PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Acer BIOS failure following unsuccessful install

theheed
October 24th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Downloaded the latest build to install on an Acer Travelmate. I followed the screen prompt then 30 seconds later, the screen dies, well fades out. So I reboot and now the bios sequence will not kick in.

Looks like a brick thanks to Ubuntu, any ideas on how to recover

RJARRRPCGP
October 24th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Ubuntu needs to disable the screen black out with the installer! :evil:

presence1960
October 25th, 2009, 03:00 AM
Downloaded the latest build to install on an Acer Travelmate. I followed the screen prompt then 30 seconds later, the screen dies, well fades out. So I reboot and now the bios sequence will not kick in.

Looks like a brick thanks to Ubuntu, any ideas on how to recover

I seriously doubt Ubuntu "bricked" your machine. I know that people when stuff happens they naturally blame Ubuntu. But usually 9 out of 10 times it is operator error.

P.S. just a hint: see this->
Looks like a brick thanks to Ubuntu, any ideas on how to recover Do you think that may have something to do with the lack of responses for over 9 hours thus far? Hopefully lesson learned!

dreamingdarkness
October 25th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Pull power cord.
Pull battery.
Let the PC sit for a couple minutes.
Put battery back in.
Put power cord back in.
Power PC back up.

See if that helps. Unless using a program specifically to do so, an OS of any type (Mac, Windows, Linux, Unix, etc) does NOT alter or impact the BIOS which is not stored on the hard drive and requires specific functions to be called to write or change it.

Mark Phelps
October 26th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Downloaded the latest build to install on an Acer Travelmate.

WHICH latest build? 9.04? or 9.10 RC? Makes a difference.

I followed the screen prompt then 30 seconds later, the screen dies, well fades out.
Does your laptop have an optical drive? If so, you should have used the LiveCD boot to confirm that Ubuntu would even WORK on your laptop -- BEFORE doing the install.

So I reboot and now the bios sequence will not kick in.

Looks like a brick thanks to Ubuntu ...

Ubuntu does NOTHING to the BIOS sequence. Period. What it does DO is modify the MBR so that, at boot time, it reads some files to find out which OSs you have on the machine and where they are located.

Since 9.04 and 9.10 use COMPLETELY DIFFERENT boot handlers, we need to know the specific version you installed.