuntu 9.04 AMD64 and pull my old files from the slave (which will still be NTFS formatted.)

Is this possible?

howefield
October 25th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Yep, completely possible.

During the install process, you will have the opportunity to state how you want the partitioning of your disk done, you can use the whole disk or preferably create a seperate partition for your home directory.

Either way, have a look at the video tutorials here.

screencasts.ubuntu.com

Scroll down the page to the more relevant videos, eg "Ubuntu Partitioning" & "Ubuntu Live Installer Boot Screen"

slyrDVS
October 25th, 2009, 12:35 AM
I have installed Ubuntu once before, but never tried to pull files from one drive to the Ubuntu drive. And seeing as VirtualBox is becoming a great option to allow me to play Steam Games, Run CS4, and the such. Im most likely going to make the move to Ubuntu.

Secondly, Is VirtualBox better than Wine?

Edit:
I'll have 2 drives
1st - Ubuntu
2nd - Windows backup drive

I want to pull the files from the backup drive, format it, and put the files back on it for usuage with VirtualBox

howefield
October 25th, 2009, 01:02 AM
Secondly, Is VirtualBox better than Wine?

Both are great and both have their place. But it's comparing apples to oranges. You may well run the two for different reasons.

Good luck in your move to Ubuntu, but remember you can dual boot and keep windows with Ubuntu on the same disk.

Either way, keeping your second disk as NTFS is a good idea because both operating systems will easily read files from it.

slyrDVS
October 25th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Thank you, but I believe moving to Ubuntu and moving windows to VirtualBox will be a far better experience than dual booting as it'll save time.

One final question: Does the microphone work in VirtualBox? For steam games, skype, and msn?

howefield
October 25th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Hard to say for sure, it seems to work for some and others have trouble.,

If you did have problems, skype and a compatible instant messenger with voice support in linux would be available.

Suppose that is why I suggested dual booting, as an interim measure till you knew for sure you were happy and everything worked :)

slyrDVS
October 25th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Hmmm, good idea. I'll hope for the best when i switch over, I'll wait till 9.10 realeases. =}
Thank you for all your help.