PDA

View Full Version : need a tip about applying for a job

infestor
October 24th, 2009, 05:59 PM
here is the dilemma:

i hold a BSc degree and currently studying for a MSc degree. so should i put down to my CV that i currently study for a MSc while i am applying for a full-time job requires a bachelor degree?

cguy
October 24th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Do you have any relevant experience to write down in your CV?

Is your CV almost empty? (mine was) If so, add the MSc as a filler :)

beercz
October 24th, 2009, 11:13 PM
here is the dilemma:

i hold a BSc degree and currently studying for a MSc degree. so should i put down to my CV that i currently study for a MSc while i am applying for a full-time job requires a bachelor degree?
Yes

stinger30au
October 25th, 2009, 12:00 AM
here is the dilemma:

the thing you need to ask yourself is,

does the employer really need to know this information??

if not

then dont write it down

only write in the resume what they ask for

Paqman
October 25th, 2009, 01:09 AM
the thing you need to ask yourself is,

does the employer really need to know this information??

While I tend to agree that shorter is better for CVs, I can't think of any employer who wouldn't think that pursuing further qualifications in a relevant field is a selling point.

infestor
October 25th, 2009, 01:51 AM
While I tend to agree that shorter is better for CVs, I can't think of any employer who wouldn't think that pursuing further qualifications in a relevant field is a selling point.

well that's the point where i exactly get confused...:
i still study for a MSc, didnt work as an engineer before (so no real engineering experience in company domain except my BSc thesis)...if you were the employer (or the human resources guy)...you look at it, a student looking for fulltime job and no experience...or would you like an unemployed BSc guy looking for a job (with no company experience)...dont know which one is less desperate...

(also...my CV is 1 page long, with the MSc study written on...)

Paqman
October 25th, 2009, 04:46 PM
well that's the point where i exactly get confused...:
i still study for a MSc, didnt work as an engineer before (so no real engineering experience in company domain except my BSc thesis)...if you were the employer (or the human resources guy)...you look at it, a student looking for fulltime job and no experience...or would you like an unemployed BSc guy looking for a job (with no company experience)...dont know which one is less desperate...

Well, the crucial factor is that you've got no experience. So you'll only be able to apply for a job where that isn't going to be an issue.

So once your CV is sitting on the desk of someone who's willing to take on a trainee, which do you think looks better: BSc, or BSc + MSc in progress? If I was an employer and I had to choose, i'd interview the guy studying for the MSc.

infestor
October 26th, 2009, 12:24 PM
thanks guys...i will keep "MSc student" written on my CV...hope works at some point :|