PDA

View Full Version : How much time do you spend on your computer?

JugglinPhil
October 24th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Well I had a look around but seems like there hasn't been anything like this on ubuntuforums yet, correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, I'd like to know how much time you spend on your computer(s), how long per day on average.
If I don't have school work to do I'm on my laptop about an hour a day.
Greetings, JP

hessiess
October 24th, 2009, 06:05 PM
From the second I wake up, to the second that I go to sleep;)

Penguin Guy
October 24th, 2009, 06:09 PM
More than 9 hours - 50.00%
You guys are joking, right?

JugglinPhil
October 24th, 2009, 06:11 PM
From the second I wake up, to the second that I go to sleep;)
Wow, that's pretty crazy (not in an offensive way)! So what do you do on it all that time? I mean don't you go out for a walk or something every now and then?

JugglinPhil
October 24th, 2009, 06:12 PM
More than 9 hours - 50.00%You guys are joking, right?
That's what I thought as well..

cprofitt
October 24th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I am one of the rare, and lucky, people who work at what I love. I am a systems administrator and work on computers at least right hours a day. I then come home and typically spend as much as another eight hours on them as well. Yes, I do spend time with my family... I just do not sleep much.

JugglinPhil
October 24th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I am one of the rare, and lucky, people who work at what I love. I am a systems administrator and work on computers at least right hours a day. I then come home and typically spend as much as another eight hours on them as well. Yes, I do spend time with my family... I just do not sleep much.
I wouldn't even know what to do, I usually get bored after a while..

hessiess
October 24th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Wow, that's pretty crazy (not in an offensive way)! So what do you do on it all that time? I mean don't you go out for a walk or something every now and then?

Nope, never have the time. As of right now I am trying to manage a tun of collage work, an open source project, my 3D and 2D graphics work and and 2(soon to become 3) websites...

Jay Car
October 24th, 2009, 06:44 PM
My computer time is way over 9 hours a day, but it's divided up in several ways. There's work, of course, which consumes the biggest chunk of time.

Then there's time spent doing "family & friends" tasks, which include email, chat, or Facebook (gotta see those new pics of the grandkids!).

Then there's "computer time" focused on the computers themselves, making sure the day's work files are sorted out and backed up, and that the one remaining WinXP system is defragged, has all its security stuff updated, etc., etc. This end-of-day computer time also includes learning something new about my Linux machines. I try to read about and learn at least one new skill a month...sometimes this is fun, sometimes it's frustrating (with varying degrees of success), but it keeps my old brain working, so it's all good.

Then there's time helping friends with their computers, these days that part is a little less stressful since Windows users are now the minority in my circle of friends and family - and I am very proud of having helped to make that happen! :)

Finally, since I junked the last TV I owned a year ago, a connected computer is now my only source of news, weather, and movies.

The bad part of spending so much time with computers is that, when I'm out in the "real" world (for instance, driving on the freeway, looking for a parking spot, or waiting in a check-out line), I keep looking for the Delete button...life would be sooo much simpler with a real-life Delete button...maybe an Undo would be nice too.

:)

JugglinPhil
October 24th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Nope, never have the time. As of right now I am trying to manage a tun of collage work, an open source project, my 3D and 2D graphics work and and 2(soon to become 3) websites...
Don't you ever get fed up?

SuperSonic4
October 24th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Weekdays I rarely spend more than 4 hours on my home computer
On Weekends it's about 8 hours

When I was unemployed I was spending 17-18 hours a day online

Koosti
October 24th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Way too much.

Just got out of the army, I'm currently unemployed, and I really have no life whatsoever.

hessiess
October 24th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Don't you ever get fed up?

Sometimes yes, but I don't have any other options right now. If I could skip collage and do the work at home, I would have a lot more free time, but that isn't possible as you have to get a minimum attendance to pass.

maybe an Undo would be nice too.

this, especially while drawing;)

hoppipolla
October 24th, 2009, 06:56 PM
woah man you don't wanna KNOW! I am a proper addict I would tick a box but I would SCARE people lol

I do get myself away from it semi-regularly though coz I'm always hanging out with my housemates! But I'm working on some internet marketing projects and stuff so I'm just HOOKED right now :)

When they work... I use the money to travel the world O.O

And if they don't (which I dunno, they probs won't lol) I will get a new job coz heaven knows I need one! :)

CharlesA
October 24th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Use a computer at work, so 8+ hours there. Plus whatever time I spend on it at home. Maybe 4-5 hours at home, depending on what I am doing.

AKA: On machine too damn much.

Note: I am not on it constantly, since I am usually doing other things. :-P

clonne4crw
October 24th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Waaaaaaaay too long. I really hate being cooped up in front of my desk for 7+ hours a day, but I often have to, for work, school, and other stuff.

murderslastcrow
October 24th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Well, since my work computer is also my personal computer, the hours of work each day count for me on this. So usually when I'm not working, I read some comedic journalism and watch some light-hearted videos to make up for all the work I did.

Still, I rarely get more than 9 hours even then.

hoppipolla
October 24th, 2009, 08:33 PM
I wouldn't even know what to do, I usually get bored after a while..

Yeah that's thing I mean... you'd think it'd get boring but I somehow manage to KEEP finding things to do... I've been like this since I was a kid.

I'll be working on some online marketing, listening to tons of music I love, chatting to some friends or maybe a girl I haven't spoken to before, posting on here, I have a handful of little sites as well so I maintain those and stuff, chat to coders. I also love tinkering around with KDE and Linux but I don't do that too often, I more just like talking about it on here as I'm sure people have noticed xD

i dunno what else, but yeah somehow I have the kind of mind which just keeps finding things and likes the constant mental stimulation! :)

JugglinPhil
October 24th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Wow I can't believe it, I never thought there were that many people spending so much time on it. But on the other hand I also spend ages on juggling, so I suppose if it's your hobby and you're really into it I can kinda understand it...

hoppipolla
October 24th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Wow I can't believe it, I never thought there were that many people spending so much time on it. But on the other hand I also spend ages on juggling, so I suppose if it's your hobby and you're really into it I can kinda understand it...

well, with me it's not JUST because I want to it's also because I want to learn to make monies online and get better at it! :)

Squonk07
October 24th, 2009, 10:22 PM
My computers run more than nine hours a day (they run all day--don't tell Captain Planet), but sometimes I do have to do some other stuff. Like eating, sleeping, and going to class. I said six-to-seven hours, which seems about right once I subtract time for all the other stuff.

Granted, some days I spend far more time on the computer (like when I'm writing a paper that's due the next day). Some days I spend less. It averages out, though. I'm surprised that the results (at least as they stand when I'm typing this) are pretty flat until the "over nine hours" mark. I expected a bell curve around the middle. Granted the sample size is fairly small, so this could change drastically.

sdlynx
October 24th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I love how so many of us picked more than 9 hours :)

Jay Car
October 24th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I'm surprised that the results (at least as they stand when I'm typing this) are pretty flat until the "over nine hours" mark.

I think it's a testament to how many ways we've incorporated our computers into our daily lives. My work and home computers are the same, so they're put to many different tasks.

My computers are my phone books, atlases, reference library, work environment, communication, education tools, creative tools (no different in many ways from my old drawing table, and pens, ink, paints, brushes, acetate...and so on). I even use the computer for referencing recipes when I cook.

So, I actually spend the same amount of time doing the same things I've always done, only now I don't have to sharpen those pencils, refill those ink pens, dig out the old atlas or phone book or recipe books...

:)

hoppipolla
October 25th, 2009, 12:23 AM
I love how so many of us picked more than 9 hours :)

mad isn't it? I thought it was just me who spent way too long on this thing! xD

JugglinPhil
October 25th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Some of you said your computer is running all day but you're not on it all the time, so what I don't understand is why you have it running then.. I for myself write everything I have to do on my pc down, then switch it on once a day and do everything I need to do quickly as possible, everything else seems like a waste of time and electricity to me..

MelDJ
October 25th, 2009, 10:05 AM
why isn't there a 'how long mum decides to let me' choice? :)

samjh
October 25th, 2009, 10:09 AM
I'm astounded that so many people spend more than 9 hours a day on a computer. I presume it's because of work?

RichardLinx
October 25th, 2009, 10:16 AM
More than 9 hours
Sadly, 9 hours isn't even close to the amount I spend on my computer per day. I easily clock in about 14 hours a day. I installed the Firefox app "Time Tracker" and clocked 9:58:53 (Almost 10 hours) in one day, and time tracker doesn't count time when a page is loading and when the browser isn't in use. So including the time I spend using my computer for other things (games, movies, reading, etc) I'm spending a lot of time on it.

Now that I think about it, I might actually consider cutting down to 6 hours or so.

elliotn
October 25th, 2009, 10:24 AM
well i work 12hrs every 4 days with pc in my eyes. And at home use 2 hours on pc mostly flstudio 8 in wine

Exodist
October 25th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I spend more then 9 hours a day.

mivo
October 25th, 2009, 10:39 AM
There is always a computer around me, it seems. If I'm not near my two desktops, there is either the laptop or the netbook. The netbook especially has become an "always there" companion, and I usually end up taking it with me to bed too. So, it's probably 16-18 hours a day. :)

But it seems natural to me. I got my first real computer when I was 12, in the early 80s, and there's rarely been a day where I didn't have one around me for most of the day. I also have been online since '86, so life without an online connection seems rather surreal to me. :) Maybe that's sad!

On the flipside, I have not watched TV in years.

hoppipolla
October 25th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Sadly, 9 hours isn't even close to the amount I spend on my computer per day. I easily clock in about 14 hours a day. I installed the Firefox app "Time Tracker" and clocked 9:58:53 (Almost 10 hours) in one day, and time tracker doesn't count time when a page is loading and when the browser isn't in use. So including the time I spend using my computer for other things (games, movies, reading, etc) I'm spending a lot of time on it.

Now that I think about it, I might actually consider cutting down to 6 hours or so.

I think most of us KDE fans tend to also be complete computer addicts! lol

Yeah it is good to cut down, I am not that dreadful I mean I can be dragged away from it with SOME degree of ease! heh :)

And man for as long as Amarok keeps churning out such awesome songs THAT isn't happening anytime soon xD

JugglinPhil
October 25th, 2009, 01:42 PM
On the flipside, I have not watched TV in years.
In my eyes that's nothing to be really proud of if you spend that much time on your computer. I mean it's sort of obvious that you don't watch TV, otherwise you wouldn't even have time to sleep...

PetruM
October 25th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Over 9 hours a day, most of the time. I really should slow down. :(

Penguin Guy
October 25th, 2009, 03:09 PM
You must remember that the chance of someone who spends 2 hours a day on a computer finding this poll is twice as high of that of someone who spends 1 hour a day on a computer. Therefore the results are not at all what they seem. Dividing the frequency by the midpoint should give a stratified sample.

CharlesA
October 26th, 2009, 03:09 AM
Some of you said your computer is running all day but you're not on it all the time, so what I don't understand is why you have it running then.. I for myself write everything I have to do on my pc down, then switch it on once a day and do everything I need to do quickly as possible, everything else seems like a waste of time and electricity to me..

Out of all the machines I have at home, only one is on all the time: my server. The other 3 are either off are in "stand-by."

At work, there are a bunch of machines that are left on all the time, even if no one is using them. They are all set up for remote connectivity, so someone might need to connect to them at some time, and they cannot do that when the machines are in sleep mode. At least those machines share a monitor.

I'm astounded that so many people spend more than 9 hours a day on a computer. I presume it's because of work?

Yes, for my case it is, and I presume other's are the same way.

You must remember that the chance of someone who spends 2 hours a day on a computer finding this poll is twice as high of that of someone who spends 1 hour a day on a computer. Therefore the results are not at all what they seem. Dividing the frequency by the midpoint should give a stratified sample.

^ This. +1

mivo
October 26th, 2009, 03:18 AM
In my eyes that's nothing to be really proud of if you spend that much time on your computer. I mean it's sort of obvious that you don't watch TV, otherwise you wouldn't even have time to sleep...

I can watch streams on the computer anyway. Is it so strange that I use computers like a radio or a scratch pad? I am not spending every waking minute at a screen, but there is usually always a connected machine around if I need one. I also work in a field where it is desired that I am available for emergencies.

Computers just combine various other tools and devices. I assume you don't have a cellphone with added capabilities for mail, browsing, etc?

j7%<RmUg
October 26th, 2009, 04:16 AM
I typically am on from 7 in the morning till 10pm at night(if i have nothing else on that day.

Longest iv ever been on is from 7am one day till 1pm the next day. I only got off then because i got hungry.

JugglinPhil
October 26th, 2009, 06:15 PM
This is just crazy.

JugglinPhil
October 27th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Due to the results of this thread I decided to cut down my usage even more. ^^

RichardLinx
October 28th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Due to the results of this thread I decided to cut down my usage even more. ^^

Is that even possible? You were already only using your computer for one hour a day, what could you possibly be doing all day that's so important you can't spend some quality one on one time with your PC? Less than an hour a day... It's beyond me.:p

lisati
October 28th, 2009, 04:22 AM
I'm guessing 5-6 hours, depending on what real-life stuff needs attention. Sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less.

XDevHald
October 28th, 2009, 04:24 AM
I used to be on my computer for 7-8 hours a day but when I got married about a year and a half ago it went down to 3-4 in a whole day. Which is still a lot for an average user.

lisati
October 28th, 2009, 04:28 AM
I used to be on my computer for 7-8 hours a day but when I got married about a year and a half ago it went down to 3-4 in a whole day. Which is still a lot for an average user.

:lolflag: Mrs Lisati has acquired the useful but annoying skill of talking to me just as I'm typing something up.

JBAlaska
October 28th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Way over 9 hours a day for me, For example it's 36 deg F. outside and my air conditioner is on coping with the heat from my "Mini Cluster" LAN.

JugglinPhil
October 28th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Is that even possible? You were already only using your computer for one hour a day, what could you possibly be doing all day that's so important you can't spend some quality one on one time with your PC? Less than an hour a day... It's beyond me.:p
Well I just stop getting lost in the web and concentrate on what I have to do, to me reading a book, spending time with my girlfriend or going outside is way more of a quality time than using my computer. 'The things you own start owning you' (-Fight Club).

Xenix
October 28th, 2009, 06:05 PM

I leave my PC on 24/7 (all the time) because it's usually doing something, such as download overnight or whatever. Doing big downloads over night doesn't use up all my download quota during the peak hours (12 noon - midnight), but instead uses up my off-peak quota (midnight - 12 noon.) After I use up all my quota I am slowed down to 64k for the rest of the month, so I would rather avoid that. Also, by leaving the PC on all the time, I am able to jump on and off easily, if I can't sleep, for example. Besides, I use my PC too much to be constantly powering it up and down all the time (including sleeping / hibernating).

Nope. I spend anywhere up to 18 hours a day on the PC. None of it work related, all for leisure. Yes I have a girlfriend (who I actually live with and for nearly 8 years now) and life, no I am not living at home with my parents or in a basement (we don't have basements here anyway). :)

spupy
October 28th, 2009, 06:33 PM
http://www.theonion.com/content/news/report_90_of_waking_hours_spent

After working for 4+ hours, I go home for a relaxing couple more hours staring at the screen again. I begin to think that I may be some super-human - any other mortal would have his eyes melted by using glowing rectangles that much.
Thankfully I don't need glasses. Yet. :(

dj-toonz
October 28th, 2009, 07:11 PM
After working with them all day & on call out at night repairing them & using them so I spend about about 18 hours+ a day using them, then spend about 3 hours at home (when I have a break till next call out) even on time off i.e weekends, I leave desktop up & spend all the time on Fackbook, Twitter & just surfing & listening to Online Radio in the Background, so you could say I spend 24 hours on it, bar when I'm asleep :lolflag:

xuCGC002
October 28th, 2009, 08:07 PM
6-7 hours, usually. However that may increase during weekends.

NJC
October 28th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Oy. I voted >9hrs ... sounds like a fargin lot when put that way. All day at work 9hrs plus 2-3hrs at night. Not as much on weekends but it seems like there's always something to tweek, configure, learn, debug and wail and gnash teeth about. :mrgreen:

rockstarrem
October 28th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Yeah more than 9 hours for me.

j.bell730
October 28th, 2009, 11:47 PM
I voted >9 hours. I was on much less when I had a girlfriend (about 1 hour/day), but there's nothing to do in my city (and I really dislike my neighbors :-|), this is the most fun thing to do.

jrusso2
October 29th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Anyone who spends 9 hours or more per day on a computer and is not working with a computer needs to seriously get a life.

Xenix
October 29th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Anyone who spends 9 hours or more per day on a computer and is not working with a computer needs to seriously get a life.

I don't think you are in a position to tell people to "get a life" based on the amount of time they may spend using their PC. You do not know people's circumstances or have any sort of authority to make such a call. It isn't up to you to decide how people spend their time and doing one activity over another doesn't give you a right to tell people to "get a life".

bribera
October 29th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Let's see...

at least 8 hours at work cranking out code? Check.
use the computer frequently outside of work? Check.

Definitely 9+.

ninjapirate89
October 29th, 2009, 06:06 AM
I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one that spends at least 10 hrs a day on a computer.

Firestem4
October 29th, 2009, 06:44 AM
I misread the poll and thought it was per week lol, so I answered +9 hours.

with work I usually spend about 3-5 hours on my computer.

On school days I get maybe 2 hours.

JugglinPhil
October 29th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Haha good point, I'm with you on that one. :)

JillSwift
October 29th, 2009, 04:42 PM
And what of us who can't just jaunt outdoors when we want to?

People like you and your myopic views of other people need desperately to get a worthwhile life.

JugglinPhil
November 17th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Okay I'll just try to revive this thread, anybody else want to add to the poll?

Grenage
November 17th, 2009, 03:22 PM
What the hell.

Anywhere between 9-14 hours a day; I work with computers, my hobbies involve working with computers. Weekends tend to be 1-2 hours a day.

JugglinPhil
November 17th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Looks like I should've made the poll more like "less than 6 hours a day" and then go up, this isn't really accurate..
Anyway, how could I guess something like that?

mivo
November 17th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Anyway, how could I guess something like that?

The fact that this is a computer-oriented forum for an OS used by many computer enthusiasts, who are likely to also work in the IT field, didn't somehow make the expected results obvious? ;)

If you go to a forum for piano players, would you be surprised that many of them practice for many hours a day? Or if people in a forum for antique or tuned cars spend a lot of time working and and driving their automobiles?

la3r
November 17th, 2009, 04:00 PM
mmmhhh, not much just small 14 hours a'day I think... Yeah I'm THAT cool...
I don't see what so good about the real world anyway (just kidding(not about the hours(I like parentheses(yup for real![brackets are okay too{okay, now I'm bored}])))).

JugglinPhil
November 17th, 2009, 09:51 PM
mmmhhh, not much just small 14 hours a'day I think... Yeah I'm THAT cool...
I don't see what so good about the real world anyway (just kidding(not about the hours(I like parentheses(yup for real![brackets are okay too{okay, now I'm bored}])))).
Nice brackets.. ;) But seriously, don't you think 14 hours is quite a lot? I mean that's like 60% of the whole day.. And then you'll have to sleep as well, so do you actually have a what you call "real life" or is it just the computer all the time?

mivo
November 17th, 2009, 10:04 PM
You come across as judgmental and prejudiced.

What isn't "real life" about spending time at a computer? Is "real life" when you get smacked in a bar? Fall asleep in front of the TV? Waste time throwing up and down little colourful balls? :) What a productive way of spending time!

Many people here make their living in ways that involve computers. That means 8-12 hours a day weekday alone.

Supertramp1138
November 17th, 2009, 10:43 PM
I just lost my job not to long ago so i spend pretty much the whole day on the interwebz:guitar:

JugglinPhil
November 18th, 2009, 06:31 PM
What isn't "real life" about spending time at a computer?
I never said computers weren't real life, I just quoted la3r's terminology.

Is "real life" when you get smacked in a bar? Fall asleep in front of the TV? Waste time throwing up and down little colourful balls? :) What a productive way of spending time!
If that is your opinion about anything away from your screen then I truly feel sorry for you.

alphaniner
November 18th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Methinks both la3r and mivo were merely practicing the ancient art of sarcasm.

Anyhoo, I too am in the 'More than 9 hours' category.

JugglinPhil
November 18th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Methinks both la3r and mivo were merely practicing the ancient art of sarcasm.

Anyhoo, I too am in the 'More than 9 hours' category.
I still don't like being called judgmental and prejudiced, but yeah whatever.

alphaniner
November 18th, 2009, 07:05 PM
so do you actually have a what you call "real life" or is it just the computer all the time?

Some might consider that judgmental.

JugglinPhil
November 18th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Some might consider that judgmental.
How can a question be judgmental? I was just asking, not stating my own opinion.

BrokenKingpin
November 18th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I am on the computer 8+ hours throught the week as I am a full time programmer, so I am at the computer for 8 hours just for work.

usmanasim
November 18th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I am a college student spend all my free time on computer. Only bored of computers when have to do something academic. Otherwise computers are my world. Just pray that I clear my semester.

Zoot7
November 18th, 2009, 07:49 PM
About 6-7 hours I'd say. Factoring the time I spent coding in College these days in too.
Plus, I use either of my machines for everything; TV, Music, Games, Radio, Movies, Networking (messenger, skype, irc etc.)
Had I a console, or if I actually watched television, or if I didn't write/record my music with either of them, then the figure might be less. :)

wavery
November 18th, 2009, 07:59 PM
At least 8 hours per day at work, then a few hours a day at home.