PDA

View Full Version : Im thinking of trying OpenSolaris

lightningfox
October 24th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Hello

I'm thinking of trying OpenSolaris in my desktop.

I want to ask some questions about OpenSolaris.

1. How is OpenSolaris's hardware support compared to Linux's.?

2. Does OpenSolaris support all of the audio and video formats that
Linux supports?
Also, does OpenSolaris support all the browser plugins that Linux supports.

3. How is KDE on OpenSolaris.
Will KDE 4.3 run on OpenSolaris?

OpenGuard
October 24th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Yes ( good hardware support ) to everything except KDE .. I simply don't know :)

Bachstelze
October 24th, 2009, 11:34 PM
1. How is OpenSolaris's hardware support compared to Linux's.?

Inferior, but not by a very wide margin for common hardware. Remember that it has a Live CD you can try to see if your hardware is supported.

2. Does OpenSolaris support all of the audio and video formats that
Linux supports?
Also, does OpenSolaris support all the browser plugins that Linux supports.

Yes. Those things are OS-independent (except maybe for Flash).

unknownPoster
October 24th, 2009, 11:49 PM
I personally found it to be a memory hog, and it's repositories are quite small when compared to some of the more popular Linux distributions out there.

Hosmion
October 24th, 2009, 11:51 PM
This is kind of off topic, but where exactly do I download Solaris? I looked it up in Google, with no help...

EDIT::

Ok, THANKS!

Bachstelze
October 24th, 2009, 11:56 PM
If you want OpenSolaris:

http://opensolaris.org/os/downloads/

Solaris:

http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp

lightningfox
October 25th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Thank you for your answers.

Can OpenSolaris run Linux programs?

And how is the OpenSolaris version of Wine compared to the Linux
version?

Also, can the latest version of KDE run on OpenSolaris?

dragos240
October 25th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Thank you for your answers.

Can OpenSolaris run Linux programs?

And how is the OpenSolaris version of Wine compared to the Linux
version?

Also, can the latest version of KDE run on OpenSolaris?

OpenSolaris is not linux. It cannot run linux programs. Wine works fine. I would assume KDE runs fine as well.

Jimleko211
October 25th, 2009, 12:25 AM
OpenSolaris is not linux. It cannot run linux programs. Wine works fine. I would assume KDE runs fine as well.
To be fair, BSD isn't linux either but it can run linux programs via the linux compatibility layer, which is nearly flawless.

dragos240
October 25th, 2009, 12:26 AM
I have heard about that. Although. I have only heard of it being run on BSD flavors.

Regenweald
October 25th, 2009, 12:27 AM

What exactly do you mean by linux programs ? because it runs the Gnome userland, open office, songbird etc. among *many* others quite well. With KDE soon to join it's ranks.

cguy
October 25th, 2009, 12:28 AM
I heard it's slow compared to Linux.

dragos240
October 25th, 2009, 12:30 AM
What exactly do you mean by linux programs ? because it runs the Gnome userland, open office, songbird etc. among *many* others quite well.

Well. Those are programs that can be compiled on opensolaris. What I mean by linux programs, are Linux binary programs. The binaries are different than that of those running under opensolaris.

Regenweald
October 25th, 2009, 12:36 AM
I heard it's slow compared to Linux.

In my experience it's not. Much like the average linux distro, opensolaris is uber-server tech wrapped up in desktop. It's simply a matter of turning off un-needed services much like I do in Ubuntu.

Well. Those are programs that can be compiled on opensolaris. What I mean by linux programs, are Linux binary programs. The binaries are different than that of those running under opensolaris.

I'm still missing you, since all mentioned are repository installed and the fundamental concept of packaging software is compiling FOSS source code for your particular distro :)

dragos240
October 25th, 2009, 12:46 AM
In my experience it's not. Much like the average linux distro, opensolaris is uber-server tech wrapped up in desktop. It's simply a matter of turning off un-needed services much like I do in Ubuntu.

I'm still missing you, since all mentioned are repository installed and the fundamental concept of packaging software is compiling FOSS source code for your particular distro :)

What i'm trying to say is that all of the programs you mentioned can be compiled on Linux and on Opensolaris. The output of the build is just different. The original question by the OP was "Can opensolaris run Linux programs?" I replied no. Since Linux programs are for linux. All of the programs you mentioned come with source, that can be compiled. But pre-compiled binaries compiled under Linux (or linux programs), can ONLY be used under linux.

Regenweald
October 25th, 2009, 01:24 AM
What i'm trying to say is that all of the programs you mentioned can be compiled on Linux and on Opensolaris. The output of the build is just different. The original question by the OP was "Can opensolaris run Linux programs?" I replied no. Since Linux programs are for linux. All of the programs you mentioned come with source, that can be compiled. But pre-compiled binaries compiled under Linux (or linux programs), can ONLY be used under linux.

In this regard, with reference to the OP, i get you.

lightningfox
October 25th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Hello

Thank you for your replies.

I found out that OpenSolaris can run binary Linux programs.
Here is a link to a webpage about it:
http://opensolaris.org/os/community/brandz/

Pasdar
October 25th, 2009, 11:16 AM
If its as 'good' as open office, then I don't want to ever try.