PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] BattleField 2 installation Help

titianone
October 24th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Hello, I am fairly new to ubuntu. Of course i like it. my lovely copy of windows xp home is garbage. i have reformatted numerous times. So i switched to ubuntu. Anyway So i know i have to install wine, and i got battlefield 2 to install. Now, i have the complete collection pack, so i only have one DVD cd. So, it installs fine though wine. i go to launch the program, goes to the loading screen, then crashes to desktop.. Please help

Thanks
Brian

Mark Phelps
October 26th, 2009, 05:12 AM
If you're going to use Wine, you need to become familiar with the CodeWeavers Application Compatibility site.

Link below is to the page on Battlefield 2 -- with some test results that might answer your questions:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=2424

Jim_in_Omaha
November 10th, 2009, 03:26 PM
For what its worth. At this current moment I have BF2 running in the latest Wine 1.1.32 with 9.10 and punkbuster is working.

What I did was follow the latest info in the Appdatabase in winehq.org to get it to work with minimal graphic anomalies, then to get Punkbuster to work I copied the pb folder from the demo of BF2 in wine to the fully installed 1.50 version of the BF2 after renaming it's pb folder to pb.old

I'll keep testing this, also it is true if you set your video driver control panel to override the applications antialiasing settings and set it to 2x or more it clears up a considerable amount of graphics issues.

There is new activity in the winehq database for this game since 9.10 and 1.1.32

update: I did get one server to boot me after about 5 minutes... I'll keep messing with it.

Jim_in_Omaha
November 11th, 2009, 03:55 AM
From what I can tell, the full version is still having issues with the punkbuster. The demo seems to work in multiplayer fairly well. I have not been kicked yet on the demo multiplayer.

asg31
December 4th, 2009, 07:58 PM
BUMP.

why dont u install punkbuster?
http://websec.evenbalance.com/downloader/download.php?file=4

Jim_in_Omaha
December 5th, 2009, 06:41 AM
I tried both that and the linux version to no avail.....